Gotta love being an Aussie!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Fortunately of these where I live we only have four. Eastern browns, tigers, copperheads and red belly blacks. I never go a hunting season without seeing a tiger and a brown. Still alive though!

Come to australia Just be careful up of the salties, dingoes, blue ringed octopus, cone shells, funnel webs, irukandji and box jellyfish, the snakes and if you're really unlucky kangaroos and emus :) haha what a country I live in, still less scared of these than your bears and wolves!

http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html

Re: Gotta love being an Aussie!

Ironically of those the one they say is most deadly would be at the end of most peoples lists. The box jellyfish is often called the most venomous animal in the world as it can kill a man in 2 minutes (most people live though).

Hmm I might have to rethink this whole wanting to hunt in Australia thing....

As for wolves I applied for my tag this morning. Keep your fingers crossed. Pretty sure the muzzleloaders are getting benched for that hunt if I draw a tag. Call me chicken but I'll have my AR loaded with 30 rounds of 70 grain Barnes handloads.

Haha it's not too bad down south, we're croc and jellyfish free. All we worry about is snakes really and wild dog/dingoes in the high country. The closest I've come to injury has been from kangaroos, they usually disembowel at least one person a year but if you can grab em by the tail you're laughing. .

Be sure to post up your impending success! A wolf and black bear are on my list for the states someday. Make a great mount. What state are you chasing them in?

JPHunting said:
Be sure to post up your impending success! A wolf and black bear are on my list for the states someday. Make a great mount. What state are you chasing them in?

North eastern Minnesota. The wolves have destroyed our deer heard up there to the point the deer season is bucks only this year. Im heading up there tonight to check our cameras. I have little faith that I am going to have any pics of deer and the cameras been up for 3 months. We will see...

Really? That's ridiculous, wolf tags should be unlimited OTC!
Hopefully you're wrong and there is a big bruiser for you there!

Well the camera's reveled what I had suspected... I set my camera out June 22nd. There was 5 pics of one skinny doe the night I put the camera out and nothing but rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, and moving leaves after that. And it wasn't the camera as it took pics of me and the dog walking up to the camera to check it on Saturday... We had 3 camera's up total and 3 deer total on the pics, 4 wolves and 3 different bears. One bear decided one camera didn't need to be there anymore as we have pics of him walking up to the camera and then a pic of his mouth opening over it, then 500+ pics of clouds going by lol. They have chewed them up before but this is the first time they just bite it off and left it. Im putting all my eggs in one basket of hoping to get drawn for a special state park muzzleloader hunt. Really hoping for that wolf tag tho!

That's a damned shame, at least you got some cool bear pics though! is the state government at Least trying to rectify the issue With the wolves? I work in environment and conservation over here and one of the biggest mistakes I see being made is with things like that. With wolves for example, maybe they were there at one point and you could look at it as a simple thing of reintroducing them to bring things back to a natural balance. But where it falls short is not realising or even considering that ok this one thing has changed but so have many other things and in a lot of landscapes it's changed so much what used to work won't necessarily work anymore...if that makes sense. In other words A, B and C might have created a balance 150 years ago and if A disappears you might think brining it back will fix things not considering that over time B and C have changed too so often you're looking at a completely new scenario where there isn't room for A, at least not in the way it was before.

People look at me like I'm taking crazy pills here though when I try to make that point.

JPHunting said:
That's a damned shame, at least you got some cool bear pics though! is the state government at Least trying to rectify the issue With the wolves? I work in environment and conservation over here and one of the biggest mistakes I see being made is with things like that. With wolves for example, maybe they were there at one point and you could look at it as a simple thing of reintroducing them to bring things back to a natural balance. But where it falls short is not realising or even considering that ok this one thing has changed but so have many other things and in a lot of landscapes it's changed so much what used to work won't necessarily work anymore...if that makes sense. In other words A, B and C might have created a balance 150 years ago and if A disappears you might think brining it back will fix things not considering that over time B and C have changed too so often you're looking at a completely new scenario where there isn't room for A, at least not in the way it was before.

People look at me like I'm taking crazy pills here though when I try to make that point.

Actually that is one of the better ways to describe the current wolf situation, and what is going wrong with the reintroductions. On paper, it seems like a good idea, but they're finding out that it isn't working out as they thought. Also, in my home state of PA, they secretly reintroduced mountain lions, and their population has grown enough to where the Game Commission now will admit that they were introduced. It's only a matter of time before PA adds a season for them as well.

Well I did not get drawn for a wolf tag yet again :cry: ... The part that bugs me is there is no preference points for wolf tags, it is completely random. So someone applying for the first time has as good of shot as I do with 3 years in... oh well.

Back