Skull Mount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to skull mounting my 8pt from last year. My plan was to let nature take it's course and remove all of the flesh from my mount but, as usual, I had a busy summer and never got around to it.

I used the slow simmer method (outdoors on the grill, trying to stay on the Wifey's good side, hunting season right around the corner!). After a little scraping, a good power washing really gets most of the unwanted matter off the bone.

Still a little wet from the washing but ready for some whitening.
Copyof20138pt_zps80735fde.jpg

I use hydrogen peroxide 3% from Walmart. It is cheap and does a decent job of whitening but I was wondering, have any of you used hair bleaching kits or something similar? I'm looking for something with a higher percentage of peroxide.

Also, anyone come across a nice plaque to put the mount on, something muzzleloader related? Or any thoughts to what would make a good background plaque, muzzleloader related.

My whitened with 3% peroxide 10pt from a couple of years ago next to my un-whitened 8pt.
Copyof201110ptand20138pt_zps3a0a8f58.jpg

nicely done! I used the same method a few years ago on my 10 I shot. Then I ended up dropping it when we moved so now the skull looks like he was a car accident victim :x

That rack on the right is a beauty

:D

Nice bucks there and your going to have a nice pair when your done.

Ray........... :yeah:

very nice job. I never thought of using the power washer.

Nice uniformity on the deer. I thought the hydrogen peroxide was the way to go especially over chlorine bleach that had a tendency to make the bones brittle. What you are doing seems to be working well.

I have done a couple of these and have used the 40 volume clear developer for hair care with good luck. Some use the cream developer with good luck. It goes on with a brush and stays in place. I will try the cream on my next project. I have 4 skulls soaking in bucket right now. Be careful, the 40 will burn your skin.
Don

Back