Triple 7 powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringtalker

Reaction score
Why is it that alot of people dont like this powder. They say its nasty, messy, leaves a crud ring or whatever. In my cva wolf it will shoot lights out. My 3 shot groups are one bullet hole. As far as clean up, i can have my gun clean in 10 minutes, easiest powder to clean i have used. Its the best IMO

Many people don't actually dislike it, they just don't prefer it. Before BlackHorn 209 this was THE powder to shoot. It was powerful, and did not rust as fast as other powders. As BlackHorn got into the market "some" people drifted away because they did not like the swabbing between shots. And while not everyone suffers the crud ring that many hate, some have real bad times with crud rings. I personally like triple seven in some of my rifles. If this powder works for you, then by all means... use it. Its a great powder.

I'm still on the 777 band wagon. I have always had good luck with it and no need to switch. Yes I do get the crud ring with my Omega but have never really minded swabbing between shots. Years ago after the season I bought 10 lbs from Walmart for under $10 a piece (something like that as I don't remember 100%) But anyway I am down to my last pound now so may try Blackhorn finally to see what all the rave is about.

I seldom use it simply because i can get real Swiss BP for nearly the same price. No crud ring with Swiss and close to the same velocity. Swiss also works in anything including flintlocks.

So i either use BH209 or real Swiss BP.

I used T7 for a long time and would still use it today. Since getting a inline I went with White hots and love them. Not as much smoke as T7 and even more easy to clean. Love the pellets for hunting purpose rather than messing around with loose powder.

That said, if I spent a considerable about of time on the range I would spend the money and convert to BH209 just to tweak it. So far I cant see my load setup get any better than what it is. Remington MZ 209 primer, 2 White Hots pellets "100g" and Hornady SST or XTP in 250g.

GM54-120 said:
I seldom use it simply because i can get real Swiss BP for nearly the same price. No crud ring with Swiss and close to the same velocity. Swiss also works in anything including flintlocks.

Love that Swiss. Got a good source here in central KY where it is only $22.50 per pound. Very light fouling, only thing lighter is BH209 which is $35/lb out the door in KY.

rwbaker said:
209 primers are to hot for 777 that's why the crud ring .
I dont get the crud ring in my cva wolf, i use winchester triple seven 209 primers too. I can shoot my gun around 5 to 6 times with accuracy concerns, very easily cleaned up with warm water

JStanley said:
GM54-120 said:

Love that Swiss. Got a good source here in central KY where it is only $22.50 per pound. Very light fouling, only thing lighter is BH209 which is $35/lb out the door in KY.

I pay around $24/lb here. Last time i checked T7 was nearly the same price. Works fine with full strength or T7 primers. Love the mild fouling too. Goes boom every time. My Knights get hardly any blowby so cleanup is pretty easy for real BP.

Triple7 always gave me a crud ring with any 209 primer. T7 pellets were horrible. After looking at the MSDS, i cant imagine WhiteHots are much different.

stringtalker said:
rwbaker said:
209 primers are to hot for 777 that's why the crud ring .
I dont get the crud ring in my cva wolf, i use winchester triple seven 209 primers too. I can shoot my gun around 5 to 6 times with accuracy concerns, very easily cleaned up with warm water
I was hunting one time with 777 primers nice buck came and the primer was weak the rifle never went off and the buck was gone . Last time I shot 777 primers when hunting ! If the weather is nasty loaded a hotter primer .

Latest posts

Back