How Do You Pronounce "Sabot?"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrah

Reaction score
Age old question (at least I think it is). How do you pronounce "sabot"?

1. Say-Bow
2. Sabbit (like sabbath)

Just curious.

Emrah

BuckDoeHunter said:
I say sabit most of the time...have a hard time with sabow, sabow just sounds strange to me

Agreed on the "strange" thing. I think say-bow is morer correcter but it I just feel know-it-allish when I say it that way. Same with coyote.

Emrah

Re: How Do You Pronounce

It all depends if im talking to Del. When im talking to him its Say Bo or Sa Bo. :D

sa' (hard a sound) bot (as in robot) and then my friends all laugh and correct me. The first time I heard them called saa-bow I was not sure what he meant. When he explained it was a french word, I just agreed.

If you go to the Websters Dictionary where they will pronounce the word, they say.. saa-bow ": a thrust-transmitting carrier that positions a missile in a gun barrel or launching tube and that prevents the escape of gas ahead of the missile."

Since now one ever taught me how to say it, my poor northern Wisconsin brain had to take over.

I called 'em sabbits until an army tank driving friend told me about the say bow rounds they were firing in the Gulf War. Now I kinda stumble between the two. :huh?:

In my head or when I read it I say "sabbit" but when talking I try and say sabo... but it sounds funny.

It's a French word meaning, SHOE.......... SA BO :wink:

Ray......... :yeah:

I've heard them called both ways, but I usu call them say bows.

David

Back