Hunter Ed Program

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend was our all day field testing day, we start out with some class room time then out to the field dressing part of the class, yes we get the chance to take 2 deer for each class. Some farmers have a lot of crop damage from Whitetail deer, we get 2 harvest tags from the DNR, none of the meat is wasted, if there is a needy family in class then they get the deer if not we use the meat to make BBQ for the next class, a whole nesco is eaten at each class. They are then broken up into 5 groups, Tom Gessner a Columbia Co. Sheriffs Deputy and myself teach the ML part of the class. The Ml's used are a .50 Traditions Vortex & 2 of my .50 Knights Disc's & if needed one of my .45 Disc MHC. We had 42 students along with about 6 adults, we really had a great time again without any problems a all with the ML'S. We shoot 50 yards and use milk jugs and balloons, we had one very small girl that was a little hesitant about shooting but after a little convincing she stepped up and when all was done she shot and broke 4 balloons.

There are a few people I would like to thank for helping out, ( Carlos & Del Ramsey ) Carlos from Ed's Gun Shop in Rockingham NC. for donating a .50 Traditions Vortex Ml, and Del Ramsey for some of the SABOTS that we use in class. THANKS VERY MUCH. We use the Green MMP sabots with the .430 44-40 bullets and for the .45 we use the BLUE .355-.357 sabots and use the 9mm or .380 147 gr. bullets. We shoot .70 grs. of Pyro RS for powder and with the .50 Knight's we use the Red Primer Holder Jacket, it's easier for the kids to handle.

Wisconsin has a mentor program to get young students involved in the Hunter Ed Program, it seems like everyone is to busy to get involved, so I lit a spark under there butts, a few years ago I picked up 2 CVA .50 BuckHorn Mags from Wal-Mart for $100.00 each, to have a chance to win the ML, they must do an essay with words and subjects out of their hand book, it didn't seem like there was much interest until I held up the ML, that they would have a chance to win. :yeah: the winner will receive the ML in front of the fall class to further inspire that class. All in all we had a great time and no one fainted while field dressing the deer. It's quite interesting watching someone just tip over like a tree after it's cut. :lol:

A great program! Thanks for taking the time, effort and all else to help young people. I am sure the sense of satisfaction you get out of mentoring and teaching the young people is a reward in its self. Way to go!

Glad you are able to help out and to all that contributed. Worthwhile programs

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Great job sqezer :!: :!: I'm sure those kids really enjoyed being there for this class. Thanks for giving up your time to educate kids about the out doors. Your services are highly appreciated. :wink:

Ray.............. 8)

Sqezer, Thanks for the time you take to teach kids about muzzle loading for their future and the future of hunting and shooting sports. I'm sure there are a few life lessons taught as well.

Great Job!

Scott :D

Another Big Thumbs up here too. :yeah: Thanks for helping out our Youth :goodman:

Thanks for the kind replies, the all day program has it's challenges also, first it's the weather, we start off with some classroom time, then field dress of 1 or 2 deer, then we breakup into 5 groups. The 1st. group goes back into the classroom for student book review, 2nd group goes to the Pistol Range for .22 shooting, 3rd group goes to the Archery Range, 4th group goes to the Woods for fence crossing, safe gun caring, and blood trailing, 5th group goes to the Rifle Range for Muzzle loading shooting. We rotate the groups every 45 min. to 1 hr. At noon it's lunch time, we serve Venison BBQ, chip, soup or chilly, brownies, cookies, and soda. Start time is 8:00 am and we finish around 2:30 or 3:00 pm. It gets really crazy at time.

I forgot to mention at first that the State of Wisconsin has been auditing all of the Hunter Education Classes for the last few years, well this was our turn to be audited, the auditor attends all 5 classes along with the Saturday all day class. After I gave my presentation for the ESSAY Contest to win a muzzle loader the auditor addressed the class. The auditor told the class that you students are very very lucky to have such a great group of instructors here at The Portage Rod & Gun Club, I have been doing this for a long time and this group of instructors rank in the top 3 if not the # 1 group of instructors I have ever seen. WOW, we have always tried to do our best, it's for the future of our Sport, be it Hunting, Target Shooting, or to Protect OUR 2ND. AMENDMENT. Thanks, LRroy Welter.

Back