info on old flintlock rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentmc

Reaction score
I have an old flintlock rifle wifh short ivory and wood stock, about 5 feet long total, rough condition, and 2 powder carriers/horns. Im looking for someone that may be able to give me some info on them (country of orgin, approx date of manufacture, value, etc.) Any leads on someone to talk to would be appreciated. Im trying to attach pictures but im a little slow with technology.

:D

FIRST OFF.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!: :!: Sorry I can't help with your question but it won't be long before you'll get some help. Great bunch of guys here that are always willing to help.
That rifle sounds interesting. Hope you can get some pics posted. I get mine out of my photo bucket. GOOD LUCK :!: :!:

Ray........... :yeah:

Welcome to the forum. The hard part of identification of old Flintlock rifles are, there were thousands of shops and people that manufactured them and or changed them over from military rifles. Look for identification marks on the rifle, manufacuture names and marks, and try and decide what caliber the rifle might be. I have some knowledge on manufactured rifles from companies like Lyman, T/C, CVA, Traditions, etc but custom rifles are really hard to figure out. If they have no markings.

Can you post pictures? I'd love to see the rifle.

20150510_202519_zpscmmobyla.jpg

20150510_202514_zps8dbtatp7.jpg

20150510_202638_zpsabftv5vj.jpg

20150510_202624_zpsro6vefzx.jpg

20150510_202616_zpsbos5kk8k.jpg

20150510_202506_zpsrxnhksnf.jpg

there is some writing or engraving on the top of the barrel, but it is unlegable due to the rust. I can make out 119 and thats about it. the whitish yellow in the stock is ivory, and the silver plate were the stock meets the barrel appears to be aftermarket. the knife is inlayed with silver. Thanks again for any info.

it looks like one of them camel rifles..was long to rest on the camels head..lol....looks from the middle east or pakistan area..afghanastan ..india..lol...

That is what it looks to me also. An "Arabian Camel Rifle." Many of them are .72-.73 caliber as they were made from parts from the British Brown Bess. And as far as who made it, many were hand made. When my brother in law was stationed in Afghanistan he had a chance to purchase one from a nab at some flea market but decided he had no use for it. He's no longer welcome at my house! Just kidding, but I was kind of upset as I would have loved to add one to my collection just to have it.

About all you can do is clean the rifle up. Look for a crown on the lock plate. If you find one, it was from a Bess. And many were Muskets not rifles. Meaning they were smoothbore. Just drop a light down the barrel and you can check that. You got a cool wall hanger there.

Interesting rifle, far more interesting flask and horn. The flask looks European in origin but the powder horn is much more likely of Middle Eastern descent. I've seen a lot of this type of rifle at gun shows over the years, but never seen a horn like that one. Nice set!

Latest posts

Back