..Are you ready..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer

Reaction score
8)

Today marks another day closer to deer Hunting Season............
I already picked up my new hunting license and habitat stamp..........................................................check
Applied for my deer permits, tags, back in March for the county I hunt. Permits arrived last week.................check
Reserved my room at the Lodge for 10 days back in March............Confirmed room today.........................check

Now it's the waiting :wall: I know it's only 4 months away but it's going to be a long 4 months for me. Hope your all ready and good hunting :!: :!:

Ray............. :yeah:

I just stop by Wally World for my tags on the way to my comfy heated and furnished loft in the pole barn. Hot shower and satellite TV/Internet. Its about a 300 yard walk to my stand. :D

Hunting is rough i tell you.

I get an early hunting treat this year with my bear hunt that starts Sept 1st. No waiting till mid November to hunt big game! Pulled the camper into the woods and mowed camp on Saturday so that's all ready when I start baiting in 3 weeks.

We don't even find out our deer regs for the year until the 1st week in August. Starting next week I start checking the DNR website daily to see if they have been posted yet.

Thanks for the reminder though, i almost forgot to put in for one of our managed ML only hunts. Those are by lottery and you get preference points if not chosen. I put in for very hard to get areas until we have enough in our group that want a specific area hunt. If one gets chosen we all get chosen :D

Our first hunt will be in late September, kids youth hunt. My two youngest boys for sure and my youngest daughter a maybe. Took all 3 to the range yesterday and they all did great :yeah:

Going scouting after our fishing vacation first week in August, more for how the crops got planted on the public ground and to plan who goes where on the first day.

Tags are over the counter and the extra doe permits are usually available for a while in the counties we hunt.

After the youth season starts, it's none stop til around January 10th, we go youth gun, bow, shotgun (only muzzys for us though :yeah: ) late muzzleloader, it's that time of year that can't come fast enough for me and the family 8)

Looking forward to it for sure :D

Only 2 more months!!!

I had forgotten i bought a extra freezer since the move. Now ive got enough room for more than one deer. :D

Our managed hunt tags dont count against our regular tags. I put in for the earlier 2 doe managed hunt. I could have chosen the later extra doe and a buck hunt but i dont eat horns. This place has monster bucks and it will be my bad luck that is all i see if chosen. :p

Man I have a few weeks, Bow season here runs pretty much sept 1 through jan, feb in some zones. shotgun buck is first monday in dec for a week. muzzy a few weeks here and there every zone. 1-2 bucks per season per weapon, and most zones are unlimited doe. baiting is legal. deer dont get too big, but most areas have plenty

My first hunt will be in New Foundland Canada for Moose with add on Bear if we happen to run into one. It is a fly in hunt for 10 days. I can't wait!!!!! It is my first moose hunt and first to New Foundland. Hunted bear in other provinces. So I am stoked. I do have my muzzy tag and full season firearm tag for IL. Arrived last week also. Hoping for a great year.

air_rn said:
My first hunt will be in New Foundland Canada for Moose with add on Bear if we happen to run into one. It is a fly in hunt for 10 days. I can't wait!!!!! It is my first moose hunt and first to New Foundland. Hunted bear in other provinces. So I am stoked. I do have my muzzy tag and full season firearm tag for IL. Arrived last week also. Hoping for a great year.

Man that sounds like a dream hunt!!! Nothing beats moose meat! Hope you fill your tags.

Squeeze said:
Man I have a few weeks, Bow season here runs pretty much sept 1 through jan, feb in some zones. shotgun buck is first monday in dec for a week. muzzy a few weeks here and there every zone. 1-2 bucks per season per weapon, and most zones are unlimited doe. baiting is legal. deer dont get too big, but most areas have plenty

That's crazy you can shoot that many deer! I would love that. Here you get 1 period. There are very few zones you can take 2. But most of the state is 1, no matter which weapon. So if you fill your tag in the early archery season your guns never even get to come out. Sure makes you think twice about pulling the trigger.

We can take 1 "any deer" and 1 antlerless deer in most of the state. Antlerless includes button bucks. Some counties offer unlimited doe tags. Our deer tags include firearms and MLers. We don't get separate tags although the seasons are separate. A few counties have a antler length requirement.

The only way we can take more than one buck is with an archery permit or by managed hunt tags. Two deer is really enough to get me through until the next season but we have or had a funny law. All deer meat needs to be consumed by i think July. I believe they removed that law now.

:D

There's no problem with PERMITS, tags here in IL. You can apply for what you want and after all the permits are sent to all the hunters who applied, both resident and non resident, what ever is left over for the entire state gets sold OTC. I usually buy and extra tag just in case I have a chance to help out with feeding a hungry family.

Ray................. :yeah:

SUCCESS!!!!

Congratulations! You were drawn for the hunt listed below.

Hunt #57
August A. Busch CA
Nov14th-Nov16th

I applied for the early muzzleloader doe hunt which is good for 2 doe that don't count against the regular deer tag.

NICE! Boy, I guess I am spoiled. I am used to eating ~ 3 deer a year. Venison, every time is a delicious meal. Especially when I see the price of beef. I always hesitate on buying beef. Unless you shell out top dollar for a prime rib, or top end cut, I am almost always dissapointed. It ends up some tough and flavorless chunk that might as well be a piece of burro butt. In my head, I attribute this to the rampant use of steroids and growth hormones. I butcher my own deer and I know how it was treated, and where it came from.

This area is known for some monsters and has a very good success rate. Deer population in this area is VERY high. I was tempted to apply for the later hunt which allows one buck but i cant eat horns. I can legally harvest 4 deer this year but i can only fit two in the new freezer. Venison can easily replace over 90% of the dishes i make with beef. IMO many taste better with venison such as chili and even curry.

I cant believe i was drawn on the first attempt for this hunt. There are only 100 drawn out of many thousands of applicants.

I butcher my own deer and I know how it was treated, and where it came from.

I completely agree! Care from the time it goes down to the Freezer makes all the difference. :yeah: Just had Venison stir fry this evening. Yum!

I eat 2 a year if they are both good size, if small 3, and I live alone. About the only beef I buy is just a small amount of burger to mix with my own ground Venison for meatloaf.

I agree GM, can't eat them Horns, not that I would not take a big one. :wink: If I see a nice big doe and a smallish buck together, the doe's going to the freezer. :D

Latest posts

Back