flying with a muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ ridgerunner

Reaction score
I have flown with rifles before but 1st time flying with muzzleloader.
Can't fly with powder or primers.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
Should I take a chance on buying what I need when I Arrive or should I use UPS and mail to destination.
Heading to Arkansas Oct 16 for a week.
Any advise would be helpful.

It's about impossible for a private individual to ship power, or check it on an airline flight. The primers maybe in small amounts, treated like ammo. I would call around to your destination and line supplies up, gun store or an outdoor contact.

I would just take the gun and get the rest out there.

It would be best to buy locally. If you are hunting with a guide he can tell you where to get your preferred supplies or maybe he can have them waiting. As mentioned it is hard for an individual to ship them ahead. You cannot take Powder or Primers on the plane. Check your Carriers website and usually in the Baggage FAQ's you can find what is allowed for Firearms in "Special Baggage".

This is from the SouthWest site...
""Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.""

If you are willing to pay the Hazmat Fee you can contact an only dealer such as Graf and Sons. Graf will ship to another location, or at least I have done it in the past. If you are visiting a friend or family then ask them about local dealers and then get the phone numbers and call and ask if they carry what you want.

I would try to ship powder/primers ahead. I dont know the laws on hazmat, or if anyone can ship that way. But theres too much invested in a hunting trip to get there and hope you can gather the specifics you need. You could waste days and still not get what you want, and possibly be lucky to get alternates. what are the specifics of airline limitations? No full powder cans, but they do allow ammo, so would full charge tubes pass? I havent flown with guns since before 9-11, so I really dont know. But hoping to gather at the destination is a crap shoot. I wouldnt even trust some store employee's stock estimates, Ive been burned that way just on local stuff way too often already.

Each airline has their own rules that they usually post on their website. Here is Delta's. I take everything I need in a metal gun case except the powder and primers but I was told I could bring the primers if I kept them in factory packaging. I just have my brother buy the powder and primers and have them waiting for me upon my arrival in Iowa.

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

•Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
•Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
•All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
•Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
•Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
•Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
•Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
•You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website.

•If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
The following types of ammunition are not accepted:

•Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
•Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
•Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:

•Pistol telescopes
•Noise suppressors
•A small pistol tool case
•No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case

Thanks for info guys. Flying Southwest. Daughter lives out there and I am lucky enough to be invited by in laws to hunt their cattle farm.
I found I can ship primers and powder UPS for a 20 dollar hazmat fee plus shipping cost. It is an option. If I can't find what I need out there ( Walmart has almost everything) I was thinking about buying a gun and ammo and just leave it there so I can use it every year.
If it does not work I will just go back to driving 20 hours.

NJ ridgerunner said:
Thanks for info guys. Flying Southwest. Daughter lives out there and I am lucky enough to be invited by in laws to hunt their cattle farm.
I found I can ship primers and powder UPS for a 20 dollar hazmat fee plus shipping cost. It is an option. If I can't find what I need out there ( Walmart has almost everything) I was thinking about buying a gun and ammo and just leave it there so I can use it every year.
If it does not work I will just go back to driving 20 hours.

I flew southwest about 5 1/2 years ago with 2 custom varmint rigs. I read a couple articles that had just came out in NAHC and NRA mags, those writers (I seem to remember it was Ron Spomer and Bryce Townsley) had mentioned making arrangements with the guide you use to have the BP supplies for you or ship in advance so that is why I mentioned it. I also called and spoke to Southwest Customer service about flying with firearms, since I had never done it. They were very helpful and it did not bother them at all. One thing you can't do is to check in Curbside, if they ask tell them you have a firearm to check. They will tell you that you must go inside because you have a firearm. Once at the counter they might try to send you to a Kiosk for Check in to keep the line moving, be sure to tell the agent you have a firearm to check and he/she will take you right there, can't check firearms at a Kiosk. They will call a code out over the PA while they check you and your bags and an NTS Officer will come over to inspect the rifle and case. He will just have you take it to a counter and once on the counter you step back and let him check it. THEN he will place the Firearm tag inside and Tell you to Close it and lock the case while he observes (This is the only luggage that does get locked). After that you do not get to touch the case till you arrive at your destination, he will take it and send it on to the plane with the rest of the luggage. It will be brought out to you by a Baggage guy instead of go down carrousel when you arrive at your destination. I know this might sound like a big deal, but it was not and Southwest knew exactly what to do and made it very easy. Actually those writers I mentioned Rated Southwest as the most firearm friendly airline. I even had a couple of the NTS Offices comment on the case I had as they said they liked it and had never seen one like it (Storm, VERY Sturdy). I was sort of nervous going in and it really only took a few minutes more and they all made it very easy. I also had the bolts out and a trigger lock on them too. I would go with them again without hesitating.

If you have time till the flight I would just write down (or email) the type of powder and primer you use and ask a family member if they minded picking them up in advance. Then if they don't mind just leave what left for the next trip. IF they have a Vacuum packer I would vacuum pack both and you can be sure that they should be good next trip out.

Latest posts

Back