Premium in-line muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtdobber

Reaction score
Fellow smokers;
I have an itch for another in-line. I had a Knight Mountaineer ordered and abruptly canceled the order at the suggestion of the owner of Knight Rifles. With that said I still would like to own another premium in-line. Mr. "Knight" himself suggested that I buy a CVA or in his words another POS. What an arrogant bastard!
Can I get an un-biased opinion? I currently have a LHR Redemption 24" walnut. Nice gun, however, the company has already bailed on their customers. The life time warranty will end as soon as the LLC is dissolved in 2016.
I have a second ML which is a Remington 700 ML. I've shot this rifle for several years with success. Any suggestions?

I don't know what's up with Knight but that is a bit disturbing as I am a big Knight fan. :shock: :huh?:

If you want a real premium inline, you might want to check out the new Cooper, it is a great looking rifle. It a good bit more than a Mountaineer, but It really looks like it would be worth the money. Look in the Inline forum for some posts on them.

If the idea of of Knight is mostly off the table maybe a T/C Encore? That Cooper mentioned sure seems nice. Those would be the top two I would look into.

I would buy a cvaa apex Muzzleloader before a tc encore if buying new.
Best choice would be rebarrel and new stock for your700 ml and a custom breech with hunter bolt nose kit.
Fast twist45 cal

I have Knights and CVA's ..to be honest my Accura's shoot as good as my knights out to 200 yards...

It is a shame how Knight has been doing things lately...some times I wonder if they want to bail out of the rifle game and hope for some one to buy them out...

and as far as what Bestill said "I would buy a cvaa apex Muzzleloader before a tc encore if buying new" thats spot on...the Apex is a great rifle for the money and well built...the Encores are not the same since S&W has been building them...

The Apex is a nice carry rifle and shoots well...I have shot a few that friends have and its nice ...

I have a Rem 700ml converted also ..its a .45 with a shilen barrel...on a boyds stock ...it shoots great...and having another done in a .40 now...but the .45 is a heavy rifle to carry...great stand or blind rife...

My first choice would be the Apex..great all around rifle and can change barrels to your needs...plus CVA has great customer service..thats a plus ...

Al

Your Rem700ML is easily converted to whatever level of "premium" you wish to pursue. The aftermarket options are endless. Everything from triggers to stocks to barrels is just a phone call or a mouse click away.

For what its worth ... if I were looking for a premium inline rifle, I am not sure what brand I would get. I personally have not dealt with Knight recently, but reading your post ... wow! I am also not a fan of T/C ever since they went to Smith & Wesson as I see problems with them. They completely abandoned their traditional line which really upset me, yes even angered me. I can say I am very pleased with my CVA Optima. I can't find anything bad to say about it. And now with a Redfield scope on it, the rifle preforms perfect. (thanks for the heads up on that Redfield Revenge)

I guess I would look at the CVA line. But unlike you, inlines have lost their charm to me. Have you ever considered a good traditional rifle? I can not tell you how much fun I have shooting them. But each to their own. So ... inline ... CVA Accura maybe. At least look at the different rifles and handle them if possible. And of course there is the custom road.

I took the advice I received on this forum and decided to build on my 700 ML platform. I went to Boyd's and ordered the Forest Green Thumbhole laminate for the 700 ML. My next upgrade will be the trigger. This gun is 23 years old and has already had a visit to the gun smith for trigger issues a couple years back. I'm gonna go with a Timney trigger and have the pull factory set at 2.5 lbs. My final upgrade will be the 209 primer upgrade. I currently shoot the 209's, however, there is a better system available now which completely seals the powder blow back (www.Badgerridgeind.com). With these upgrades I should have a "premium" smoke pole.

Check out these triggers. So far the reviews have been pretty positive.
http://www.triggertech.com/rem-700.html

Frictionless Release Technology (FRT)™ Rem 700, 1.5-4lb (600-1800 grams) adjustable drop-in trigger
5163679.png

BTW why not contact Derfhunter here on the board. He is the one that makes the 209 bolt kit and i believe he sells it cheaper than Badger.

PM him memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7198

Sent my Remington 700 ML bolt to Tom Hood of Badger Ridge Industries in Suffolk, VA. He did his magic and returned the refit in a jiffy. I think total time was five days including travel time (USPS). Rifle is now re-assembled in it's new Boyd's furniture. I say furniture because it's just that. The Featherweight Thumbhole in Forest Green is awesome and the length of pull fits me too a Tee. I only wish Boyd's pre drilled the Ram Rod channel. It would have then been perfection. It had a Timney trigger installed a few years back. This rifle is "Bad to the Bone" and lethal. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Santa Claus has definitely come early to the Rouse house.

Latest posts

Back