BH209 Conversion: Boy Was I Wrong!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrah

Reaction score
When I switched to BH209, I bought a clear generic graduated powder tube. I developed my load of 100 gr. volume under a 250gr Barnes TEZ. I even killed a buck last weekend.

Well tonight I actually weighed my charge. What I thought was 100 gr by volume actually weighed 83.5 gr. (not 70 like a .7 conversion should weigh).

And when I actually weighed 70 gr by weight and poured that in my powder tube, it came up to just below the 90 graduation line.

This means I've actually been shooting almost 120 grains by volume, not 100 like I thought. Good thing I wasn't upping my charges!

I'll continue to weigh my charges, but what is the "best" and most accurate powder tube that's graduated for use with BH209?

Emrah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what it the best, but I have 2 that I use that seem to work fine for me. One is the TC U-view clear plastic measure, the other is a Brass measure I've had for about 25yrs. No idea what brand. I actually think I like the brass one better.

They both measure volume the same, and weigh out 100gr BH209 at 70. I don't weigh my charges typically. In the little bit I've tested, my volume measurements have been consistent enough that I'm not worried about making sure they are 100% exact. Obviously if I was shooting competitively it would be different.

One thing I learned here this past year, not all powder measures give you the same volume measurements. I never thought that it might not be right. Seems like there would be a standard, but maybe that isn't the case.

I'm guessing when you say graduated tube, you weren't using an adjustable black powder measuring tool?

From reading some reviews, even the graduated tubes marked BlackHorn 209 can be off some.

The graduated tube you used, is it for black powder by volume or is a tube with milliliter markings on it?

My brass powder measure (10-120gr by volume) with a swivel funnel on top, does a nice job of measuring powder. When I pour powder into it, I leave a small mound on top and tamp it down level, it will through a charge within +- 1 grain, I checked it numerous times on my scale.

I now weigh all my BH209 charges on my RCBS 505 reloading scale, then put the powder in clear plastic tube with a screw on lid.

Blackhorn is pretty large powder so the speed in which you pour and how much you shake it down has alot to do with variations. Find technique thats comfortable when you measure charge then weight then adjust volume measure accordingly.
Most consistent way for me to pour charge is dump as fast as possible and let measure run over then skim top of measure off flat.
I do this over a plastic clean container to catch overflow.

Or of course weighing is best.

This is what I have:

26328b9d0f476b39ff39c5a9aa860e30.jpg

Emrah

I agree, the volume measures are not all the same. Since I'm not on the ragged edge of Max I guess I have some daylight around the envelope.

I also tried my powder scale this Fall, the .7 conversion factor was off a fair amount, from the volume.

One thing I do know for sure ... I do like BH209 I would never use anything else. and I have tried them all and nothing else can come close to it. guy

I have found with funnel top on blackhorn jug if i pour measure full as fast as possible allowing to run over then skim level the top. Charges weights are very consistent.

But by varying my pour speed greatly changes out come..

So when these tubes are marked, what are they calibrated to? I mean what powder do they use as a baseline to determine the graduations? Black powder? Triple Seven? Pyrodex?

Emrah

emrah said:
So when these tubes are marked, what are they calibrated to? I mean what powder do they use as a baseline to determine the graduations? Black powder? Triple Seven? Pyrodex?

I would imagine each brand is different and there may not even be consistency within a brand depending on the production run. You need to develop your own baseline and go from there. Figure out how many grains you want to shoot, weigh the charges and see how high they fill the tube. If you are lucky and it falls on a graduation, remember it. If it doesn't, use a Sharpie or tape to make your own.

Vandy said:
emrah said:

I would imagine each brand is different and there may not even be consistency within a brand depending on the production run. You need to develop your own baseline and go from there. Figure out how many grains you want to shoot, weigh the charges and see how high they fill the tube. If you are lucky and it falls on a graduation, remember it. If it doesn't, use a Sharpie or tape to make your own.

Agreed.
You will find that powders will vary in density. I find that BH209 is fairly bulky compared to it's weight.

Be it Pyro, T-7 or BH-209 I weigh each to get the correct weight for each powder charge, then what I use is a 28ga. shotgun shell and cut to length for whatever powder charge I'm shooting. I use a plastic spoon and scoop and dump into the shell and level and dump into LANE TUBES. It works for me.

Just got done setting up about a dozen powder charges of my first ever BlackHorn 209 powder. I downloaded a chart from their website and wanted to start out with the suggested 70grn.weight to 100gr.by volume ratio. Using a beam scale for weighing the 70 grns. I filled a dozen BlackHorn tubes transfering the powder from the scale pan thru a small powder funnel directly over and into the tubes. This method loosely fills the tubes and they all filled up just barely shy of the 100 grn. by volume mark on all tubes. All I have to do is tap a tube once and the powder charge then drops to 1/2 way between the 100 and 90 grn. by volume graduations on the tube which would equal 95 grns. by volume. I plan to weight all my charges. I reload shotshells and and aware of the different densities of various powder types and different lots of those powder types and the affect of various volumes of those powders in a shotshell powder hopper, that is why most all have powder baffles built into them.

Back