Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like total agony but its not. I used mostly my Korean pepper flakes and some Super Chile.

Chinese style hot pepper oil with sesame seeds, fried garlic and Sichuan peppercorns. Its killer added to noodles.
3TuJ1EV.jpg

1 yellow Scotch Bonnet MOA took this Brazilian black bean stew from mild to almost wild. Had to take 1 half out.
73T2H4g.jpg

That looks like it would warm you up one this cold, rainy and blustery night. Noreaster blowing us up. Might need plenty or good bread and butter though. :drool: :lol:

Its loaded up with swojska kielbasa and fresh pork belly. Tiny bit of Fricks smoked jowls too. The market didnt have any of the dry style chorizo. Their selection of eastern European sausage rocks though. That is some killer polish sausage!!!

This one isnt hard to make. It just takes some patience for the beans to cook and thicken. Look up either Cuban black bean soup or Feijoada (Brazilian version). Neither version is normally very spicy. The correct sausage is actually Spanish or Portuguese chorizo aka chorico/chouriço. Its dry like smoked Polish sausage and usually mild. The Cuban version is more spicy but still rather mild.

I think its best with a lean(ish) piece of pork belly or pork side with skin left on. The sausage is just for seasoning. The skin adds some collagen to the stock. Sometimes ribs are used too. Par boil the pork belly starting with cold water in the pot. Bring it to a boil for 10min. Let the belly rest until its cool enough to slice into about 1" squares. This will get rid of some of the funk/scum and makes the belly easier to slice too.

Brown your sausage and then the cubed pork belly. Set it aside on a paper towel. Saute onions, shallots, peppers and garlic in some of the drippings and a little olive oil. About a 50/50 mix of pork fat and olive oil. This is called sofrito. A couple tbs of tomato paste is also often used.

Add the browned pork belly to the sofrito with some cumin and Mexican oregano and saute for a few more minutes before adding some chicken stock. You can add some pepper powder now too if you want it more spicy.

You can use dried beans and more liquid or just use canned. I find it easier to cook dried beans almost all the way in another pan then add them to the pork when its getting closer to done. Trying to get the beans tender and the pork done at the same time takes a little practice. I dont want the pork completely falling apart but some people might like it that way too. I wait until the last 20min or so before adding the sausage. Add it sooner if you like it more smokey.

Looks awesome!!

Have you started on this year's crop? Trying coco coir/hydroponic this year. Have lots of little starter seedlings throughout the house, wherever I can catch some sun.

Sofar only 8 germinated but some of mine have long germination times. Odd thing is, the Aji Arnaucho seeds all sprouted in about 5 days and reviews for them have been really low germ rates. Only got 2 Miraflores market rocoto to sprout out of 8 seeds but i probably got them too warm. I have P. Dreadie Scotch Bonnets and Peruvian Mini Red Rocoto in wet paper towels right now.

This is my grow list sofar.
Miraflores Market rocoto (yellow?)...2 up out of the 8 sofar..TGCM seeds
Peruvian Red rocoto..TGCM seeds
Peruvian Red mini rocoto..TGCM seeds
P. Dreadie SB....cant wait to get these going. Probably grow more and cut back on other habs depending on germination rate...TGCM seeds
Scoth Bonnet MOA red...MWCH seeds
Aleppo...replacing my gochu with these just because i cant grow enough gochu for the massive amounts of powder needed for kimchi. I can buy the gochugaru but not good Aleppo powder locally......Ed's seeds

Sandia Select....Didnt get many pods last year but what i got were really large. Using the seeds from those pods....Original seeds from Midwestchilhead.
Big Jim Heritage.....MWCH seeds

Changing up my Ajis a little to a couple varieties i never tried before.
Aji Limo Rojo...TGCM seeds
Aji Arnaucho...TGCM seeds
Aji Panca....CCN seedlings

A few "seasoning peppers". Seedlings from CCN.
Trinidad Perfume
Aji Dulce 1
Brazilian StarFish
Jamacian Gold (annuum)
Szechwan

Jalapenos:
Mucho Nacho...gunna try some from my seeds and another Bonnie seedling...REALLY loved this variety
Chichimeca...seeds from last years pods....REALLY loved this variety
Farmers Market....always wanted to try these for kicks...TGCM seeds
Biker Billy...Burpee Seeds

Sweet, mild to slightly spicy belly types. Mostly Syrian and Turkish heirlooms
Bell of Lebanon
Urfa Stuffing
Tekne Dolmasi

I wanted Antep Aci Dolma but seeds are out of stock everywhere. They are a big sweet bell with jalapeno heat from Turkey.

BTW if you are looking for seeds at a good price and free shipping look here. Ive dealt with both and they are highly regarded on thehotpepper forum.
https://www.midwestchileheads.com/
https://www.pepperlover.com/

I have a some extra too just tell me what you are looking for.

I am taking it easy with the germinating this year. Just a few from seed. Mainly generics from the local store.

GHOST PEPPER
CAROLINA REAPER
LEMON DROP
BANANA PEPPERS
SERRANO
ACONCAGUA (Italian Frying)
JALAPENO
HABANERO
POBLANO

As I get a plastic bottle to spare the seedlings go into them. Soon will be all over the house, looking for sunlight.

Oh yeah!!!

Pork steak with honey and molasses BBQ sauce. Fresh white onions and Caribbean Red hot sauce. The sweet really tones down the heat. The flavor of red habs is just killer for this.
NdvarKL.jpg

Miraflores Market Rocoto
XM3Urvj.jpg

3 Scotch Bonnet MOA Reds i need to separate today into their own little pots. Tried 3 seeds since i wasnt sure how easy they would germinate and these are excellent peppers so im going to try to save all 3.
PJ8AoXd.jpg

Aji Arnaucho. Its a very uncommon milder chinense from Peru. Ive got 6 to germinate and this is the first to pop up.
DIOP32H.jpg

GM54-120, Lookin good!! That really makes me wanna get mine going!! My Dad swears this is way to early for us to start our plants here, he said no big deal if a person has room to transplant and keep them in sunlight, That is a BIG problem here at my little house, i would run out of room in a HURRY here. Dad says it’s best for us to get them started about the first of April, We can’t safely plant here til the end of May, so we stil end up with the starts in the house for nearly 2 months, North Idaho is not a true gardeners friend! It gets HOT though when summer does finally get here

Depends on the plant, early is VERY good for rocotos. They have a very very long growing season if you want ripe. Many dont even produce well until the 2nd year. They also take a long time to germinate and even the rate is low compared to other peppers ive sprouted. Get on them rocotos soon!!!!

Some habs need to be germinated early too. Mostly just the super hot types like Reapers.

My planting space is somewhat limited so i need to select the best looking plants well in advance if they require a longer growing season. I cant do a small greenhouse this year but i might next year.

For space get one on the smallish plastic shelves. Put 1-2 2ft grow lights hanging from the shelf above each one. It will take up less than 2x3ft. Cheap clear totes for keeping any water from the shelf above and when covered they work great for germinating chambers.
https://selfreliantschool.com/building- ... he-spring/

This is fancier but its the same basic idea. Them smaller pastic shelves only cost about $20 at Lowes, Homedepot and Walmart.
P1090615-Copy.jpg

e7a7e4c2c1eddec4ed2e7e6d25643a70--storage-bins-storage-containers.jpg

[youtube]Y4AWEl6XJiM[/youtube]

That Rack is an AWESOME idea, i can do that!! You got me nervous on the Rocoto’s, I’ll get my setup going now, hopefully get some sprouted soon

GM54-120 said:
Get on them rocotos soon!!!!

I’m on it! Got em in the peat cups, and in the Dome. How long was Germination time on yours? There’s a Yellow, and a Red that you sent me, Are they both Similar In requirements?

GM54-120 said:
Some may take 3 weeks to germinate at room temp (around 70F)

I watched a neat video of a guy using a seed germination heat matt like mine, he placed a small suction cup style thermometer inside the lid so he could easily look without opening the lid, this guy actually covered the entire thing up with a small blanket, his claim was to keep from ANY loss of heat out of the plastic, and keep it super dark. This guy also claimed an ideal Germination temp of 80-85 degrees

Back