Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built another light setup yesterday, 4 foot shop ballast and i went with these bulbs.

Daylight 6500K, These work ok you think? I couldn’t find another T5 Grow light Setup here locally (Sold Out)

J5zHVRc.jpg

Those will work fine for seedlings. I use Sylvania bulbs but the GEs have about 50 more lumens. You might need to keep them closer to the plants than a high output T5 though.

My weak attempt at indoor growing.

I am not getting as much as a head start on the season as I had hoped. Will likely invest on some lighting next year. I do like the wicking system with the foam cups though. Lets me ignore them for several days if needed.

I know its expensive but a 4-6 bulb T5 HO fixture can make a world of difference. Thats 216-324watts and 20,000-30,00 lumens total. Many of the SunBlaze fixtures come with 6500k HO bulbs so you are ready to go without additional cost.

This one cost about $125. You can get a similar model from HydroFarm for about $20 less
[youtube]pbIdP0qAnWU[/youtube]

This 6 bulb has a nice feature. You can turn off half the bulbs with a switch. Cost around $150 with bulbs.
[youtube]N-Fya454toc[/youtube]

BTW mine are pretty small but the stems are thick with nice foliage

2nd from the left is a Vietnamese coriander i cloned. It taste like cilantro but never bolts in my climate.
Ebli3Ro.jpg

I have another also. Its killer in soup. When you want more you just save the stem with a couple leaves on it. Put the stem in some water until it forms roots then plant it. You have a never ending supply. Its an idiot proof plant unless you forget to water it. They are impossible to over water.
0xVzy2W.jpg

These will be arriving anytime today from chileplants.com

Most are mild seasoning peppers. Basically almost heatless chinense types (habanero). DELICIOUS in Caribbean/South Amrerican style beans!!!!! The Jamaican Gold and Szechwan are fairly hot annuums.
AJI DULCE 1 (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00
AJI PANCA (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00
BRAZILIAN STARFISH (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00
JAMAICAN GOLD (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00
SZECHWAN (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00
TRINIDAD PERFUME (Live Chile/Pepper Plant) $4.00

Thanks for reminding me I need to order!

Hey can you recommend a good Serrano? They have too many to choose from! I like the mid heat serranos and jalapenos for my eggs. :wink:

Try the Hot Rod. Ive heard they are really good. The last ones i grew were Del Sol iirc and ive grown the Tampiqueno too. Both were very productive but i think the tampiqueno is a landrace or at least a stable hybrid so you can save seeds. I didnt think it was any hotter than most jalapenos but the heat was consistent. NO DUDS. :D

https://www.chileplants.com/serrano-pepper-plants.aspx

Attachments

• P1020170.jpg
    P1020170.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 399
  • P1020165.jpg
    P1020165.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 399
Hot Rods sold out! Got these:

JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
MUCHO NACHO HYBRID
1PETER ORANGE
SCOTCH BONNET CHOCOLATE
SERRANO DEL SOL HYBRID
ROMA VF (Tomato)

Between these and what I am growing from seed, I have way more than I can use. But I have a good dehydratorl

Close up of 1 of my little Mini Red Rocotos, seed i got from GM54-120, I have 4 yellows and 4 reds, all 8 Look identical in growth to this 1, They are doing great! These are definitely slow to Germinate and take off, I wish i had started them a little earlier. I think they will be fine though? These guys are under a single T5 6400K bulb (I’m not that impressed with it)

edazUnr.jpg

SteveH said:
Hot Rods sold out! Got these:

JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
MUCHO NACHO HYBRID
1PETER ORANGE
SCOTCH BONNET CHOCOLATE
SERRANO DEL SOL HYBRID
ROMA VF (Tomato)

Between these and what I am growing from seed, I have way more than I can use. But I have a good dehydratorl

I LOVED Mucho Nacho. Places like Lowes/HomeDepot normally carry Bonnie plants so i just get those there. Great flavor and really nice heat. Not a single dud off of 2 plants last year.

Ive got some Scotch Bonnet Chocolate seeds. I will probably start one late just for grins. I loved the MOA yellows i got from CCN. Flavor was just killer. Growing MOA reds this year instead after stellar reviews of his seeds. Better, shape and larger pods. They are more than twice the size of my P. Dreadies already.

I normally get more than i can use and find a home for them. Pick out the best plants for yourself and for seed stock. I cleaned up by ancient dehydrator late last year. Still works fine after all these years.

I got some fresh ripe Fresnos at the market the other day. Im gunna see if i can get any of the seeds to germinate. Save the rest if they do. Fresnos are awesome!!!

Idaholewis said:
Close up of 1 of my little Mini Red Rocotos, seed i got from GM54-120, I have 4 yellows and 4 reds, all 8 Look identical in growth to this 1, They are doing great! These are definitely slow to Germinate and take off, I wish i had started them a little earlier. I think they will be fine though? These guys are under a single T5 6400K bulb (I’m not that impressed with it)

edazUnr.jpg

I only have 2 rocoto larger than that. A couple smaller and a couple the same size. They are insanely slow. One of the larger ones looked great for awhile but it still looks a bit sick. I got 2 more Miraflores to germinate but they are just sprouts. The other 3 germinated but never came up. I removed them today. I will have to be happy with possibly 5 Mini Reds and 2-3 Miraflores.

Ive got to get these middle eastern bell types sprouted and under the lights.

This setup costed me 35 bucks total for everything, the new Ballast, 6500K Daylight bulbs, and the pine 1X4 boards to build it. You can’t see my seedlings, but they are there, i had just taken them out of the Dome. I have had a lot fun messing with this, next year i will have a much better setup! :yeah:

izVFy9H.jpg

This is my little Jump Start, T5 single bulb fixture, i grabbed this thing awhile back because i needed to get on the ball with a Light (this is kind of a Joke in my opinion compared to the above setup) But it seems to be working fine, plants are happy! This was about a week or so ago, the little Rocotos. It is not safe to plant anything outside here til the very end of May, i think i will be fine, they have another full month and a half left in the house

R7FWwOf.jpg

My nicest Mini Red Rocoto went into the window sill today. Once you get to 3-4 sets of true leaves most peppers start to perk up.
nyf4VhT.jpg

vpwd1m1.jpg

GXWga6N.jpg

GM54-120, Those little plants are VIGOROUS healthy looking!! :yeah: I need to transplant a BUNCH of little guys today in to bigger Cups they can stay in til it’s time to head outdoors

Just buy the cheap red or blue solo cups. Take a pair of scissors and cut 2 small openings on the bottom edge.

Watch how he does it at 1:05 into the video. Dont worry about the other stuff he does unless you really want to.
[youtube]Z3WZgY-2oew[/youtube]

GM54-120 said:
Just buy the cheap red or blue solo cups. Take a pair of scissors and cut 2 small openings on the bottom edge.

Watch how he does it at 1:05 into the video. Dont worry about the other stuff he does unless you really want to.
[youtube]Z3WZgY-2oew[/youtube]

Thank you for the tip GM54-120! I just did the Solo cup thing this evening and got everything Re Potted, The Solo cup thing works great and it’s cheap to do, cutting the drain slits was super simple. I went with a different brand of Cup, they are 18 Oz, and have a noticeably wider base.

This is 3 days since the last pic of the window sill plants. These pics are from yesterday. Its been really cloudy 2 of those days. They all got a dose of worm tea but no nitrogen based fertilizer has been used.
WBQvidq.jpg

KAKkyXD.jpg

This MOA is gunna be my seed stock pant. Its been great since the first day.
ZTCPhZ9.jpg

GM54-120, Are you familiar with this stuff? I just gave all of my plants a stab of it, It Gets really good reviews. The Guy here at the Local nursery highly recommended it.

6RVYqgv.jpg

67vcqkl.jpg

Ive never used it but i do use fish emulsion and seaweed. A gallon of Alaska brand fish emulsion 5-1-1 is normally well under $20 even at places like Lowes/Walmart.

Back