Sidearm while hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Who all carrys a sidearms while deer hunting with a smokepole? In MN it is not legal to carry a firearm bigger than a .22 while muzzleloader hunting. But having my CCW permit trumps that law. I personally never go out hunting with out my trusty Springfield XD9. Its been through more than any handgun should and has been used to dispatch a few porcupine and other critters.

AZ carry while hunting with bow, ML, states that the handgun barrel has to be shorter than 6 inches and can not have a scope mount or any device that can have a optic mounted to it, I carry a 4" 357mag model 66 while hunting with any weapon, my daily carry is a 2" 357mag sp101

Whenever i have to go back to the truck to get a pack frame, or a cart, or a sled, i always leave the rifle behind, and carry a handgun out. When we lived in Montana, i always carried a 44 magnum revolver when i didn't have a rifle. Around here i usually carry a 45 acp pistol. Normally when scouting, or hiking, i always have a handgun with, and it is either a 44 magnum revolver, or a 45 acp pistol. Both are loaded with Gold Dot bullets; hand loaded.

It doesn't seem like i have ever carried a handgun, and a rifle at the same time.

Hunting by myself in public land I carry a .357 King Cobra revolver, 4" barrel in a side holster so it stays mostly out of the way. CCW license needed. Definitely an added weight, but I carry mainly for peace of mind. Four legged critters (bears) and perhaps some two legged critters as well.

I never go in the woods with out the Kimber .45acp, or my .45LC, it's a toss up when I head to Co. if it's the .44 mag or the .45LC. :think:

In KY, those with CCW are good to go. Always have either my S&W mod. 59 or Berretta mod.70 for peace of mind.

Here in VA we can carry a sidearm even in prohibited hunting seasons with our CCW.

I always carry something, usually either a G19, M&P40 or 2.5" Rossi M971 .357 (the old Interarms Rossi, not the new Taurus Rossi) with me, even when I'm rifle hunting.

Very few 4 legged varmints where I hunt, but I find it's always good to be prepared for any of the 2 legged variety. Not everyone you come across out in the wilderness is an upstanding citizen.

Ive never, figgure i pay a premium for light gear , why carry more weight? I certainly respect everyones right to do so.

Don't currently have a sidearm. The wife and daughters have expressed a desire that I acquire and carry one when I take the frontstuffers for bear... Hmm. An excuse for another muzzleloader?

Nope, not me. I have enough crap to carry when hunting without adding another firearm and ammo. If I wanted to carry more weight, I would get a heavier profile barrel. At least something that give me some benefit. I figure I am already armed with bow/ML/rifle and have never felt like I was less than protected. Although if I go hiking or scouting I do carry a handgun.

A while back I would carry a S&W Classic Hunter 6" 44mag when I was out Bear hunting with Bow or ML. I got to a point I hated having that Brick on my belt, at least that was what it felt like. I took to carrying it with the DeSantis cross draw holster on a second belt and draped it over my shoulder like a bandoleer, then take it off and hang it on a tree limb while on stand. I don't have it anymore so don't carry any sidearm. The only one I have now is a Glock G43 9mm. Don't plan to carry it along though.

Several years ago the Oregon Attorney General got it right.....at no time does the state have the right to tell you that you cannot carry a weapon for sale preservation...that being said that in any season being bow, rifle, or mzl that you can pack any weapon of choice to use as protection against "any varmits"....the fish and game had to rewrite their regulations....only the weapon of season is allowed to take your game animal but the odfw could not take away your "second amendment right" to protect yourself or someone else....also being that there were no restrictions on which weapon you can use to take bear, cougar and varmits..especially during bow seasons....as the cougar and bear season is open for all to hunt and not all hunting have the tags for archery deer and elk while hunting bear and cougar...

All I will say is, check your State's laws before you embark on such an endeavor. Some states allow it, and some forbid it. Make sure you know before you go. I have to laugh, I called the DNR once with this same question. One told me it was fine. The next told me it was not. So they decided it was not.

When I archery hunt in PA I used to carry my M&P40 but this year I was carrying my M&P Shield. Its a bit smaller. But for archery bear I carry a Taurus light weight 44 mag loaded with 44 spl just in case I do ever arrow a bear at bow range and he gets mad at me for doing so!!. When I use my ML for bear or sometimes even deer during regular rifle season I carry the same .44.
During the late ML primitive season I don't carry a sidearm.

While ML hunting I do carry a Sig Sauer - 357 Sig caliber loaded with Lehigh Defense XP bullets. With wolves, mountain lions, and sometimes angry ma sow bears - I just believe it is prudent..

During archery and muzzleloader season, I carry my glock 30s 45acp. During general firearms season, I'll lighten the load and carry my glock 43 9mm or S&W bodyguard 380 like I would every other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cayuga said:
All I will say is, check your State's laws before you embark on such an endeavor. Some states allow it, and some forbid it. Make sure you know before you go. I have to laugh, I called the DNR once with this same question. One told me it was fine. The next told me it was not. So they decided it was not.
This is excellent advice. People should never assume what's okay in one state will be legal in another.

Even though open carry is legal in VA, if someone was to open carry a modern handgun during bow or ML season they would be in violation of the law. Here in VA at some point they passed a law that made a specific exemption to allow anyone with a concealed carry license to legally have a handgun with them while hunting during any season. As they say, the devil is in the details.

Also it depends on the location you are hunting. While bow or gun hunting on military installations, it is not legal to carry a handgun, no matter what the state law says.

I started carrying a sidearm since I came up on some smugglers and all I had was my single shot rifle, I live within an hrs. drive of the border so my protection is more for the 2 legged variety, that particular time I felt very vulnerable, luckily they just stopped for a few seconds and continued walking.
I carry a G20, 10mm with full power loads from CorBon in a cross draw holster. haven't come up on anyone else but you never know.

Latest posts

Back