Xmass was good!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Under the tree was a Pietta 1858 New Army target BP pistol.

68dba22cb73832caf9771872482a70a0.jpg

Can't wait to get out and run some lead through it.

Going to be a week or more. Highs in the teens and lows in the negatives.

From looking online I see some use felt wads between the powder and ball some don't.

Anyone here shooting these that has a preference?

Loving my CVA Optima V2 Pistol I bought a
Few Months ago. We've run 300+ rounds through it so far. Great gun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pistol7-23011.jpg

I own and shoot the exact same model revolver. I have had my Pietta for many years. I shoot Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder in mine. When you shoot other powders you will soon discover why I use JSG, You can shoot all day (I did 60 shot one day) and your not breaking the revolver apart cleaning it all the time.

My drop measure throws 20 grains of powder. I then have tried buffers and no buffers. One of my favorite buffers is Corn Meal. Just a very small 5 grain scoop (I use a heavy scoop off a Sweet and Low tiny plastic pink spoon) of corn meal on top of a settled charge of JSG. Then drop the corn meal on the powder. I then set a .451 diameter round ball. Do yourself a favor and buy or build a cylinder loader. It saves on your revolver. After the ball is in, with homemade lube I cover the end of the cylinder. The percussion caps that came with the rifle are #10 not #11. The 11 caps are too large and they roll off the nipple and jam the cylinder.

The picture above shows where the ball hits with a buffer and without a buffer. As you can see off a rest that revolver will really shoot. And I discovered with 30 grains of 3f powder it will shoot a ball and penetrate a dried out 2 solid inch thick spruce plank.

Latest posts

Back