Newly opened Bass Pro- Not good

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacass

Reaction score
Solid rain today, perfect time to check out our brand new Bass Pro across from the speedway. Rain had the track activities shut down and it was crowded.
I've been driving 50 miles toward Orlando for powder and primers at Gander Mountain, but their black powder shelf is pretty slim, so was looking forward to this much closer store.
Well, nothing, nada, bupkiss for black powder specific supplies. The counter man didn't know if it was local management or a corporate decision not to devote shelf space to BP. Also 209 primers are CCI brand only.
I just checked online, and sub powders are available with free ship to store option, which will work I guess. It wasn't a total bust though, A good selection of XTP hornadys in bulk, and I picked up a tackle box and targets on sale.
Since their merge with Cabellas, I wonder if the great selection of BP supplies in Scarborough Maine will go away.
Any one else find this at Bass Pro?

Yea the one in Harrisburg PA don't have that much either. The Cabela's in Hamburg PA has a much bigger selection of stuff, but it is one of the largest stores on the east coast. It was the First if I recall right. Cabela's prices always seemed better too. I hope Bass Pro Don't screw up the Cabela's stores/catalog and jack up the prices to match. I've spent way more money at Cabela's than I ever did a Bass Pro. :roll:

Denver bass pro is trash denver cabelas is trash, for me the loveland co sportsmans warehouse has been gold and the sidney ne cabelas has been gold. Prices have been comparable cabelas a little farther to drive but they give me a discount for being ems that sportsmans doesn't give.

Starting to sound like a local management decision. Bass pro BH and T7 on line price is the same as I remember in the cabelas store in Maine. Funny Fred, in Cabellas I was with a retired army buddy who got the discount, I tried my retired FD Id and no go.
Shawn, looks like you shop where you hunt too.
Agree, these taj mahal superstores are mostly junk. But better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! :mrgreen:

I believe the ems discount is only for active not 100% sure though. They have always taken both my picture or non picture FD Id without blinking an eye.

I bet you are right about active, although my buddy is a 70 year old retired Nam vet. No problem and no whining here.
Well, we can all get what we need, just takes a bit of shopping around. I think the Bass pro here has their priorities out of whack. A full shelf of trapping supplies (in Fla?), and no BP stuff. I need to take the store manager for a beer and reality check. :drinkers:

bacass said:
Shawn, looks like you shop where you hunt too.
Agree, these taj mahal superstores are mostly junk. But better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! :mrgreen:
I travel back and forth from NY to Ohio. Family still has a small farm and I do more of my hunting there atm. I pass right by the Hamburg Cabela's. It is a very larger store, have always loved it. The Bass pro in Harrisburg is ok but prices are higher than Cabela's and not as good of a selection on BP stuff. BH is much more expensive at that Bass Pro. I also drive right by the Gander Mountain in Chambersburg PA. They are unreasonable on BP stuff there though. The Cabela's in Hartford CT is not that great but is a much smaller store. There is a fairly new Bass Pro in Bridgeport CT, but I have not been there. Most of my stuff is ordered online. I do pick up most of my BH at Cabela's though. It is just to expensive and very hard to get here on Long Island. :roll:

Yes Shawn , sorry, I have seen your Ohio hunt reports before and forgot you don't hunt PA. But your travels re-enforce the fact that different stores do there own thing. Cabelas has always been my favorite as well. Stole a nice 1898 Krag in Dundee Michigan a few years ago just stopping for a road break to visit my daughter at college. Also a couple .30 carbines in Maine. Sometimes they get it wrong in the gun room, not often though. I have seen all my small shops here close or turn into mega black gun stores.
Prices I've seen for T7@$30.00 lb and BH @$40.00 10 oz. seem consistent at all stores, and avoid the dreaded hazmat fees.
Really liking the extreme with Bestill conversion and will need more BH next month. The Knight american is working well with reduced loads, and the T7 is still half full Sorry I'm getting off topic, but really enjoying getting in to BP!

No Problem. Bass Pro at one time listed putting a store in Uniondale Long Island, but it is not listed on the web site any more. best we have is Dick's/Field and Stream. I have not been in the Field and Stream store yet. Maybe this weekend.

Cabela's in Hamburg usually had BH for about $36 or $37 and ran it on sale now and then.

Latest posts

Back