firearm care

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKEEE169

Reaction score
Would like to here how some of you shooters store your weapons till hunting season begins,after shooting or hunting i clean the weapon real good and end up puting a light coat of oil on them before puting them in the safe,till next round.thinking about pulling them out and dueing a little inspection.

I do the same as you. I also on occasion get guns out and inspect them. Nothing wrong with being careful. I never store inlines with the Breach plug in.

Yes, I have some guns I haven't shot, then others I seldom shoot. I'm usually using my favorites. I have a few levels of 'storage' or nonuse periods. If it's an active shooter, I clean after routine use.

If something will be stored for up to years, I may clean, lightly oil, then use a coat of R.I.G. Grease on it and some in the bore. This 'storage grease' is like cosmoline of the old days. It can be stored for years without worry. One would have to clean it well before use.

For a gun that may get used, I at least like to give it the 'once over' every 9-12 months. That often means a going over with a lightly oiled cloth, then a bore mop.

Of course if any gun us used in wet conditions, it needs to be cared for before any storage.

rangerod said:
I do the same as you. I also on occasion get guns out and inspect them. Nothing wrong with being careful. I never store inlines with the Breach plug in.

Curious, why do you remove the breech plug? There have been times when I've removed the bolt from rifles for storage when there was a safety concern, (long story) but I've never thought to remove a breech plug.

I leave my breech plug out during storage periods too. It makes it easy if I want to fun a patch down the bore occasionally. I store the cleaned BP near the gun, haven't lost of forgot one yet.

I guess anythings possible, but it would be hard to forget about a load(double charge) from the previous hunt or season with the plug out. I just start fresh with the next shoot.

Back