More and more common

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Ma and I returned from a 10 dayer at the cabin property and few days ago not far inland from Lake Superior's north shore here in Minnesota. This article was in a local newpaper.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/outdoo ... r-isabella

Its amazing how often such stories are reported up in that country, but what's even more surprising is how little ever gets done about it. There seems to be no end to the huggers who think that a wolf should be hear howling or seen every time the clothes get hung on the line out back. The state's wolf population numbers for one thing are way out of wack with independent surveys placing current population numbers about double what the huggers and the department of the interior report and its the lesser numbers that give sway to the judges, who under pressure from lobbys, continue to order the animals listed as endangered.

Wisconsin also has areas where the wolf populations are unbalanced. I'm not sure but I think even the UP of Michigan has had some issues as well. Yellowstone National Park is yet another showcase for wolves run rampant.

In the case in this link I think its become evident at least to a small degree that wolves are losing their fear of man. I know first hand thru sightings of wolves at and near the cabin that they are certainly able to exist a lot closer to humans than most might think. Apparently things have gotten to the point that if I had a dog and had to chose between lobo and fido, fido would be at his food bowl that night. It just seems odd that this country can't find a way to balance things a bit. Minnesota's deer herd in the northern 1/3 of the state is in a state of continual decline and the moose population has dropped down to a point that we no longer have a season available to hunt them.

Interesting story. I recently returned from a several day grouse hunt(7 grouse) with the 13 y/o Son & dog near our camp property in the NW U.P. of MI. We are usually making some noise as we move through coverts. There are lots of wolves in the area, evidenced by game cameras. I already know, if I see one around us or our dog it's to close.

I don't see a 'legal season' on the near horizon, especially a meaningful season. In many areas wolve numbers are bumping into 'social carrying capacity' limits, with some distemper problems. I about don't hardly care about a meaningless, legal, wolf season anymore. The antis like the wolf in order to cut into huntable big game numbers, not gonna change.

All that aside, Rover deserves any protection required as man's best friend.

Back