Sunscreen or no sunscreen....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I grew up when being in the sun all day was a given and little thought was passed along about skin cancer. Sunscreen was not even heard of back then, so its pretty much a given I didn't use the stuff. Now I am buying SPF100 products and the picture shows why. This little piece of surgery took place just yesterday and involved a small, visible, spot of cancer. Its what you can't see that counts.

So if you wear sunscreen good. If you don't, perhaps you should start thinking about wearing it....if not for yourself for kids and grandkids and in my case great-grandkids. 5 hours of knife time for a half hour procedure. And yes the cutting got into eye and facial muscle function but we won't know to what extent until the swelling does down.

5zYOzDH.jpg

That's terrible Tom! Pray that they got it all!

The stitches you see are those used to close the cut, there are a ton inside the cut holding all those different pieces together. I think the surgeon mentioned that there were 40 some odd stitches in the cut alone.

No sunscreen when I was a kid. For a while now, it's the first thing I do before I go out into the sun.

Hope you get better fast, thanks for posting a good reminder for all.

Mr. Tom,
Prayers for a quick and complete recovery.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

The sutures came out this morning and the lab report indicated that all of the cancer had been successfully excised. What a relief that is. The nerve that was thought to have been cut during the surgery that affects the eye brow and eye lid was in fact not cut and I have a full range of motion in both areas. As this continues to heal the eye will lose its sag in that corner and it'll look normal but may take up to two months. I can live with that.

This cancer was a squamous cell cancer, very invasion and extremely fast spreading so I got lucky on this one. hope I never see this crap again. I hope none of you have to go thru this either.

MrTom said:
The sutures came out this morning and the lab report indicated that all of the cancer had been successfully excised. What a relief that is. The nerve that was thought to have been cut during the surgery that affects the eye brow and eye lid was in fact not cut and I have a full range of motion in both areas. As this continues to heal the eye will lose its sag in that corner and it'll look normal but may take up to two months. I can live with that.

This cancer was a squamous cell cancer, very invasion and extremely fast spreading so I got lucky on this one. hope I never see this crap again. I hope none of you have to go thru this either.
Great News! :applause: Glad it worked out.

Thanks for the update Tom. Ive been wandering how you are doing.

As a follow-up on this, I just got home from what is my last surgeon's check-up and came here with a clean bill so I feel blessed. Since I have had one cancer I now have to get annual or semi-annual total skin checks at the dermatologist. I'm almost certain I'll have to get more areas removed but at least I'll get it done before it gets to the point that I'll end up looking like this again. This last go-round with the big C was alarming even after I was told it all had been gotten.

Thanks for the thoughts during this guys....it works.

Great news Tom. Keep going for your checkups. I go every 6 months and th doctor either cuts or freezes every visit. It ain't no fun but it beats the alternative.

Mr Tom, I know all too well what you are talking about. I can’t tell you how many basil cells I’ve had remove from my chest, back and face already. As I look into the mirror I just had 4 removed from my face in the past week.

My dad had many on the top of his head and face. Unfortunately he let them go way tooooo long. The one that did him in was on his check just under his eye. He had to go for three surgeries to get it all. So they told us. Unfortunately my dad let it go too long and it effectived a nerve that went to his brain. Make a long story short after two chemo therapies the swelling went down but it effected his lungs. Coming home from having a chest X-ray done, I was helping my dad into his house. As I opened the door he collapsed in my arms and died from a massive heart attack.

So like Mr. Tom said use Sunblock and protect yourself otherwise you’ll be paying the consequences later on in life.

Great news Tom!!! Wishing you many more clear checkups.

Ed- Can’t imagine that moment with your dad! Pretty clear reminder to stick with the regular check ups.

Man Ed I can't begin to imagine what that was like. I held my grandmothers hand and my Mother's hand as both took their last breaths and that was hard, but what happened to you....just no words. So sorry for your loss.

Latest posts

Back