First Hunt/ Got lost

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday was the opening day here in NY. I went out in the morning with my father then had to return home for home duties. Decided to go back out around 2pm and take my wife. This is her first year hunting and in fact her first hunt. After about an hour on stand with nothing moving I decided to take a slow walk. I what should have been a normal circle for me. After going west to the field edge then north to a second field I headed back south/ south east to the stand. I found myself in unfamiliar woods and decided to exit to find my bearings. Called my wife once I realized where I was at 4:15 and asked her to head to truck. Qué rain, I then called my Dad and asked him to go pick up my wife at said truck. Which was locked and you guessed it I have the keys. After walking 1.2 miles down the road Dad show up with my wife and we go get my truck and head back to pick up our kids.

Rain, huh? I'll bet you were a popular dude. lol

Good thing you weren't dragging a bruiser. lol Happy everything ended ok.

Have gotten turned around in the woods a few times myself,little scary.Thats why i advice no one to hunt alone.The system we always have any problem fire 3 shots and wait for the replay.as i walk towards the gun fire i found my way back to an area i knew.sometimes when hunting in unkown area i will mark my route with orange tape.only needed it one time.
The 150 acres i hunt on now i know pretty well.me and my hunting buddy have walked his land many spring days.and fall to.

Glad your story has a good ending. I’ve been turned around in the woods myself at night when it was sleeting. I even had a compass. My dumba$$ didn’t believe my compass though. The woods sure can look a lot different at night than in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before smartphones I was pretty militant about bringing a compass and geo/terrain chart. It's so easy to get turned around in the woods I hunt, even a 20 degree error can get compounded quickly. Now that I have a good gps app on my iphone, I've gotten pretty lazy. A bit of a shame since you lose a bit of woodcraft when you are just following a waypoint to your destination.

Glad you guys got out ok.

Yes, all is well. She went back out with me on Monday to a different location. We didn't see anything, well I jumped one in the swamp but all I saw was butt. It's unusual for me, those woods have old driveways in them from running maple sugar. I usually follow them but somehow got off track. There is a road in either direction if you walk far enough you will eventually come out.

SteveH said:
Before smartphones I was pretty militant about bringing a compass and geo/terrain chart. It's so easy to get turned around in the woods I hunt, even a 20 degree error can get compounded quickly. Now that I have a good gps app on my iphone, I've gotten pretty lazy. A bit of a shame since you lose a bit of woodcraft when you are just following a waypoint to your destination.

Glad you guys got out ok.

I still carry a old fashioned compass while out along with my smartphone. You never know when your phone won’t get a signal or when your battery will say FU.
My dad gave me the best advice when hunting the big woods. It was know what direction you’re going into the woods and go out of the woods the opposite direction. You will make it to a road eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back