Ladder Stands

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing a couple of 15 footers. I sat in one the other day that was awful and one that was wide enough for two people that was pretty comfortable. Seems like some of the manufacturers don't get the distance between the foot platform and the seat right. With hunting season soon winding down I thought maybe I could find them on sale. Anyone having a favorite or any opinions welcome.

Ive got a couple of one-man ladder stands that I got from Dicks Sporting Goods, they are quite comfortable and have a flip up foot rest that’s pretty nice. It’s called the “outpost”. It’s also got an adjustable gun rest.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
Ive got a couple of one-man ladder stands that I got from Dicks Sporting Goods, they are quite comfortable and have a flip up foot rest that’s pretty nice. It’s called the “outpost”. It’s also got an adjustable gun rest.

The outpost XL is also nice,wider than normal but not a 2 man. They are heavy to put up but very comfortable. The thing I like the most is the seat folds up so when you feel like standing your not stuck out on the edge of the stand.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
rangerod said:
It would also seem like you could hide better with the seat up and back against the tree.
That is definitely true. I always feel like I’m not well hidden in a ladder stand.

I'm the same way. I always try to find an Oak tree with lots of lower limbs or jam the stand in between a cluster of 2 to 4 trees.

Walmart is discounting their Ameristep 2 man ladders now at end of season; keep an eye open. One can add a section from another to make them 18' if you want to go higher than 15'. I 'bury' mine into a pine tree and they hide pretty well.

NautiBuoys said:
Walmart is discounting their Ameristep 2 man ladders now at end of season; keep an eye open. One can add a section from another to make them 18' if you want to go higher than 15'. I 'bury' mine into a pine tree and they hide pretty well.
Thanks for the information. Will definitely check it out. My brother-in-law has one in a scotch pine that hides very well.

QuinnTheEskimo said:
rangerod said:
It would also seem like you could hide better with the seat up and back against the tree.
That is definitely true. I always feel like I’m not well hidden in a ladder stand.

I agree..I put a lock on stand above & slightly offset from ladder stand....puts you closer to tree & safer
Up & down...
Too old for tree steps..lol..

twild said:
QuinnTheEskimo said:
rangerod said:

I'm the same way. I always try to find an Oak tree with lots of lower limbs or jam the stand in between a cluster of 2 to 4 trees.

I do the same thing, it seems to work very well when hid between a cluster of trees.

The "buddy" stands sold at Rural King and sometimes Menards go on sale after hunting season and/or Christmas for well under $100.

Take a look at River's Edge relax wide. I've got two of them I think the ground to the platform height is 17 ft. First one I bought was last fall it's got a nice wide seat so staying comfortable is no problem and you can also stand up and stretch out well still feeling secure because of the shooting rail. Second one I just picked up recently on sale 30 bucks cheaper then the first one. I think I paid 145 for the first one second one I got for 115 on sale. :applause:

twild said:
QuinnTheEskimo said:
rangerod said:

If i felt the need to use 1 of these i would search hard for the right spot to conceal myself the best i could, To me they look like a GIANT BILLBOARD saying ‘HERE I AM’ i think they would be fine if i was in real thick underbrush that went forever and i could use it to get above so i could see in from above.

I personally find sitting on the Ground works best for me, i pick the area i want to watch and look for a clump of brush, or a decent tree that i can sit with my back against it, just to break my silhouette. I had a decent buck walk in front of me year before last, there was a Wind fall with the roots attached right in front of me, the wind was in my favor and the buck walked the other side of the wind fall straight up to where i was at, he started feeding on a little bush at the roots about a ‘spit’ distance from me! I could see his eye lashes!! He finally realized i was there and just about jumped out of his hide! He tore off down the hill out of sight and started blowing! :lol:

I know you said ladder stands. I hunted over the weekend in a lock on stand. A woodsey too , I fell in love!!!!

Latest posts

Back