Round ball vs bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJK

Reaction score
I’m new on this forum and curious if anybody has experience with shooting the copper powerbelt bullets? I have been shooting round balls in mine but recently tried them and it seemed to shoot them better. Or what is a good bullet to shoot? I have Great Plains Hunter rifle. Thanks in advance!

JJK said:
I’m new on this forum and curious if anybody has experience with shooting the copper powerbelt bullets? I have been shooting round balls in mine but recently tried them and it seemed to shoot them better. Or what is a good bullet to shoot? I have Great Plains Hunter rifle. Thanks in advance!

That's a tough question to answer because every gun will shoot a bullet differently. The best bullet for your gun is the one that shoots the best.

First what gun do you have? What do you plan on hunting?

I have Lyman Great Plains Hunter .50 Cal. 1:32 twist I believe.

JJK said:

That's a great gun, the faster twist will shoot a conical or saboted bullet. A round ball can shoot pretty well out of these rifles as well. Find a good conical you like and work up a load for hunting and have fun plinking with a round ball. I hunt with a .54 round ball but make sure I have a very good shot and close range.

It then would comes down to what type of game your planing on hunting and your states regulations.

go with a conical like hornady great plains bullet. The GPH is a 1:32 twist barrel...a bit fast for round balls. Might consider getting another 1:60 barrel for balls. Then just switch barrels depending on your mood

JJK said:

You have MANY good choices with that rifle! I have a Lyman Great Plains Hunter as well but mine is in .54 Cal, The 1:32 Twist is definitely a bullet/conical shooter. My rifle has shot every bullet I have tried in it really well, I can’t think of 1 it hasn’t shot well? Lyman sells a mold to complement that Rifle, The Lyman Plains bullet, i have that mold in .50, and .54 Cal, So far every rifle (including friends) have shot these things really well! The 1:32 twist is ideal for Paper Patched bullets as well. Again, You have MANY choices!

Thanks for all the thoughts. Yes I really like the gun! I have really enjoyed shooting it. I own multiple Blackpoweder rifles and none of the others shoot nearly as good as this one.

Back