Seating problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs

Reaction score
TC Triumph. 2 white hot pellets. Power belt 295. Remington kleanbore 209 primers

My issue has been the same for 2 years. I cannot fully seat my second shot. The crud ring is very pronounced. White hots "supposedly" burn cleaner. My second shot will be around 3/4 of an inch short of seating. I know if I swab the barrel between all shots I should be fine. That's not why I'm posting. I'm posting to try to remedy this problem. I shouldn't have to swab to take a second shot.

Any ideas?

Well, that is pretty much gunna be what happens with that type of powder. Cooler primers like the WinT7 primer might help and using Montana Xtreme Bore Condition seems to help after several applications.

The guaranteed solution though is quit using WhiteHots or Triple7 powders. Blackhorn209 leaves no crud ring whatsoever. Cleans up with Hoppes #9 or any other centerfire solvent instead of water based black powder solvents.

Well i had problem loading second shot (I use t7 and cci 209 primer Thompson cheap shots) I replaced thompson sabot with crush rib.for second shot. I shot a doe recently and decided to reload just to see how it would work in the field( had been loaded for 4 days,2 days light rain) loaded easily didn't even use palm saver.

I think you need to experiment with sabot/bullet/bore fit some. As mentioned, start with the crush rib sabots from Harvestor. With slight changes in the sabots and possibly bullets you can get an ideal bore fit.

I can load over 5 shots easily without any bore attention. With B209 I may go 3 days taking various shots along the way. Even with a less forgiving powder, you should be able to load a few shots without bother.

I paper patch and crud rings and paper don't go well togethr... I wipe between shots with alcohol or windex soaked patch followed by dry... I have also used an attachment called Cheif's Pro Choice, IIRC... basically it is like a specialized jag that attaches to your ramrod to clean... it is gun and caliber specific... it appears to have a delrin type material with a brass serated washer that scrapes the crud out of your grooves.... I was a sceptic of it, but met the owner and inventor one day at Friendship and tried on a barrel I had just cleaned... bottom line, it worked... got more crud out that I new was in there... not sure if they are still in business.... going back to the two choices I have used.. both work well at the bench and I have also used in hunting... always seemed like there was enough time to clean before reloading, especially if the first shot found it's mark.

Kindest regards,

themoose

themoose said:
I paper patch and crud rings and paper don't go well togethr... I wipe between shots with alcohol or windex soaked patch followed by dry... I have also used an attachment called Cheif's Pro Choice, IIRC... basically it is like a specialized jag that attaches to your ramrod to clean... it is gun and caliber specific... it appears to have a delrin type material with a brass serated washer that scrapes the crud out of your grooves.... I was a sceptic of it, but met the owner and inventor one day at Friendship and tried on a barrel I had just cleaned... bottom line, it worked... got more crud out that I new was in there... not sure if they are still in business.... going back to the two choices I have used.. both work well at the bench and I have also used in hunting... always seemed like there was enough time to clean before reloading, especially if the first shot found it's mark.

Kindest regards,

themoose

Idahoron did a video titled ‘torture test’ it is AMAZING the difference in fouling from powder to powder, Ron is able to reload and shoot MANY times without swabbing between shots (9 or 11 times I believe?) i on the other hand can not reload 1 single shot on a fouled bore without tearing my paper up, Swabbing between shots for me with Paper Patched bullets is an ABSOLUTE must! I am using real Black Powder (Swiss 2 and 3F) Ron uses Pyrodex P, The Pyrodex P leaves a much softer fouling (as ron states in his field cleaning video it is a Goo type of fouling) Swiss leaves a dry rough fouling that reminds me of a course grit sandpaper. I was actually gonna switch over to Pyrodex P after watching Ron’s video, i bought a can of it and weighed out 6 charges at 64.5 Weight Grains and headed to the range for testing, my first shot was an odd hangfire, more of a Fizzle than anything with hardly any felt recoil? I was using a brand new Treso/Ampco nipple and they have a tiny .028 flash hole, Just Not enough heat getting through that tiny flash hole to reliably set the Pyro P off. I could have drilled my new nipple out larger, but I didn’t like the idea of that, so i gave up on the Pyrodex P and went back to my Swiss, which goes off immediately. Hard to have the best of all worlds, a guy needs to find what works for him and go with it.

themoose said:
always seemed like there was enough time to clean before reloading, especially if the first shot found it's mark.

Kindest regards,

themoose

I started a thread about hunting with Paper Patched bullets in the Sidelock section not long after joining this forum. What i just quoted you on here was 1 of my hang ups on hunting with Paper Patched bullets, As i said in that thread, When Using Real Blackpowder (Swiss 2 and 3F) a guy really should carry some pre soaked alcohol patches in some kind of a small sealed container and quickly Swab after the shot before trying to reload. While Idahoron has proven in his Torture Test video that he can reload several times no problem on a fouled bore using Pyrodex P powder, After my experience above with Pyrodex P and a new Treso/Ampco nipple i would NEVER trust the Pyro P, having to alter a brand new nipple flash hole in order to get reliable ignition tells me it’s finicky stuff, at least comparing it to any Real Blackpowder that i have used with ZERO reliability issues with a brand new UN ALTERED nipple. Personally i would rather have FULL confidence in my first shot going off immediately and having to quickly swab after the shot, Than having to alter a new nipple to try and make Pyrodex P reliable. Again there is trade offs to each

The above is 1 of the reasons i chose to have Custom Grease Groove bullets made for 45, 50, and 54 Cal, I have proven that they shoot every bit as good as my Paper Patched bullets, and i can reload on a fouled bore without swabbing. I don’t plan on giving up on my Paper Patched bullets as I absolutely love shooting them, especially target shooting. I have found a method that works well for me using them. But it sure is nice to have an alternative bullet that shoots just as well, and is NOT finicky on a fouled bore reload using Real Black Powder.

Latest posts

Back