Powder field load containers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadeyedick

Reaction score
While deer hunting this last year I stopped at a convience store on the way to pick up some chapstick for my lips. I got to thinking, this container might could be useful for something else. I took the part off the bottom of the tube and clipped the long rod that goes up the center of the tube. Snapped it back on and washed it good. Yesterday I went to the range to shoot a newly aquired muzzleloader and figured I would see just how much powder a chapstick tube would hold. To my surprise it held exactly 100 grains of pyrodex. These will make great field containers for powder while hunting.

141lgup.jpg

That’s a neat idea! :yeah: Way to make use of something that would otherwise end up in the trash. I use little twist top vials i got from craft store that was closing out, they were cheap. I prefer to pre weigh my charges on a beam scale and place them in vials, not only is it FAR more accurate, it is also handier in the field as i don’t need to fiddle around weighing charges with a volume measure, just pull out a pre weighed vial and load my rifle

Idaholewis said:
That’s a neat idea! :yeah: Way to make use of something that would otherwise end up in the trash. I use little twist top vials i got from craft store that was closing out, they were cheap. I prefer to pre weigh my charges on a beam scale and place them in vials, not only is it FAR more accurate, it is also handier in the field as i don’t need to fiddle around weighing charges with a volume measure, just pull out a pre weighed vial and load my rifle

Ditto! Plus it saves a lot of time reloading and possibly some waste of powder that may spill at the range.

After I done this I looked it up on the internet and someone suggested using one of them to store money in. Would make a pill holder too for old heads like me who have to take meds.

As for weighing powder, does a few grains difference really make much difference in velocity and accuracy? Just curious. I am rather new to muzzleloading. Another thing, unless you clean the gun before each shot would it not change with every shot regardless if you use the same powder load?

I don’t think a couple grains either way matters much. I think most guys work within 5 or 10 grain increments.

MrTom said:
I don’t think a couple grains either way matters much. I think most guys work within 5 or 10 grain increments.

Truth is i can’t say that pre weighing my charges on a beam scale and placing them in vials makes any difference than using a volume measurer in the field as I’ve not tested accuracy between the 2 methods, I basically started right out pre weighing. To me personally it’s a mental thing from 30 years of Precision Centerfire reloading. I try and take out EVERY possible variable i can, Weighing your powder charges on a quality beam scale and placing them in vials is definitely gonna be more precise than filling a volume measure in the field, i have tested my Volume measure for consistency, in my testing i found it varied about 5 grains, and that was using the ‘tap tap tap’ on the volume measurer to help settle the powder more evenly

As I’ve said before, Accuracy is my number 1 priority in this stuff. It is cool to hit a gallon jug of water at 100 yards with open sights, But even cooler when you can “call” the Cap of the Gallon jug and take it off. That is the kind of accuracy i strive for! ANYTHING i feel might give me an edge? I’M GONNA TAKE IT! :yeah:

I think it comes down to what we each individually want/expect? LOTS of guys would be pleased with a pie plate group at 100 yards, to me personally i want/expect WAY better than that, and by taking out EVERY possible variable i can, i feel it gives me a better chance of achieving my goal

Jokker78 said:
Does the cap snap on well enough to keep the powder in it ?

I think so. Seemed to work really well. Would be a lot easier carrying two or three of these as opposed to the speed loaders you purchase at the store.

Idaholewis said:
MrTom said:
I think it comes down to what we each individually want/expect? LOTS of guys would be pleased with a pie plate group at 100 yards, to me personally i want/expect WAY better than that, and by taking out EVERY possible variable i can, i feel it gives me a better chance of achieving my goal

I am kinda the same way. I am a stickler for my bullet going where I aim. Unfortunately, it usually is not the guns problem but my own limitations. Have not done too bad though. 2 really nice bucks last year and 2 really nice bucks this year and a plump doe too so I am very pleased either way. Only lost one deer I shot at (doe), because I made a bad decision to take the shot. Not even sure I hit her. Other than her it was five for five. I can put the bullet where it needs to go on game but at targets it is another thing. I never hear the gun fire shooting at game but I know its going to happen at the range. Just call me flinch master.

deadeyedick said:
Idaholewis said:
MrTom said:

I am kinda the same way. I am a stickler for my bullet going where I aim. Unfortunately, it usually is not the guns problem but my own limitations. Have not done too bad though. 2 really nice bucks last year and 2 really nice bucks this year and a plump doe too so I am very pleased either way. Only lost one deer I shot at (doe), because I made a bad decision to take the shot. Not even sure I hit her. Other than her it was five for five. I can put the bullet where it needs to go on game but at targets it is another thing. I never hear the gun fire shooting at game but I know its going to happen at the range. Just call me flinch master.

Target/Bench shooting can DEFINITELY be a real NIGHTMARE for some! I have a good friend that simply can NOT shoot a group with a rifle on a Bullseye type target, example being if i shoot a true 1” group with a given rifle, Kevin will be DARN lucky if he can shoot a 10” Group with that exact same rifle/load. But here is the funny part, Make that 100 yard target a life size deer target with vitals etc. And he can hit it anywhere you ask him to? He has a SERIOUS case of target panic. I know this all to well, i have this EXACT same problem with Target Archery, I literally quit going to 3D shoots, the last 3D shoot i went to was 5 or so years ago, i totally missed the Largest target of the entire shoot, A GIANT BULL Moose standing Broadside at 50 yards, i punched the trigger release and pulled my bow arm, i shot right in front of it’s chest, my arrow never touched him, down over the mountain it went. I knew after doing that i would likely never go to another 3D Archery shoot, and to this day I haven’t done so. I don’t like groups of people, i never have! I was shooting with 3 other guys, plus another Larger group directly on our heels, by the time i was ready to shoot, that other group of people was standing there watching, That TOTALLY destroyed me!

I met my wife at a Gun Club where i use to shoot Competition Trap, sporting Clays, and 5 Stand, Trap was my favorite Game, even though it was repetitious and somewhat boring, From a young boy on I have always had a fairly natural ability to shoot a shotgun well, They feel natural to me. Out of 100 clay birds i was always in the high 80s to mid 90s, I never did run 100 straight birds, but came VERY close a few times in the high 90s. The absolute best shooting i ever done was on target nights, i ran MANY MANY 25 straights, But on Competition Day i was always edgy/nervous.

Moral of the story, Target shooting is something you REALLY have to train yourself to do well! And in a group setting with people around it can make it a whole different deal

My grandson works in surgical equipment supply at one of Mayo Clinic’s local hospitals and he keeps me well stocked with tubes just perfect for powder charges. I also order Lane’s tubes. Some tubes are great for holding several sabot/bullet combo, some are better for carrying powder,

One can never have enough tubes. I also fish and make custom tackle and these tubes come in handy here too.

I ordered some tubes from Lane back on June 30 and have never received them. I sent him an email several days ago inquiring about the order, but have not heard back. Has anybody had the same experience? Hope he doesn’t have health problems.

I use these tubes in a Stalwart loading blocks. Have used them for years and have no complaints. They will hold 100 plus grains. I have many of these (tubes) if anyone needs them. 20161223_193337.jpg

Target/Bench shooting can DEFINITELY be a real NIGHTMARE for some! I have a good friend that simply can NOT shoot a group with a rifle on a Bullseye type target, example being if i shoot a true 1” group with a given rifle, Kevin will be DARN lucky if he can shoot a 10” Group with that exact same rifle/load. But here is the funny part, Make that 100 yard target a life size deer target with vitals etc. And he can hit it anywhere you ask him to? He has a SERIOUS case of target panic. I know this all to well, i have this EXACT same problem with Target Archery, I literally quit going to 3D shoots, the last 3D shoot i went to was 5 or so years ago, i totally missed the Largest target of the entire shoot, A GIANT BULL Moose standing Broadside at 50 yards, i punched the trigger release and pulled my bow arm, i shot right in front of it’s chest, my arrow never touched him, down over the mountain it went. I knew after doing that i would likely never go to another 3D Archery shoot, and to this day I haven’t done so. I don’t like groups of people, i never have! I was shooting with 3 other guys, plus another Larger group directly on our heels, by the time i was ready to shoot, that other group of people was standing there watching, That TOTALLY destroyed me!

I met my wife at a Gun Club where i use to shoot Competition Trap, sporting Clays, and 5 Stand, Trap was my favorite Game, even though it was repetitious and somewhat boring, From a young boy on I have always had a fairly natural ability to shoot a shotgun well, They feel natural to me. Out of 100 clay birds i was always in the high 80s to mid 90s, I never did run 100 straight birds, but came VERY close a few times in the high 90s. The absolute best shooting i ever done was on target nights, i ran MANY MANY 25 straights, But on Competition Day i was always edgy/nervous.

Moral of the story, Target shooting is something you REALLY have to train yourself to do well! And in a group setting with people around it can make it a whole different deal
Funny you said that, I'm in the same boat. I have such a hard time consistantly hitting a bullseye target but give me a deer silhouette target and I can put a ball anywhere I want.

Funny you said that, I'm in the same boat. I have such a hard time consistantly hitting a bullseye target but give me a deer silhouette target and I can put a ball anywhere I want.

Bench Rest, Target Shooting is NOT Easy, It takes a LOT of Discipline to get Really Good at it. The Worst thing i can do to myself is Shoot BIG HEAVY Recoiling Loads, Like my New 625 Grain Custom Buffalo Arms Mold/Bullet, It’ a .50 Cal Creedmoor Style Bullet, I put 95 Grains of Swiss 2F Behind it, She is an EYE OPENER! That Load shoots INCREDIBLE, But Recoil is AWFUL as one can imagine. I don’t shoot these BIG HEAVY Recoiling Loads all that often, They Will ABSOLUTELY Make a Mess out of My Shooting, I catch myself starting to Flinch. The Few times a Year that i Do Shoot these BIG HEAVY Recoiling Loads, I pull up my Boot Laces and Deal with it :) about 6-8 Shots is PLENTY for 1 Session. Then i go back to my MUCH lighter Recoiling 45s

Recoil is our Enemy, As tough as we would like to “Pretend“ We are, We ALL Struggle with Recoil :) I challenge ANYONE to show me somebody that claims Recoil is a “Non issue” to them, in return I will Show you Somebody that is FULL of 💩!! Yes we can learn to Deal with it, But it doesn’t come Natural, it takes a LOT of Discipline

We as human beings naturally Want to Flinch at a Gun Shot, Due to the Recoil we are anticipating, We KNOW it’s coming! This is a Constant Struggle. The ONLY way we can Shoot to our FULLEST Potential, is to Squeeze the Trigger til it “Breaks”, And Allow the Rifle to do WHATEVER it wants to us :) Bench/Target Shooting is VERY MUCH a Mental Game

Last edited:
I won't say recoil is a non-issue, but I'm very well used to it. 🤭

You have to learn how to control it is all.

All these boys on here, except one other (Fishhawk), think that 120grsV of BH209 kicks like hell. I laugh my ask off every time I read things like that.

Try stuffing a BP Xpress or RUM full of T7 and push a 300gr bullet down on top. Without a brake, it IS an insane issue. Even with a brake, its violent.

Just keep shoot'n :)

I won't say recoil is a non-issue, but I'm very well used to it. 🤭

You have to learn how to control it is all.

All these boys on here, except one other (Fishhawk), think that 120grsV of BH209 kicks like hell. I laugh my ask off every time I read things like that.

Try stuffing a BP Xpress or RUM full of T7 and push a 300gr bullet down on top. Without a brake, it IS an insane issue. Even with a brake, its violent.

Just keep shoot'n :)

Precisely! In order to Shoot Really well, To our FULLEST Potential, we ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO LEARN TO CONTROL IT. I have trained myself to “Deal” With Recoil. But Fact is, i Don’t like a Bunch of it, and Forcing Myself to Sit at a Bench, over the Hood, Etc. And endure a BUNCH of it, is Asking for Problems. I have done that to myself in the past :)

As a young 20-25 Year Old Man, I made a mess out of my Shooting with an Old Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag and 250 Grain Handloads, That Particular Rifle due to the Drop Comb? Kicked like a MULE, I became SO Recoil Sensative that I couldn’t Shoot a Decent Group if my Life depended on it. I finally excepted that i couldn‘t Keep Shooting that Gun, I ended up selling that Rifle. I then MADE MYSELF go back to a .22 Rifle and Train Myself to Shoot again.

Latest posts

Back