Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40 & Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchekRN

Reaction score
I own the above scope. Mounted on a TC Impact. Leupold info really only refers to using 'pellets' for powder and adjusting the power ring on the scope to match the number of pellets. My rifle is super accurate with the BH 209 and it requires considerably less maintenance. My question is this: has anyone figured a way to reconcile the BH 209 powder vs the pellets? What about using different weight bullets? I think I figured it out with Barnes TEZ Spitfire 250 gr. but I'd like to try to set up the scope with the Barnes TEZ 290 gr. Shoots tighter groups. Any suggestions? I don't have access to a range beyond 200 yds, which is one of Leupold's suggestions.

The idea of the bullet drop compensate can be addressed a different way. Take your favorite load. Sight the main cross hair in at 100 yards. Then start range work and see at what distance the second mark hits, the third, etc. It might be 147 yards or 163. What ever it comes out to, you know, your load will hit at a predetermined distance on that mark. No game animal comes out and stands at a precise distance for the cross hairs anyway. I thyink that scope (I looked at one at Wal Mart) is a really good scope.

I have Omega scopes with BDC on my rifles. Nikon has a program where you can plug in your bullet, velocities, and such to figure out your distances for the different aiming points on the scope. I would guess that your aiming points are spaced very similar to the Omega. I would visit Nikon's web site and plug some numbers in. I would believe it would get you close.

My setup
290gr Barnes TMZ
110gr BH209
Muzzle velocity 1900fps
100yd zero

1st dot. 121yds
2nd dot. 154yds
3rd dot. 194yds
4th dot. 235yds

Thanks for the replies. I have the Nikon Slughunter BDC on my Savage 220 shotgun so I'm familiar with their Spot On program. I also reread Randy Wakemans MPBR post and that made sense, too. At my range I can't really move targets to figure where the bullet impacts would be in relation to the dots. I might not have thought that one through well enough, though.

I had the Impact at the range today. I thought I had calculated out a muzzle velocity with the weight of BH 209 grains (on a scale) matching 2 pellets. Used the Blackhorn 209 reference table on their website to match Leupolds data on theirs. Sighted in at 100 yds, then set the scope on2 pellets. Point of impact was about 8" low at 150 and about 6" low at 200. Not nearly good enough in my book. I sure had fun trying, tho....

Hey BuckDoehunter, do you weigh your powder, or use volume?

I use volume but want to weigh in the future, I have to decide electronic scale or balance beam.

I use this method: pour a slight mound on top of the measure and then tap on the table to settle the powder, i know if I'm off if the settled powder sits too low or high in the measure.

Back