Vortex Crossfire II 1x24

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Wisconsin had the zero optics regulation I used three 1x scopes. The first was a Nikon 1x20mm and that was just a great scope. Clear, and if the crosshairs were set, it sure beat open sights. The others were a Thompson Center Hawken Hunter 1x32mm. Again, a very good scope but I was able to shake it apart. T/C never questioned the warranty they simply exchanged the broken scope for a new one. It fogged on me when hunting. The last one I used was a $50.00 scope. It was a Traditions 1x32mm and I have to admit, I tried to break it but was never able to. For the money it was a very good scope.

I sold off the nikon after the law changed. But still have the T/C and 2 of the Traditions scopes. I throw them on their respective rifle once in a while and shoot them. And they are still very accurate. For the kind of shooting I encountered in the deep woods of Wisconsin, actually the 1x scope worked just fine. But I admit, I like the magnification scopes better.

Good luck with your scope.

I must have a DOZEN of the Vortex Scopes, most of them being the Crossfire II 2x7x32, for the money they are a great scope. :yeah:

Thanks guys. Yeah, apparently they just came out this spring, so I haven't found much in the way of reviews on them, but Vortex makes some pretty good stuff. I have faith that this one will be as well.

Just to follow up with this post, I have the optic mounted and I'm impressed. It's an attractive, matte black with tasteful white Vortex markings on it. Adjustments in elevation and windage are in 1/2 MOA increments. The eye relief is pretty generous (3.5" or so), and the glass is pretty good. It's crystal clear to the edges of the tube. It seems to be pretty good at letting light in, which I was concerned about with the small 24mm objective. Even in my shop, with the lights out at dusk-time I was still able to see through the tube. I haven't had it out in inclement weather, so I can't attest to whether it's truly fog-proof, but it is advertised as such. It also is sold with a "Lifetime" warranty. So far I like it. I'll update you guys if my initial opinion changes.

Did you use your scope this past season? My brother bought one and used his. Comparing my Nikon 1x20 to his vortex I think the Vortex is quite a bit brighter. It is a solid scope for sure.

I've been trying to find the Vortex 1x24 for my muzzy but they are out of stock everywhere. I really want to look through the scope and see how it compares to the TC 1x32 scope I currently have.

I wish Utah would up the power to maybe 4x. I'm planning on going to my local RAC meeting this year and voice my opinion about the 1x scope in Utah, maybe if we speak up the DWR will make a change. I was told by the Utah DWR that they are trying to keep muzzleloading primitive in Utah. Well with inline rifles, 209 ignition, BH209, and shooting saboted pistol bullets I would say we are far from primitive at this point so why not give us a little more scope so we can get a little better quality scope and have more choices.

muddydogs said:
I've been trying to find the Vortex 1x24 for my muzzy but they are out of stock everywhere. I really want to look through the scope and see how it compares to the TC 1x32 scope I currently have.

I wish Utah would up the power to maybe 4x. I'm planning on going to my local RAC meeting this year and voice my opinion about the 1x scope in Utah, maybe if we speak up the DWR will make a change. I was told by the Utah DWR that they are trying to keep muzzleloading primitive in Utah. Well with inline rifles, 209 ignition, BH209, and shooting saboted pistol bullets I would say we are far from primitive at this point so why not give us a little more scope so we can get a little better quality scope and have more choices.

I hear what your saying. If they allow inline rifles, 209 ignition, and modern sabot projectiles.. how can that be considered primitive? Well the answer is optics. If you limit your optics, even the best shooter with the newest whiz bang bullets and ignitions are normally at no more advantage over a well made traditional rifle. If distance is your wish, then the Gibbs with a Vernier Tang Sight or a Creedmoor sight might be the cat's you know what. They can do some impressive shooting with them peep sights. But I would guess that Utah like Wisconsin used to do, refused to allow magnification on optics to keep the shooting distances down. Now that they allow magnification, I know guys that practice out to 250 yards with their inline rifles here in Wisconsin. Another example, last summer a carpenter working on the house asked me about muzzleloaders. He bragged he had a Optima with a 3-9x40 scope and he shot powerbelts. He was saying ... I bought that, sighted it in, and have been shooting at deer ever since. He had no idea of the traditional aspect of the muzzleloaders. Nor does he shoot in the off season. He just wanted to hunt more. And I can understand that. But with an inline and optics, he was now deer hunting. I always wondered... would he be hunting if it was still 1x scopes? So while I shoot magnification scopes, I always kind of wished that Wisconsin would have kept the 1x rule in effect. But that's just my opinion. I say if its legal, then hunt with it.

IMO you cant go wrong with Vortex, I have them on both Whites, Vortex Diamond Back 1.75 X 5 X 32 , my custom sporter built off a type 99 Arisaka action has the Vortex Crossfire II 3X9X40, my wife Marlin XL7 in .243 Ackley has a Vortex Crossfire II 3x9x40, my longrange 7mm Practical has Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44 with Kenton Industries Custom Ballistic Trajectory Turrets, Vortex Anti Cant Device. Great optics in my book.

Well 1x scopes are now a dime a dozen in Utah, well guys are still trying to sell them for top dollar but a month or so ago Utah lifted the 1x regulation to no regulation on magnification. I went out an purchased a Vortex 4-16 for the 7mm and put the Vortex 3-9 on my muzzy. Anyone need a 1x scope, I have 2 setting in the parts box. Might have to put one of the 1x scopes on the grandson's BB gun.

Latest posts

Back