Need help deciding on a scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got some cash together to get a new scope for my Disc Extreme. I’m currently using a 2-7X Vortex Viper that I borrowed from my .308 Sako. Whether the Knight keeps the Viper or goes back on the Sako and I get something new for the Extreme, I need a new scope and my choice will either be another 2-7X (I really like the size of these for my hunting) or a 3-9X. Some factors to consider are durability, optic quality, decent eye relief (but not too much at the expense of field of view) and warranty/customer service. Price range has a hard ceiling of $250.

One final requirement – the scope has to come from Cabelas as I have a $100 gift card that is part of my allowable budget. I know this limits my choices.

I am happy to go to the maximum $$ in my budget provided it’s money well spent. What I can see in my range:

Bushnell Trophy XLT (3-9) - $139-$169, depending on reticule
Redfield Revenge (2-7, 3-9) - $139-$179
Nikon ProStaff (2-7, 3-9) - $149-$179
Burris Fullfield II (2-7, 3-9) - $149-$199
Bushnell Trophy DOA Muzzleloader (3-9) - $169
Redfield Revolution (2-7, 3-9) - $179-$249
Vortex Diamondback (3-9) - $189-$199
Nikon Inline XR Muzzleloader (3-9) - $199-$219
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD (3-9) - $199-$249
Burris Fullfield E1 (2-7, 3-9) - $199-$249
Leupold VX-1 (2-7, 3-9) - $209-$229

So what should I get? Please don’t suggest I save up to get something just a little out of my price limit, any other money I “put aside” will go towards something else.

One last question as I am in no particular hurry to pick up the scope. Is there a time of year that Cabelas has the best prices/close-outs? Don’t think I can wait till the end of next season but if that’s the best time, I might try to stay strong.

I like the Burris FFII and the Revolution (non-Accurange) from the ones you listed. Vortex are also nice but ive never used them.

The 2-7 is a favorite scope of mine. I currently have three Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm and just think they are one of the best scopes on the market for the kind of shooting I encounter. Excellent optics, excellent warranty should I ever need it, and they gather light better then about any other scope I ever looked through.

I also have a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm. Originally it was sold as a Browning Scope. But when you took it out of the box, all it says on it every where, even in the pamphlet is Bushnell. I purchased this for my White M97 in .451 as I needed a tough solid scope. And it has been just that. The one draw back some find in this scope is ... firefly. Firefly is a feature that if you shine a flashlight through the scope, say at fading light hours of hunting, the cross hairs glow green. Sounds good right? But the cross hairs are very fat, in order to absorb light I think. But the very center of the hairs are very fine. So I use the scope posts as kind of a range finder for me. I sight in large conicals at 50 yards. At 100 yards the fat part of the cross hair puts me right in the bull. Firefly is not for everyone. Some hate it. Some like it.

I also was playing with a Leupold Revenge at the gun shop. I don't own it, but it really looked like an outstanding scope. He had one mounted of a fake stock so you could pull it. And the clarity of it was amazing.

Other Scopes I really like is the Nikon Omega. Mine is a 3-9x40 and IMO one of the finest scopes I have ever shot. Clarity is outstanding, eye relief is 4 inches, warranty... Nikon Life time. Just a real nice scope. But mine does not have the BDC. And that was by choice. Where I hunt, I don't need it.

Your list shows you've done your homework. I am sure you will make a good choice.

I have 4 of the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 BDC scopes, great scopes, no problems with any of them, 3 are the BDC 250, 1 of the BDC 300 (XR). Very clear, 5 inches of eye relief (I've been kissed in the forehead before, never again), the bullet POI follows your adjustments very close, good in low light conditions, no coins or tools needed for adjustments, just your fingers. Overall, very happy with them.

Look at a Bushnell Elite 2-7x32. It is right at your price range of $250 and the glass will beat anything in your list. My elite 3-9x40 is every bit as good in low light as my Zeiss of the same power and a step above my vx-ii also of the same power. And the raingaurd feature is every bit as good as they claim.

I would have it narrowed down to the Burris Fullfield II and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD if I was buying a scope in that price range.

I just purchased a Redfield Revenge in 6-18x44 and the clarity of it is astounding. I also have a Bushnell 3200 Elite in 4-12x40 and the clarity of the Revenge beats the Bushnell. I spent a day on the range shooting them side by side. However I also have a Redifeld Redvolution and a Nikon Prostaff, the prosataff in one tough scope for the money. I have it mounted on my Ithaca M37 12 ga. via cantilever mount and it has taken quite a beating with todays modern sabot slugs and hold its zero well. All in all I can not say anything bad about the four scopes I own they are all pretty close to each other.

Of the models you have listed I'd definitely go with the Nikon ProStaff. I have one on my .30-06 and absolutely love it. I'm not a fan of BDC style reticles. For what it's worth both of my MLs have Traditions 3-9X40 scopes on them and they both shoot 1" groups. They were $75 right from Traditions and come with rings and bases. Anyway like I said you can't go wrong with the Nikon ProStaff!

SteveH said:
I finally got some cash together to get a new scope for my Disc Extreme. I’m currently using a 2-7X Vortex Viper that I borrowed from my .308 Sako. Whether the Knight keeps the Viper or goes back on the Sako and I get something new for the Extreme, I need a new scope and my choice will either be another 2-7X (I really like the size of these for my hunting) or a 3-9X. Some factors to consider are durability, optic quality, decent eye relief (but not too much at the expense of field of view) and warranty/customer service. Price range has a hard ceiling of $250.

One final requirement – the scope has to come from Cabelas as I have a $100 gift card that is part of my allowable budget. I know this limits my choices.

I am happy to go to the maximum $$ in my budget provided it’s money well spent. What I can see in my range:

So what should I get? Please don’t suggest I save up to get something just a little out of my price limit, any other money I “put aside” will go towards something else.

One last question as I am in no particular hurry to pick up the scope. Is there a time of year that Cabelas has the best prices/close-outs? Don’t think I can wait till the end of next season but if that’s the best time, I might try to stay strong.

Of the ones you had listed I struck off the list the ones I would stay away from and concentrate on the ones that I left on the list.

Out of the ones left on your list if I had to choose one today I would probably go with Nikon only because I feel the clarity is a bit better than the rest of the pack.
The Burris would be just right behind it. The Redfields would be towards the bottom of the list but quite frankly they are all excellent.

Edwardamason said:
SteveH said:

Of the ones you had listed I struck off the list the ones I would stay away from and concentrate on the ones that I left on the list.

Out of the ones left on your list if I had to choose one today I would probably go with Nikon only because I feel the clarity is a bit better than the rest of the pack.
The Burris would be just right behind it. The Redfields would be towards the bottom of the list but quite frankly they are all excellent.

Have you even looked through a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD?? Some of the scopes you left listed don't even hold a candle to it...

chaded said:
Edwardamason said:
SteveH said:

Have you even looked through a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD?? Some of the scopes you left listed don't even hold a candle to it...
Sure I have. And there is good reason why I leave them off MY list.

Thanks for the replies so far. I've cross posted this on a few other sites and seem to be narrowing the field down to the Vortex Diamondback (I'm a big fan of Vortex), the Nikon Prostaff (lots of positives), the Burris Fulfield II, and the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.

I don't know much about the Bushnell. I know the Legend line has been around for quite some time but am unfamiliar with the Legend Ultra HD. It seems to be the thing now to lable stuff "HD" so I have suspcions of gimmickry. Basically it seems this scope is maybe a step below the Elite series, which is itself derived from the 3200 and 4200 series. I do like the idea of Rainguard.

One big thing to consider is customer service. On cheap scopes it is often needed. Vortex has outstanding customer service. I do see a lot of refurb Nikons for sale, so maybe they get a lot of returns. Burris is decent, I actually own the FFII scope and have no complaints about it. Bushnell would be last on my list, definitely so for a cheap scope. There are volumes about people complaining about their customer service and quality on the net. I know I will not buy another Bushnell product.

:D

I use the REDFIELD 4 X 12 and I I don't have a bad thing to say about them at all. They are on all of my V2'S and my MR. Cost is reasonable and I'm really satisfied.. Started with the Nikon Pro Staff series and just didn't care for them.

Ray........ :wink:

I agree with Ray on the Redfields. I've had both & never had a single issue. I will add in the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD because it is a fantastic scope with what I believe is the best glass in it's class & if you hunt in any nasty weather it has the Rainguard coating.It is so much better than the Trophy XLT!!!! In any case, any of these scopes will suit you just fine.

Ended up going with the Vortex Diamondback. Got it last week, mounted on my Disc Extreme yesterday. It seems well made with nice glass. Not quite as solid as my Vortex Viper but close. Planning on getting to the range tomorrow morning, we'll see how it zeros up.

Thanks again. :wink:

Latest posts

Back