Scopes ?!? Nikon vs Leupold vs Vortex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkey

Reaction score
Nikon XR 3x9x40
Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40
Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40
Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40
When I look at the Leupold V3 models I am not impressed anymore something has changed...I do not care for the V2 or V1 line.

I can not find a Nikon XR to look at...I called Nikon to see if it was a comparison to the pro staff or buckmaster and to be honest the rep did not know but was honest and I respect that.

I have tremendous use of the Nikon buckmaster...

The leupold ultimate slam 3x9x40 seems to be nice but have only looked at it in a store....

Vortex.....so want to get my hands on one to look at!!!! No knowledge on this brand and particular scope.

Would love your experience and knowledge on these scopes.

Thanks

It might be a challenge to find someone with experience with all three of these brands. I have experience with Vortex. Started with a Viper 2-7 and then picked up a Diamondback 3-9. Even the Diamondback made me realize I need new binocs. IMO, very high quality for the price. Although I have not needed it, I understand that Vortex's CS is second to none.

Best advice I can give is to check them all out and go with the one that has the best clarity, specs (field of view and eye relief) for the price you are will to pay.

So hard to find a place who has all them in stock or in stock at one time.

I have 1 Ultimate Slams on one of my .45 Master Hunters, and I love it, but I also have 6 or 7 of the Vortex Diamdback on several .45s and some centerfires also. I buy nothing but Vortex now. Take a look at the VORTEX CROSSFIRE II, I have a few of them and they are also a great scope for the money. Ther office is just down the road from our UPS Center in Middleton Wi., you walk in the front door and they treat you like a KING. :yeah: :yeah:

I have had all 3 & my least favorite to look thru was the Nikon. My favorites that I use now are Leupold VX-R 4-12x40 Fire dot 30mm, Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 also a 30mm tube, & even though it's not part of the comparison, the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. My favorite of the 3 is the Leupold.

sorry, but none of the above for me. My accura has a kahles helia cl 3-10x50 multizero on it. Unbelievable glass and I can run the multizero to any distance and by any yardage increment I want.

Not sure if you have decided yet or not but I bought my first vortex scope about 5 years ago and to date that is all I will buy. Their clarity and brightness is incredible. Especially for the price. Their customer service is second to none and the warranty is great.

I have all three brands and vortex and leupold are the same to me with Nikon behind them.

My bias is, I look at nothing but Leupold these days. One of my favorite scopes is the VX3 2.5 X 8. It's a great hunting scope, light and sits low. I have 2 and would buy another for any muzzle loader or center fire rifle.

got a redfield revolution 3-9x40 on my knight its been a good scope fore price WORM

headhunter said:
sorry, but none of the above for me. My accura has a kahles helia cl 3-10x50 multizero on it. Unbelievable glass and I can run the multizero to any distance and by any yardage increment I want.

Kahles glass is indeed outstanding, but the scope you are talking about is around $1500. Not really a fair comparison between a Kahles Helia and midrange Vortex, Nikon or Leupold scopes.

I recently picked up a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 as a budget optic for my slug gun. So far, I really like this optic.

Glass is better than normal for the price range, long eye relief, good clarity in low light and adjustable parallax. I don't know how much I'll ever use the adjustable parallax in the field, but it is a nice feature for the range.

I would add I consider personally "budget" glass to be in the $200ish retail range. I've had my experiences with $50 NIB scopes, and in my opinion the poor tracking, optical abberations and twitchy zero just aren't worth the $ savings. Better to look around for gently used, demo or closeout models and buy better glass at a bargain price than look for cheap scopes at a "bargain" price.

I was a Leupold guy for years, then I picked up a vortex viper 6.5-20, and a Nightforce nsx 8-32 for some long range guns. they ALL are great scopes with great warranty. It really depends on your budget.

I have all three. Nikon inline xr,Leupold ultimate slam,Vortex Diamondback. I like the Nikon the best. I wish they made it in a duplex reticle. The Diamondback is not currently mounted on a gun but seems like a good scope. Tried it on Redemption but couldn't get it far enough back for eye relief.

rangerod said:
I have all three. Nikon inline xr,Leupold ultimate slam,Vortex Diamondback. I like the Nikon the best. I wish they made it in a duplex reticle. The Diamondback is not currently mounted on a gun but seems like a good scope. Tried it on Redemption but couldn't get it far enough back for eye relief.

Probably my only complaint about the regular Diamondback line from Vortex is the short (between 3" and 3.5") eye relief, which as you say, can make it hard to obtain proper eye relief on certain rifles. However, the Diamondback HP line doesn't have this issue, with 4" to 4.6" relief, making it a lot easier to fit the scope to the rifle.

Vortex is in a league of its own when comparing similar priced scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread, as I need a scope for my new Mountaineer. Good info fellas

Kraig said:

Keep in mind this thread is 2 years old. Most of the scopes on the list have been upgraded since then. What scopes are you leaning towards Now? Maybe we can help with new info.

03mossy said:
Kraig said:

Keep in mind this thread is 2 years old. Most of the scopes on the list have been upgraded since then. What scopes are you leaning towards Now? Maybe we can help with new info.

I wasn't really leaning towards any quite yet, maybe a Leupold VX3, but who knows. Wanted to set my new Mountaineer up for hunting and long range shooting in hopes I can do some competition stuff. Just asking myself though if I'm gonna have the time to do the competition shoots with all the stuff I have going on and now trying for another child.. maybe I should just go for a quality hunting scope.

The trying for the next kid is the easy part :wink: . The real work begins after. I got 4 under 11 years so I have some experience in this.
For a scope look at Leupolds new VX3i line. Specifically the 4-14 model with the CDS dials. Would work for competition and be a great hunting scope. Or even better find one of the VX6 2-12 models in closeout, then you gain the firedot recticle which is awesome!

Latest posts

Back