Best Range Finder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzle-loader

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new range finder, I have contemplated the Leupold and the Leica. Does any one have any thoughts on these two or possibly another one that I haven't looked at. Thanks!!!

I have heard lots of good talk on the Leica. But that's all it is, talk. I never handled one or played with it. I guess you get what you pay for. I use an old Bushnell Trophy that was very inexpensive. But for what I do it works fine. I really wish I could help you. Both of those brands you named, sound real good. But when I was shopping for my range finder, everyone I talked to suggested the Leica to me. I just did not want to spend that kind of money on one.

Just got the Leica Geovid 10x42's the other day.i haven't used it out side the house yet but was ranging telephone poles from 1200 to 1780 yards from my livingroom chair.Also just picked up a set of vortex 12x50 Razor bino's of course they are not rangefinder's but last night from 9:15 till 9:30 ish i was comparing the brightness and ability to see that telephone pole at 1780yd and the razor's where alittle brighter and easier to see the pole and surrounding area.Could be the extra 2 power and 8mm but at that time it's to late to shoot.
Leica's Geovid HD-B are not cheap but you get the best ranging tech plus a real nice bino that fits really nice.I still have my pair of Leica 7x42's for 20 or so year's and decided to upgrade to the Geovids.And on the plus side one unit bino rangefinder compared to a set of bino's and a rangefinder.

I'm in Canada and Wholesale sports is selling them for $3305 plus tax seen them on afew camera optic's stores for $2995 down south in the USA but i got mine off ebay for $2750 so i saved some $$$.
The ranging tech is the same as the G7 BR2 rangefinder thay use on that longrange hunting show,with acouple of differences in programing it runs about $1800 plus tax so for another $1000 i got some relly nice bino's.

I have a 'Factory refurbished' Nikon Monarch 800 I got from an ebay seller. It may of been about $170 or so. It works just fine.

You guys are talking a lot of coin here. Does it matter if the range is 600 or 1200'? That's to far anyway, unless just making a plan. I'd think for most of use 50-400 yards is what we deal with. Just my opinion, but unless flush with $$ seems extravagant to drop that on a high end range finder.

With the lieca's you are also getting i think the best glass you can get plus a awsome rangefinder.
The best equipment is never the cheapest.Get the best scope and bino's you can afford cuss if you can't see them you can't shoot them

bp45cal said:
With the lieca's you are also getting i think the best glass you can get plus a awsome rangefinder.
The best equipment is never the cheapest.Get the best scope and bino's you can afford cuss if you can't see them you can't shoot them

+1 The glass on my lieca 1600 is better than many good quality mid priced binos and it's ranging abilities make every leupold RF or any other I've had seem like junk. The lieca actually ranges out to 1300yds and beyond under normal field conditions, partially due to its narrow beam. Try that with the others. some may say or 1000yds or more on the side but most choke somewhere between 400-600yds. A lot fail to range at even closer. You really do get what you pay for.

the geovids hd-b I have will ranged telephone polls that run up a hill at 2025 yds sitting on my livingroom couch { ranging threw front window }
they are great for watching the bighorn sheep from the couch also 8) 8)
that's one of the better rams in my avatar

I have a Bushnell arc, dont recommend it at all, fine for archery ranges but useless at distance with that huge circle they use.

My cousin and uncle have Leopold, I like them, easy to range with, easy to see and work well.

IMO, the Sig Kilo 2000 is the best rangefinder on the market. I bought one this year and its range and 1/4 second update is legit.

If money is no object, then I would say Leica. The ones I've handled seem to be top notch, and they are continually raved about from anyone who owns them.

They are very expensive however.

Personally, for what I do, a Leupold 650i rangefinder is excellent. Of course anything I do related to shooting is inside of 300 yards, and my primary use for a rangefinder is bowhunting, which means I need about 40 yards of capability :wink: .

If I was planning to hunt or shoot long range, I'd start saving up for a Leica.

Latest posts

Back