Puzzled.............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The UPS driver dropped it off this forenoon. :wink:

Mounted the scope, then took it out to my 100yd range and zeroed it. Then headed up to the range to set the zero and turret at 200yds. After a couple adjustments, she was poking a single hole.
I turned the turret to 300 and sent a few rounds at a 300yd target. It tracked well, although ever so slightly high, which could have been me.
I turned the turret to shoot 400yds, then sent two rounds. Put them side by side but right and 4" high. I didn't have a spotting scope, so I estimated I needed to adjust 3" left and after the adjustment sent another two rounds. Those rounds also hit 4" high, but moved 3" left.
Shooting was from a front rest and rear bag.

I'm ready for Friday..........

I'm getting really tired of tearing up scopes on muzzleloaders :huh?:

Scope broke again today shooting off a front rest and rear bag. Put the first 4 rounds basically in the same hole, then everything went to pot. Darn thing shot all over the place. The turret feels like its actually unscrewing and gets looser. Full length Mark4 15MOA mount and Mark4 rings.
A call to Leupold and they offered either a replacement to an upgrade, or a full refund. Of course I took the HD upgrade but, it may be April because of production.
FRUSTRATING.............. :(

Well that sucks! I literally just got done moving my vx6 off my 30-06 onto my Mountaineer. Glad leupold is fixing you up. They are good at that. I'm curious your thoughts on the vx6hd when you get it. I mean really how much better can it really be than the vx6 line?

03mossy said:
Well that sucks! I literally just got done moving my vx6 off my 30-06 onto my Mountaineer. Glad leupold is fixing you up. They are good at that. I'm curious your thoughts on the vx6hd when you get it. I mean really how much better can it really be than the vx6 line?

I've read where a guy sold his VX6 and replaced it with the VX-HD he liked it so much. How frustrating it can be, when we have this nice weather and I can't practice for the three shoots this spring. And I NEED the trigger time badly. I've had a radial nerve issue with my trigger finger all winter and my trigger pad is still numb. During December and all of January, I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee using my index (trigger) finger for pain. The pain is gone, but the numbness remains. Doc says it will take a long time to repair itself. So I needed the trigger time for more than just practice. Maybe its time to get out a CF just for the finger/trigger time.

Iv only got 1 leuipold left because I got tired of sending them back took the refunds and bought other brands. It's funny though the one I have left sits atop a unbreaked 460 weatherby mag one of the hardest recoiling guns made and it is still as good as new.

HUH. :think: I havent had a Leupold problem yet. I have a few vortex now, and one Nightforce, all so far, so good. Had 3 different zeiss all break, so done with them for me. Everyone has a different story with optics. Its like favorite beer.

It appears that its just one more thing I have no luck with. :huh?:
I might not have felt so bad had it been after another 1,000 rounds, but less than 100?
I was actually quite surprised that they offered to replace it with the new HD model, but having to wait maybe to April is a little frustrating in itself. When I removed the scope, everything was still torqued properly, so the Mark4 mount and rings held properly.

That is really frustrating to read let alone experience. Sounds like they are taking care of you in the CS department but maybe its time to see what else is out there? NF, Vortex, Bushnell.... Ive never had an HD so i cant compare the quality. My leupolds are now outnumbered in my safe to the above with the majority wearing vortex.

Nightforce is nice but if your looking to save a bit then both vortex/Bushnell are solid contenders. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The weekend weather has been beautiful, perfect to practice and here I sat frustrated. I believe I'm going to call Leupold back today and discuss my options again. I have the direct number to the tech who I talked with. I believe waiting until April for a scope replacement is just way to long, even if it is for an upgrade. If they can't replace the scope with the same variable, then how about upgrading to maybe the 4-24? If not, then exactly what refund will I receive and when?
If they offer me my full purchase price back, I'm leaning heavily towards taking it, then most likely replacing it with a NIghtforce. I've sent a lot of time looking at different scopes and listening to different recommendations. Nightforce always seems to be on the top of the list of recommendations. This one has caught my eye........ http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x50
I'm really not concerned with the 5.5 being the lowest power setting on the Nightforce variable, as I normally have the VX6 set to 5 when hunting, even in the woods.
With three different shoots this spring, two of them at the beginning of May, I need the practice and who knows what time in "April" I may get a replacement. Plus, I have a trigger finger issue and radial nerve problem to work through. Having the Leupold break on me twice has shaken my confidence with Leupold, and a shaken confidence is not what I need or want.

If it's in the budget I think nightforce is almost always the answer. It's not in my budget yet but when it is all my scoped guns will wear them.

Core-
I own that scope for CF rigs, absolutely no complaints but waited few years to find right sale and in the meantime purchased vortex.
. Use viper hst for inlines, no complaints.. PST line i used for cf, then bought the nxs.

Definitely wont be disappointed with any of those or even new bushnell lines at that. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Back