Puzzled.............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have an issue that just started during my last two shooting sessions and its boggling my mind. Not sure rather something is wrong with the scope or exactly what the heck is going on.

First, the scope is a Leupold VX6, 3-18. The scope is properly mounted to my Ultimate BP Xpress. The scope has a custom matched CDS turret, which has always been dead nuts. Zero the rifle at 200yds, set the turret with 3 allen screws. Once the turret was set at 200, just turn the turret to the range you want to shoot and it was exceptionally close. Actually dead on out to 400yds.

Three weeks ago, I headed to the range and hung targets at 200, 300 and 400yds. I checked the zero at 200yds which was still perfect. When I decided to shoot the 300yd target, as always, I turned the turret to 3 and fired three rounds. All three rounds impacted 6" high, good left to right. I turned the scope back to 2 and sent another round at the 200yd target and it hit properly. When I turned the scope back to 3 (300) and fired three more rounds, the rounds again hit 6" high, good left to right. Thinking it may have been "me", maybe not holding the rifle properly, I started paying a little more attention, dialed the turret to 4 (400) and sent three rounds. Those three rounds hit the target 6" high. ?????? I then turned the turret back down to "2" and sent a round, which was good. Back to 400 and it hit 6" high again but, they just like before grouped. So I thought I'd try something different and zeroed the scope at 300yds and set the turret. Then dialed down the turret to 200yds and sent three rounds, which hit 6" high. Dialed to 400 and sent 3 rounds, all hitting 6" high. I left the range puzzled.........

Fast forward to today......... Headed back to the range, rechecked the zero at 200yds, then shot the 300yd target after making the turret adjustment. 6" high, yet when I dial back down to 200 and shoot, its dead on.

I put in a call for a Leupold representative and will probably receive a call back on Monday.

Looking for thoughts................

Sorry, I'm kinda lost past 150 yards with a M-L. It should be a scope of exceptional quality. As we know, cheaper scopes have trouble in the 'repeatable' area or 'shooting the box'. The adjustments are general and may not be accurate as to '1 click is 1/4" at whatever yards.

Maybe your load ballistics isn't quite matched to the turret adjustments? With a simpler quandary(unreliable groups) I usually suggest shorter range until the problem is ironed out. I've seen guys shooting at 100 yards where they don't have a repeatable group to work with and adjust the scope with confidence.

An honest 3-400 yards is a long way out there. With the details you're talking I'd imagine you could easily handle the 200 yards and under range. Yes, nothing wrong with striving to wring the most out of shooting and seeing what's possible with the M-L.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to send the scope back to Leupold unless scope problems were confirmed at shorter ranges.

Have you made any changes from before until now to your rifle or shooting platform or bench ?

What if you start at 50 and extend range by 50 yd increments where does things fall apart.

Maybe different bullet lot or slight bullet dimension change

bestill said:
What if you start at 50 and extend range by 50 yd increments where does things fall apart.

Maybe different bullet lot or slight bullet dimension change

Nothing has changed that I know of. Even if the bullet BC changed from, say, .230 to .250, it would only make a difference of around 1" at the various distances. 6" is a significant difference.

There's no loss in groups, she continues to group. What puzzles me the most it, everything is repeatable. No matter what range I dial the scope to and shoot, then return it to my 200yd zero, its dead on. One fella suggested that it may be adding clicks as I raise, but that wouldn't make sense, as when I return down, its consistent. The scope is tracking properly.
I have a standard turret showing up this next week and will create my sheet. Way to close to our season to even think about sending in a scope. As long as its constant.... Its like someone sneaked into my safe and changed the turret on me.

I've also thought about calling Hodgden this next week. Yes, although its shooting pellets and I understand the variance, its hard to understand how there could be an additional 6" of elevation, at all distances. Even with last year's loads.

I'd also submit that the parabolic path of a M-L bullet is much more pronounced than that of a 30 cal 168 grain match bullet. Slight variations could have a large effect at longer distance.

Yep, that is puzzling for sure. I would say its calibrated wrong if it didn't work perfectly for you previously. 6" is alot. :huh?:

I guess the good thing is at least it is repeatable, which should help you somewhat in finding a solution. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out.

WV Hunter said:
Yep, that is puzzling for sure. I would say its calibrated wrong if it didn't work perfectly for you previously. 6" is alot. :huh?:

I guess the good thing is at least it is repeatable, which should help you somewhat in finding a solution. I'll be interested to see how it shakes out.

It was calibrated perfectly and has worked perfect through around 900 rounds. Waiting for a standard turret in the mail and will use my ballistics software to create a range card. Still haven't heard from Leupold, which means I should probably call them again.

ENCORE50A said:
WV Hunter said:

It was calibrated perfectly and has worked perfect through around 900 rounds. Waiting for a standard turret in the mail and will use my ballistics software to create a range card. Still haven't heard from Leupold, which means I should probably call them again.

Yeah, something ain't right. My experience with Leupold CS (though limited) has been fantastic. Call em again. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Shot it the other day using the sled and it grouped normal at 300 and had 3.5" groups at 400yds.... Maybe its just this old fart?

Think the puzzlement might be over..........

Beautiful range day so I headed to the club. Pretty much the same thing again. So after shooting 300, I returned the turret back to 200 and sent 5 rounds and never touched the turret. Grouped well but 6" high. I then dialed down the turret 6 clicks and sent two rounds. Not following, time to send the VX6 in for repair. Called and was going to send it in the morning.
This evening when I removed the scope and cleaned the rifle, I noticed that the front ring was loose in the mount. It actually rocked back and forth and would spin like a new nut into a bolt. (Standard Leupold mounts and rings). I believe I may have found at least a contributing factor, if not the problem. I had a set of Warne Maxima steel mounts on the bench, so I installed those this evening (yes blue loc-tite) and will head to buy new rings tomorrow. I'll mount them and shoot it before mailing in the scope. We'll see..........

6 clicks down at 200 and she did the following.

Scope is still "In the system" Hoping it shows up Monday or Tuesday.

Leupold wanted me to send in the standard mounts and rings for a replacement set. I explained to them that I'd already purchased a set of Mark4 rings and wouldn't be using the standard mounts again. They suggested that it was most likely that a mount for the Mark4 rings would be returned instead of the standard.

Ever see a Leupold standard wear like these?

Turned 180°

I have on two different centerfire rifles, each being a Browning Abolt one in .270 win the other in 30.06, the one on the 06 actually broke the front rings mounting stud the set on the 270 wore just like your picture, if I remember correctly there was alot of movement, it took me 40 rounds or so to finally figure it out

I chartered a plane..... the scope is repaired. I paid for over night shipping..... :wink:

The complete erector system required replacement.

WV Hunter said:
Good to hear Encore :D Keep us posted on how she does.

Did you send back the rings/bases?

Yes sir I did. The rep that called me this morning was trying to get a set of mounts shipped with the scope. I told him the priority was the scope.

Latest posts

Back