New Zeiss Inbound 3-10X44 Conquest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a CO Elk hunt in the works for next Oct. my plan was to move a Leupold onto my 300WSM. I may of been a bit fatigued from work the other morning when I saw the email from Euro-Optics, out of PA. It was a partial impulse purchase.

I'm sure this is 'new - old stock'. They have the Conquest 3-10 X 44 for $399. I do have two of the 3-9's, which have been great. I thought about going with more magnification, but think this will be plenty. I may use it on a 7mm-08 after the Elk trip is over.

I actually have one of the 3-9 Conquests on my Knight Elite, 45 cal. It's been a great scope for those close to midlin+ range shots, very clear.

You will not regret that impulse buy. I have a 3-9x40 Conquest and its a great scope. People say the 3.5-10 is even better. Ill be interested to hear your thoughts since now you can do a side by side compairison.

My scope came, looks great. I will mount it before long then do a side by side comparison with my Leupold VX-3 2.5-8.

I was at Cabelas the other day, looking at the mounted elk on display. This prep is for a CO elk hunt, which I expect to just have a cow tag. The cow elk at Cabelas didn't look much larger than some big deer we've taken in central IL, >200 lbs dressed.

What I'm saying is my 300WSM may be a tad overkill, but I still plan to use it. I have some range rounds loaded but plan a Barnes 165 grain bullet for the final sight-in and hunt. I usually load it at 'upper-mid' levels and call it my 30-06 +P.

I spent a couple of years in Arizona, and also hunted Colorado. Most of the cows I've seen would likely be in the 350-400 pound range, on the hoof.
Of course calves/yearlings are much smaller.

I'll be looking for a big cow, draw results out shortly. Since it's my 1st time I can't be to picky either. I was in the fence about my 284 Winchester, but I think I'll stick with the 300WSM.

I'm also heading to Co. on an Elk & Mullie hunt, 2 yrs. ago my son got a nice Bull with the 7mm-06, his buddy has taken more Elk with the .243 than any other rifle. Me I'm going with the .52 Knight Disc I got from sabotloader with a 3x9x40 VORTEX.

Still on track for the elk hunt, leave Oct 17th. I did another site-in on the home range, maxed out at 75 yards. Before you rip on me, I plan to shoot at longer distances. My ballistic program calls for 1.6" high at 100, for the 200 yard zero.

I settled with the 165 grain Sierra Gameking. I know there are bullets with more fanfare, but I am on a cow hunt and this bullet shoots very well. The scope seems superb, no complaints there.

A buddy mentioned a 'spare gun'? I said with six of us there will be a few spares before long. I don't feel like taking another gun, my simple A-Bolt should hold up fine. They I hear the story of Jim Zumbo sliding down the mountain and breaking his rifle.

I ALWAYS take a spare rifle to the mtns twice Iv fallen and broken scopes and once my uncle fell slid down the hillside took me out and broke my stock at the wrist.

If you have a spare by all means take it, Heck we don't even go to Arkansas snow goose hunting without a extra shotgun for each two guys and it is only a 4 hour drive.
Good Luck on your hunt bag a biggen.

Great Scopes! I had a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 with Rapid Z 800 reticle mounted on a Remington model 700 XCR 7MM Rem Mag. I ended up selling the whole setup to a local kid here wanting to shoot long range. I have went back toward smaller bore 'fun guns' like my 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7MM-08

That Conquest in 3x9 is really nice, I have one mounted on a Ruger 30.06, it was said that the 3.5x10 is better and I tend to agree, I have one mounted on a SAKO 270sm and it has been wonderful to use. Clear, bright, gathers light well and the dial up is smooth and stable. Both of these scopes have seen heavy use and neither has faltered in the slightest. The price you paid was a bargain!
As for your comment about a spare gun. Undoubtedly, others will bring spare guns...for themselves to use if their primary has issues, not necessarily to lend out. If I were in a group and someone I didn't know had an issue with their rifle and couldn't fix it, I'd have to think hard about loaning one of mine. My guns are very special to me and I don't lend them if at all possible, if you have an extra, take it, you won't be sorry.

I've sat out this Fall's CO hunting season. There is talk now about going again next Fall, 2nd rifle Elk again, public land. The lead time is helpful to line up vacation, maybe a cow permit, then grease the skids at home in some fashion.

I had thought about downsizing the rifle but I'll likely just leave the Zeiss on the 300WSM and take the same gun. I have my ammo still and with just a little confirmation the 'zero' should be just about on. The Browning A-Bolt 300WSM isn't to heavy anyway. The next contender would be my 20" barreled 284 Winchester.

Latest posts

Back