Vortex crossfire ii vs Weaver classic v

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have narrowed my scope choice down to Vortex crossfire ii 6-18x44 or Weaver classic v series 6-24x42. anybody have an opinion as to which would be the better choice ?

Both of those are rather high magnification, more towards target, prairie dogging, or 'bean field' use?? What is the intended firearm and use? A muzzle-loader?

Sorry, you may of mentioned it somewhere else.

I have my favorites, but one really doesn't need a $600 scope to bag a deer. A buddy uses a lower cost Simmons and does fine.

I agree in order to give an opinion we need more details
The scopes you are looking at have fairly high magnification.

Like muskrat said I have killed more deer with a hand me down Simmons wide angle than any other scope.

That's way more magnification than you need for a muzzleloader. Trust me. I tried to tell my buddy that when he was looking at a viper 6-18 and he hates it now. Get a 3-12 if you want more magnification. 6x is way too much for up close shots. And he doesn't even use anything above 14x even when target shooting because there's too much shake in the sight picture.

I hate it when posts don't really respond to my question, instead trying to persuade me to do something different. I'm going to do that to you anyway. :twisted:

Without knowing all the facts of your case, you might want to reconsider your two scope choices for two reasons:

1. As noted above, for almost any muzzleloader situation, 18x and 24x is completely unnecessary. 200 yards is a long poke with an ML and even a 4x can make that shot, certainly a meat and potatoes 3-9x is fine. But if you are of the school of thought that more magnification is better even at those ranges. . .

2. I would seriously try to steer you away from "budget" high mag scopes, which is definitely what the Crossfire is (not sure about the Weaver). Lower end scopes really show their limitations at the higher magnifications. Targets become hazy, especially with less than perfect lighting conditions. I once had a 20X spotting scope that could not let me see bullet holes in paper at just 100yds. It was a cheap scope and was basically useless.

The Crossfire will set you back at least $220. You would be far, far better served picking up a Vortex 2-8x32 Diamondback HP for about the same price. Much better glass, much, MUCH better eye relief (VERY important in a ML). Even without the higher magnification, you will be able to see your target better. IMO, for your money, clarity beats magnification every time.

The Weaver Classics are not nearly as nice as the Grand Slams or Super Slams. So with those options i would go with the Vortex but again i would also suggest a Diamondback instead of the Crossfire. The upgrade in quality is worth the additional cost.

I also agree a high magnification cheap scope is gunna leave you less than thrilled and 6x up close has not worked well for me. I had one and it cost me a deer i could have easily shot with a 2x7 or even a 3x9.

I still think the best bang for the buck atm is that Super Slam 2x10x42 i posted on sale at Natchez or the 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest at EuroOptics.

I have that same vortex on a 223 for the money I have been pleased with its performance

I have a couple of those 6-24 (both Weaver and Vortex) I use them for varmint scopes on .223. I have one on a ML just for long range fun. On my home grounds I couldnt hunt with them for deer. WAY overkill. Almost all my shots are bow range, and I probably kill more with bow than gun.

I'm new to muzzleloading but not to optics. I agree with the advice you've already received about magnification. Depending on your use, I would think that the diamondback series from Vortex would be a good match. They are a step above the crossfire and still carry the VIP warranty which is one of the best in the business (fully transferable, lifetime, no fault, no paperwork).

I just purchased my first ML and it will be sporting a 1.75-5 x 32 Vortex DB. The highest magnification scope I have is a 3-9 Vortex Viper sitting on a 30.06. I also have weaver classics on a 22, 77/44, and CZ 527 Carbine. None of those are over 4x. If you carry your gun a lot, you'll appreciate the weight savings of a fixed or lower power magnification without even considering field of view, light, etc.

Good luck with your search!

If not mistaken he is going to put it on a New Remington Ultimate.

I recently bought 3 vortex diamondbacks 3x9x40 with duplex reticles, they are very clear and not a large scope either. quite a deal at 199 each. this scope is made in the phillipines which many decent scopes are made over there by the same company for many scope company's. and then the lower tier scopes they have made in china such as the crossfire etc. not trying to put down the Chinese made scopes I have one too, a hawke that I shot 4 deer with this past season, but you will see a difference in clarity between the china and phillipine made scopes from the same company.

If I recall parts are made overseas but all scopes are assembled here in the USA. I will stop in at Vortex Headquarters on Tuesday and find out for sure. ALSO with the NEW VORTEX PHYCILLITY being built in MT HOERB WI. I think they plan to everything in house. Either way they are ONE HELL OF A SCOPE. :yeah:

Mt Horeb Wi? Been there! they claim the Troll capital of the world. US maybe. I been through Norway, and Sweden, and parts of a few other Scandinavian. (I'm 1/2 Norsk, 1/2 Swede) Trolls to us are like a leprechaun to an Irish.

I personally would not get the Crossfire series, i have no experience with either model you mention, but i can vouch for the diamondback series Vortex being VERY good, a friend of mine bought a Crossfire and had to send it back, the one he received wasn't any better, they ended up upgrading him to a Diamondback, Vortex and their VIP Warranty is top notch! I own a pair of Diamondback 12X50 Binos and they are really good optics for the money

Back