Cheapo muzzleloader scope package

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with the scope mentioned so this is my personal opinion, i believe you get what you pay for (for the most part that is) especially in optics. I would buy a proven brand of scope like a Leupold, even if it means i had to wait and save up for it. The old saying ‘Buy once, Cry once’ Comes to mind here.

Idaholewis said:
I have no experience with the scope mentioned so this is my personal opinion, i believe you get what you pay for (for the most part that is) especially in optics. I would buy a proven brand of scope like a Leupold, even if it means i had to wait and save up for it. The old saying ‘Buy once, Cry once’ Comes to mind here.

While sometimes it is true that better things are more costly, I am constantly reminding myself that demand also drives prices. There is no way that apples iphones are worth the price but the demand is there so people pay the price. Would be very interesting to know the profit margin on those. You can go to ebay or amazon and find the same items at differant prices. If someone can get a higher price for something they will. Now on to my thinking. I only want a muzzleloader to deer hunt a couple or three weeks out of the year and at mostly close ranges. If the scope I mentioned is not just a plain total flop then it will likely serve my purpose for the cheap. While I am such a tight person I squeek when I walk I do on occasion pay dearly for some things. If I do pay dearly for something, I want it to be really worth the price I give. If something cheaper in price will serve the same purpose as something more expensive then I usually will go the cheaper route.Thanks for your input.

Never used that one. In cheap scopes the Bushnell Banners and Simmons Scopes have been good to me. I most recently bought a Redfield 2-7X33 Revolution. Its in a different price range, but I've been very happy with it.

The Simmons 4x32 is the best super cheap scope i ever tried. Mine was a much older one so i dont know if the newer ones hold up as well. The old one was called a ProDiamond. New one is called 8 point. I have no idea if they are similar but IIRC the old one was made in the Philippines.

I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for in optics. We just had a similar discussion at deer camp this last season. In the early 90's I had a Simmons sighted in, went hunting and like magic it was 15 inches too high the very next day. I am very protective of my equipment and the only thing I could think happened was the adjustment finally caught up to itself. My friend has a Bushnell that will not keep center, yet another friend loves his Bushnell (same scope, purchased at the same time). In the 70's when the majority of scopes were made here or Japan, they were simply better made products. Now with the majority of scopes made in some 3rd world toilet the quality is questionable at best. I have owned a Leupold M8 EER for a number of years and it has never given me an ounce of trouble. I'm conservative (more like super tight with my money), so I bought the Leupold used...I would rather have a quality used scope over a new junk scope any day of the week. If money is an issue, put out a request on one of the forums for a good used scope. I paid $100 for my Leupold used, well worth 2X as much as no name brand.

waarp8nt said:
I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for in optics. We just had a similar discussion at deer camp this last season. In the early 90's I had a Simmons sighted in, went hunting and like magic it was 15 inches too high the very next day. I am very protective of my equipment and the only thing I could think happened was the adjustment finally caught up to itself. My friend has a Bushnell that will not keep center, yet another friend loves his Bushnell (same scope, purchased at the same time). In the 70's when the majority of scopes were made here or Japan, they were simply better made products. Now with the majority of scopes made in some 3rd world toilet the quality is questionable at best. I have owned a Leupold M8 EER for a number of years and it has never given me an ounce of trouble. I'm conservative (more like super tight with my money), so I bought the Leupold used...I would rather have a quality used scope over a new junk scope any day of the week. If money is an issue, put out a request on one of the forums for a good used scope. I paid $100 for my Leupold used, well worth 2X as much as no name brand.

War, I was good friends, and shooting partners with an Ole guy on the Wa coast, when he died i would bet anything he stil had the first nickel he ever made. He was single, no dependents, Owned more guns than anyone i know, including MANY sport stores!! The 1 thing he tried REALLY hard to Skimp on was Scopes, He bought in to Simmons and their Warranty, He stopped in to visit 1 day and showed me 2 brand new Simmons scopes, he was proud as PETE of those things! Less than 1 month he had returned both of them due to failure, Simmons Replaced them NO QUESTIONS ASKED, The next ones he recieved lasted about the same as the first 2, Again Simmons Replaced them NO QUESTIONS ASKED, At what point does this become ‘NOT SUCH A GREAT DEAL anymore?’ These Scopes were NOT worth the return shipping cost!! My friend finally gave up on them, The crosshairs would literally rattle apart inside them. I would NEVER trust my Hunt to a POS Garbage Scope, My time in the field is valuable, along with the MANY miles i put on my boots every Hunting season to trust ‘Possibly the shot of a lifetime on a budget brand scope? LOL, Nope not me! I would rather buy a KNOWN High quality Scope 1 Time and be done with it! And eat Mac N Cheese the rest of that month if i had to, But that’s just me and my mentality

+2 on what they said. Times have changed.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Any optic, no matter the brand can fail. I use to be really big in buy/sell/trade, Over the years i have owned more Leupold Scopes than i could EVER begin to remember, Every rifle i owned had to have a Leupold Scope on it, if it didn’t come with one in the trade i would buy a brand new one for it, To say i have owned 30-40 Leupold Scopes over the years would be a generous fair number, In all of the Leupolds i have owned i had 1 brand new one fail out of the box, i mounted the scope and as luck would have it the thing was really close to zero, my first shot at 100 yards was about 10” high, my second shot was right in the bull, my 3rd shot was about 10-12 lower, 4th shot that much lower than the last? Each shot was dropping farther and farther in a perfect vertical line, I literally walked off a 3-4 ft box target. Leupold gave me a brand new scope no questions.
I have also had a Zeiss Fail, it was a Conquest I believe? It had the Rapid Z 600 reticle, I fell in love with that scope! I Was out shooting 600 yards (Max range) with it, breaking 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water, showing it off to a good friend, after we were done shooting my friend was looking through the Zeiss, he noticed an odd chip/flake? I thought it was something on the outside of the glass? Nope, it was definitely internal. I took the scope back to the Gun shop (Kesselring Gun shop) where i had bought it from, i knew those guys well back in them days, guy behind the counter grabbed the scope by the eye piece end and gave it a REALLY HARD WACK on the Bell (objective) end on the old hardwood counter top :shock: I knew for fact I didn’t want it back after that LOL!! He looked through it, smiled and said now look in there, i looked through the scope and it had them little flakes ALL OVER inside it!? The guy told me they had seen a handful of them scopes come back with that same problem. The internal finish was flaking? Zeiss was aware of the problem and warrantied the Scope with a new version (i ended up getting a 4.5-14X44 with Rapid Z800 Reticle) Come to find out there was a small run of them scopes that the Anodized finish or whatever internally had failed to bond and was flaking apart inside.

Yep, any brand of scope can fail. After buying lots of Leupold scopes , i got a defective scope from the Leupold factory. The replacement was also defective. No more Leupold optics for me.

Nikon glass is as good as it gets, if you ask me, and it's much more affordable than some. More expensive than others, but well worth the difference. I bought Leupold when I got a rifle that kicked hard enough to warrant more eye relief than Nikon scopes offered at the time. (I haven't shopped and compared for a while.) IMO, Nikon and Leupold are equally good scopes. I was willing to spend more on a fancy European scope, if there was a difference, but I couldn't see it. But, no way would I trust my hunt to a lesser brand.

I have a old cheap tasco scope on a 30-06 of mine and all these years it has held true and killed five or six nice bucks with it. I do not ever recall missing a deer with this scope. I do not remember what I paid for it but it could not have been much being a tasco and mail order years ago. Probably 30 years ago or so.

Well a year later and before hunting season I finally bought a scope for my cva magbolt. I bought a cva muzzleloader scope kit from academy. It cost 69 but a manager gave me 10.00 dollars off so it was 59 and tax. It had everything in it. Scope, mounts, screws and tool to mount it. Direct bolt up and it adjusted to a crystal clear field of view and has nice eye relief. I am very pleased with it so far. Have not took to range yet to zero in so we shall see about that part later. It also has a limited lifetime warranty. It is about the same thing and comes packaged the same as the traditions brand scope kit and about priced the same as well.

Okie Hog said:
Yep, any brand of scope can fail. After buying lots of Leupold scopes , i got a defective scope from the Leupold factory. The replacement was also defective. No more Leupold optics for me.

That is EXTREMELY odd to have 2 Leupolds in a Row Fail, If i were you I would FEAR a lightning storm!

I have them all Leupold, Vortex , Redfield, Bushnell. Redfield blew up on me last year when I shot a doe in -10 weather. To me the Leupold and Vortex are close. Bushnell has been awesome but not the best glass. I just bought a new Bushnell Trophy Extreme 30mm and let me tell you this thing is every bit as good as my Vortex Viper and $200 cheaper. Can't wait to hunt with it .

A friend gave me a new in the box Konus Pro 3-9x50IR scope, so I put it on my Apex 45-70 and shot approx. 200 shots before converting the Apex to SML. It is still wearing the Konus scope and has shot a few hundred more shots with no issues. Maybe not the best glass but it has outlasted the Leupold,Nikon,Burris and Swift scopes I used. Not putting down the others as all warranties were honored,but seems like scope failure happens to me right before I'm ready to go on a hunt. For a low budget scope, I would buy one of them before using a couple of the others.

When I bought my Traditions Yukon it came with the scope the op is looking at. It is cheap but it still works..I’ve put a Leupold VX on since....boy what a difference...Nikon,Vortex are nice scopes to..I was just looking at the Redfield line today..I think Leupold still makes these.

Back