Is Nikon Inline XR's poor FOV a real problem?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbrewer

Reaction score
I am looking for scope for my T/C Strike ML and I'm considering the Nikon Inline XR 3-9×40mm. I'm concerned about it's poor FOV. At 100 yds it is 8.4' (high) and 25.2' (Low). 8.4' doesn't seem large enough, but I doubt that I'd use the scope at 9 magnification to sight a deer at 100 yds.

I've read a few good reviews but the poor FOV is rarely mentioned.

Is this an issue?

IMO, it depends. My hunting is most often in thick woods, where I sometimes need to get on target quick with a moving target. A small FOV could be a challenge, particularly if I forget to keep the magnification low. It's less of a problem if most of your shooting is into a corn field. It seems FOV and eye relief are inversely related so the 5" you get with the XR is what results in the less than stellar FOV.

If you can live with 4.6" of eye relief, the Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 has a FOV of 12.2'-41.9' /100 yards, but they are getting hard to find.

Edit - Just to add, I have taken the vast majority of my deer in the woods with a Simmons 4x32 ProDiamod Shotgun Scope, about $60. Eye relief is 4". FOV is 21' @ 100yds (fixed scope) but my shots are usually within 50yds and I have had little problem getting on sight with a moving (walking) target.

I agree the Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8x32 is a great scope and yes I'd buy it. Do you know where I can find it? Vortex stopped making it.

I too often hunt in thick woods and I share your concerns about the Inline XR's "shallow" FOV, but I do like the 5" eye relief. I was hoping that I'd hear from people that actually use the scope to see if this is actually a concern.

Here is my issue, early last December I placed an order for a Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7×33 (on sale for $230), but the company ran out of stock. They told me they'd have more in mid December, then it was late December and now they are saying mist January shipment. Every time I call, they try to get me to take a cheaper scope.... bait and switch. So I called Leupold and was told that they are no longer selling the VX-1, VX-2 or Ultimate Slam lines. Now I know why so many stores are out of stock, They will be replacing them with new line some time in the next few months. So I doubt that I'll be getting a Leopold from this company anytime soon so I'm going to cancel my order and buy from a different vendor and possibly buy something else.

So I'm looking for a decent 2-7 or 3-9 (or close) scope with a minimum 4" eye relief that has a ballistic reticle in case I do hunt in an area where I can take longer shots. So if you or anyone else was a suggestion I'd love to hear it.

Thanks

Bob

Take a look at Sightron. They make some nice scopes. You might find what you like. If both FOV and eye relief are an issue you might need the right one piece mount from DNZ. I have a Sightron on my Optima and it works great. Very clear.

the xr Nikon is a wonderful scope, I bought one just before deer season and liked it so much that I bought another one for the slug gun. I like the reticle a lot more than I thought I would and the clarity and contrast especially in a dim lighting is super. yes the xr has a narrow field of view but the eye relief makes it worth buying anyway. the gun is so much more comfortable to shoot when I don't have to inch my way up closer to the scope. I have 3 vortex diamondbacks in 3x9x40 that I think a lot of, but I have already replaced 2 of them with the xr Nikons. the clarity on the xr and the diamondbacks are the same to me but it is easier to see things with the Nikon xr when it gets dusky, I think it is the coatings on the lenses. now I hunt fields only because my legs are disabled, but I would use it in the woods also but turned down to a lower power.

Latest posts

Back