Shim a scope mount?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtfarmer

Reaction score
I need some advice here. I can only use open sights to hunt muzzle loader season here in North Idaho but I want to use a scope to test 5 or more different bullets, weighing 295 grains to 405 grains with powder charges from 90 grains to 150 grains. I've installed an EABCO PeepRib scope mount onto my CVA Optima NW 50 cal muzzle loader. Right off the bat, with the Hornady 385 grain conical, with 100 gr of Pyrodex, the gun shoots too low and the 14 inches of scope adjustment at 100 yards is not enough to get onto the target. I know that for a rear sight you adjust it the direction you want the bullet impact to move. I don't think that taller scope rings will do anything about this issue. How do you shim a scope mount to bring the center up like 7 -8 inches? Do you raise the back, or do you raise the front of the scope base?

Try taking it apart, and swapping the rings end for end. I had a similar problem a while back, and it was the rings being not uniform. I ended up with a better set of rings. but the swap worked for a while.

Be careful shimming, There is a lot of recoil with these guns. Shimming means less contact with the base and action putting pressure on the screws due to possible movement under recoil. I would recommend bedding the mount and lapping the rings to start. If you get a lapping kit you can tell strait away if the rings are aligned as the kit contains two bars that come together in a point. Other than that get a base with MOA built into it which probably does not help as you need the rear site.

ronlaughlin said:
Raise the back. Better yet get Burris Signature rings, and raise the scope in the back ring, and lower it in the front ring.

Right here what Ron Said! I just put Burris Signature rings on my 6.5 Creedmoor, I REALLY like the inserts!

Back