Federal 209A

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
Being that CCI 209M primers have become like the mythical unicorn I ended up buying 1000 Federal 209A's. Will I notice any appreciable difference between the two primers? I am using this in an Encore with BH209 powder. Thanks in advance for the advice...

Main difference is the Fed209A is ever so slightly longer and slightly less powerful but not enough to matter. Ive seen one person claim they leave more fouling in the breach plug but ive never seen it in my MLs.

Those two primers have been very similar in my MLs.

Should work fine, the only ones that may cause a problem in TC muzzleloaders are Winchester 209s, they average on the longer side and sometimes get stuck (tried the W209s in the Triumph a few weeks back and were a no go, got stuck after the shot, work well for preventing blowback in others like my Apex).

I've used Winchester WW 209 primers since 1975, have never had any type of problem with my shotguns. When I got my T/C Encore Pro Hunter I have used only WW 209 primers and BH 209 powder and have never had any problem with FTF, hang fires, or miss fires or primers sticking after being fired. I have heard earlier complaints of the WW 209 sticking in the T/C and Not being able to close to battery when using WW 209 primers maybe not even able to cock the hammer, if it did close to battery, but as stated I have never had a problem with them.

GM54-120 said:
Main difference is the Fed209A is ever so slightly longer and slightly less powerful but not enough to matter. Ive seen one person claim they leave more fouling in the breach plug but ive never seen it in my MLs.

I agree. A shooter I know who was using the CCI209M primers ran out of them, but found the Federal 209A. He reported that his group sizes never changed, however his POI was about 2" lower using the Federals.

ENCORE50A said:
GM54-120 said:

I agree. A shooter I know who was using the CCI209M primers ran out of them, but found the Federal 209A. He reported that his group sizes never changed, however his POI was about 2" lower using the Federals.

See I find that somewhat odd... I have done this test several times and have never been able to prove that the primer has a great deal to do with the velocity achieved.

Looking at this target or any of the other ones I have you can see the different velocities with the different primers. And I would always expect a slight difference just because of the fact the charges were thrown charges not weighed.

Even then look at the velocities read when using the Remington 209-4 primer - the coolest primer of the bunch. Even the T7 primer ran right along with the crowd.

I should also mention these shots were taken one right after another and accuracy was not the biggest concern getting it through the chrono was.

Back