changing from saboted flat nose pistol bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

Reaction score
I have decided to start shooting a pointed bullet in my 50 cal knight disc extreme using loose 777. Any suggestions on what will shoot good and load easy in this rifle? Thanks for your help in the past,present, and future. jp I am currently using 45 cal pistol bullets and MMP sabots and they shoot very accurate just want a better bullet for deer.

May I ask which pistol bullet you're currently shooting? Often, a move to a pointy bullet is a step backward in terminal performance.

Good pointy bullets in my book would include:

Scorpion PT 300's
Barnes 290's
Bonded or blue tipped SST's in either the 250 or 300s

All the above with about 100 grains of powder.

I will be hunting with the exact gun this year and have elected to hunt with the Nosler 300 partition. A flat / hollow nosed pistol bullet by the way.

I like Barnes bullets. My load this year, Barnes 250gr TEZ flat base bullet with Harvester smooth black sabot for 300gr bullets or less.
250tezandhsb_zps9296ca3b.jpg

My rifles seem to like the Harvester sabots better than the MMPs.

I am shooting 250 gr hornady hp xtp 100 gr loose 777 knight 50 cal disc extreme.

deerjackie said:
I am shooting 250 gr hornady hp xtp 100 gr loose 777 knight 50 cal disc extreme.

Some will tell you that is the number one ML hunting in the states. It seems to be by a ton of people. I tried but I have never been able to trust them. To often I have stripped the lead out of the copper, finding the copper just inside the skin and lead across the body.

In a ML shooting to 200 yards I really have never seen the need for pointy bullets, sure they have a better BC but inside 200 yards I do not perceive a lot of difference. I really do prefer the bullet with a larger frontal mass, especially at ML speeds.

So in the end I end up shooting big solid hollow points like these.

As a meat hunter I am a little afraid of some of the "defense"bullets out there. What kind of damage do they do ?

In a ML shooting to 200 yards I really have never seen the need for pointy bullets, sure they have a better BC but inside 200 yards I do not perceive a lot of difference. I really do prefer the bullet with a larger frontal mass, especially at ML speeds.

I share this view myself. I like the larger meplat for a ML hunting bullet.

As for "Defense", in this case Lehigh Defense is the name of the company that builds those bullets and some of the ignition parts for the new Knight. Those bullets he shows are designed for Hunting and not Personal Defense. They do work differently that the normal expanding bullet like the XTP. When the hollow point opens the end of the bullet, there are segments that break off and go in different directions inside the body cavity creating more terminal damage. The base of the bullet continues on its way to exit the off side.

I know that at the moment they are hard to get but another preferred "Pistol" bullet is the Speer Deep Curls. There have been some Nosler Partitions in 300 grain out there too.

As with most opinions you will find that some want the best possible bullet for everything and some tend to use as good a bullet as is required for the type train and terminal ballistics needed.
I have taken a lot of deer some in the corn fields at long range some at close range and I do not find that it is difficult to kill a deer but when you need to be able to shoot long distance dependable accuracy is a must. I get my best accuracy with a Shock Wave or SST and because they are hit in the right place I get a lot of on the spot kills. If you can get 110 or 120 grains of Blackhorn a sabot that fits your gun and temperature range and getting minute of angle accuracy the 200yds is not hard.

deerjackie said:
...currently using 45 cal pistol bullets and MMP sabots and they shoot very accurate just want a better bullet for deer.
It very well may be, there are no better bullet, unless you are wanting to shoot deer at over 200 yard.

I like Barnes bullets. My load this year, Barnes 250gr TEZ flat base bullet with Harvester smooth black sabot for 300gr bullets or less.

My gun likes these in 290 grain, but MMP sabots. That being said, I don't suspect i'll ever need to shoot over 200 and prefer 300 gr. Deep Curls due to performance and cost.

Latest posts

Back