Plunger guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ep427

Reaction score
Who still hunts with a plunger gun and why? I have a break action of good name brand and it has got sloppy loose at the pivot pin. This gun is only 2 years old and has been shot less than 20 times. Still shoots very good but feels cheap and drives me crazy. Been thinking of going back to a plunger style gun. Post pics of your guns if you got them. Thanks

I love my MK85's :D Rock solid, reliable, and extremely accurate.

In our hunting club, of the folks that ML hunt regularly...myself, my son, my dad, my brother in law, my cousin, his son, and my buddy's son... all use Knight plunger model guns. Mostly MK's, a couple LK's, and one Bighorn. One guy uses an Apex, one guy a Triumph, and one a Disc.

I have three White rifles that are plunger guns and I think they are the best rifles made. I would find a rifle hard pressed to shoot as well as them. I also have a T/C Black Diamond XR and with the right sabot and powder, I was shooting paper plates at 150 yards off shooting sticks one afternoon with little problem. Again, a plunger gun and a good shooter. Last but not least in the arsenal, I have three Knight LK rifles. All plunger guns. All top notch shooters. Plunger guns are easy to clean other then the fouling. Easy to come apart. And easy to figure out what is wrong with them when something comes a miss. I personally like them. I also have break opens and I like them as well. But plunger guns were the original inline and they still shoot as well today and they did when they came out.

Traditions BuckHunter 50 cal. that my wife bought me for Christmas, my first muzzleloader. Still shoots great :yeah:

CopyofBuckHunter_zps0558742e.jpg

Love my two plunger guns!! Both awesome shooters.

One like BDH's gun above but re-barreled to .45 cal

Buckhunternewbarrel003.jpg

My White Super 91 .451

db796dbd-bd4f-448c-98b7-7b50235b7e81_zpsf2387d7d.jpg

ep427 I have a T/C Black Diamond that I would part with. SS/camo in great shape

I have a few

A White, a Ft. Worth Arms ( like a White ) and a MK. They are nice but the cleaning is an extra hassle. Doesn't mean I don't love them, they just take a little longer to clean up.

I only have one side hammer caplock (Renegade) the rest are plunger guns (Whites). The reason, they are deadly, very accurate an IMO very easy to cleanup compaired to break action guns. The whites that is...the TC's are another animal to clean.

I have a MK 85 and I loved them since I first saw them back in the 1980's. I ended up getting a BK 92 but I always wanted a MK 85. After years of searching on and off I found one on this site. I think it was JStanley that hooked me up. I call it the beast from the east. It never fails to shoot and is always accurate. I wish I could find a finer front sight but in all it is a great rifle. I shoot paper patched Lee 500 S&W bullets. They lay the law down on game. Here are a couple of pictures of the beast from the east and a 100 yard group.

Cow4_zpsb1a1b180.jpg

Ontherange2_zps49421d61.jpg

Ontherange3_zps954683f7.jpg

I have 4 Knight plunger guns. 2 lk-93s, an mk-85 in .54, and an mk-95. A simple tried and true design in most any brand I think. All of them are more than enough accurate and have taken many deer to date. I will be using the .54 MK-85 for my late season doe tag...it's a lot of fun to shoot!

I have a White lightning and love it, wish i would have jumped on the White bandwagon years ago. It's getting the call for our late season. Sadly my old faithful Omega gets to ride the bench this year. Not enough tags to bring them all out to play.

2 whites. My ML collection is ever growing, so they havent been hunting in a few years, But they get a range day at least every year. (If I have to clean them, might as well get them dirty first and enjoy it).

My old plunger .451 White Super 91 put a fat 8 point in the freezer yesterday, got him Sunday evening. Who needs a break action... :lol: :lol:

Simple, reliable and legal everywhere inlines are( if lit with caps instead of 209's). Silly simple to use and maintain. Bedding very similar to modern rifles( easily tuned) and , generally full length rammers( not a little thing). I currently have 2. My Black Diamond XR .50 and a new Knight MK85. My daughter shoots ( quite effectively) my first inline, a Traditions Tracker. If I had no other rifle than my plunger inlines, especially my Black Diamond, I would be a very happy hunter and not feel handicapped in the least.

My son has claimed my LK-93 for himself but I still manage to sneak it out of the house once in awhile. I love that little gun, it was my first inline.

Still use a .50 cal MK85 Knight Hawk and a .45 cal Wolverine 209. They are light, accurate and very reliable.

I still use the LK-93 I bought when I turned 18. We have killed a lot of deer together. I've entertained the thought of a new muzzleloader, but have a hard time replacing something that works. I would love to find a stainless MK-85 in my price range.

I was the same way. I looked for a long time before I was given the opportunity to adopt this one and give it a forever home. :yeah:

I have a MK85 .50 walnut blued; a BK92 .50; and a stainless MK85 .54. I used the 54 to take nice buck three days ago.

I love the plunger models. They carry and handle well.

Would you mind saying what brand of break action. I have 3 break actions and the Triumph dates back a number of years it must have close to a 1000 shots through it and is still tight the endeavor has about half that and is very tight the 45 Encore with a Bergara barrel has only a hundred or 150 through it so far so good. If it is an Encore there is an easy fix as they are change barrel guns and you can get a bigger pivot pin and very many do.

Back