remington 700 ultimate anyone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nevermind that, buy em up. if theres problems, that just means a lot of unhappy owners will want to unload their junk, then I will have a smorgasbord of actions and parts from which to build up some great guns....cheap probobly too :D

ENCORE50A said:
Until Remington gets the barrel problems corrected, I'd hold off on purchasing one.

Another new owner with a rifle which land/grove is out of spec by .011" just popped up yesterday.

That something other than the x-ring rifle on MS?

According to him, Remington is supposed to have a bore diameter of .5015" and a groove diameter of .5095". He said his slugged out to a .501" bore, and .514" at the grooves. Instead of the groove diameter being 0.008" over the bore, with 0.004" deep individual grooves, it is 0.013" over the bore, with 0.0065" deep individual grooves.

Busta said:
ENCORE50A said:
Until Remington gets the barrel problems corrected, I'd hold off on purchasing one.

Another new owner with a rifle which land/grove is out of spec by .011" just popped up yesterday.

That something other than the x-ring rifle on MS?

According to him, Remington is supposed to have a bore diameter of .5015" and a groove diameter of .5095". He said his slugged out to a .501" bore, and .514" at the grooves. Instead of the groove diameter being 0.008" over the bore, with 0.004" deep individual grooves, it is 0.013" over the bore, with 0.0065" deep individual grooves.

That's it. Thanks for clarification on x-ring's rifle.

Dukkilr said:
Well it wasn't the scope put it back on my T/C omega and it shot fine at 120 yards
ioo_zps003347af.jpg

The gun is going back into Remington this week, wish that they would just give me my money back :x
Great grouping with the TC :yeah:

sg.ellis2 said:
ENCORE50A said:
sg.ellis2 said:
Have friend who is shooting two models of the custom Johnston rifle, who purchased one of these production Remington versions.............. . He further touted the improvement in the Remington version of the breech plug, said he has needed to send his Johnston back more than once for a fix.............

What was the actual reason your friend sent his rifle back relating to the breech plug?

I know Ken very well and seldom does he have to replace breech plugs. However since owners started shooting BH through a rifle designed to shoot pellets, he's getting more returned, all from shooting BH through them. He just replaced a breech plug that had over 10,000 rounds through it, but shooting pellets only.

He was shooting Blackhorn 209 and ran into issues. Sounds like you guys are on the same page, with exception being, he continues to shoot Blackhorn out of the Remington. But, if that ends up becoming an issue, then at some point we'll know. At this point, I'm leaning toward it not being an issue. Though I'd expect someone could run the gun too many times unsealed and goof up the plug. But, I'm not seeing a change of the Remington breech plug as being a major headspace ordeal, just a plug and play. Time will tell.

But between me, you and the fence post, I'm a fan of both guns, just that the Johnston version is too spendy for my wants. The Rem version gets me into the door. Hope in the long run, the whole "Ultimate" gig works out for both the production line gun, as well as the custom gun.

Later :)

I created a service ticket with their service department to answer my questions reference the breech plug. I wanted to prove or disprove, that their breech plugs were of close tolerance, so that spares could be purchased and installed by the end user, without concerns for change in headspace. I also wanted to confirm the 700 with breech plug was same as the 700 chambered for center-fire cartridges, to be dry fired routinely without damage. They promised to get back to me quickly with an official response.

Remington replied, they were very helpful.

Dry Firing: Unlike the 700 chambered for a center-fire rifle cartridge, they do not recommend dry firing this model as a matter of practice, because of the breech plug in the path of the pin. Simple enough, I'll quickly make up a handful of snap caps out of decapped ignition cases. That way, I can get in a fair amount of dry firing trigger time. In addition, I'll make the case heads safety orange and they'll double as seals for the chamber to prevent any moisture from sucking through the fire channel during periods of making the rifle safe when afield hunting, as the channel is fairly large on the Rem version.

Breech Plug: Yes, they are CNC of close tolerance and can be interchanged without any headspace issues, provided they are seated and torqued to 100-in/lbs. It is an end user operation that does not require any trip back to the factory. So you can purchase and keep spare breech plugs on hand to replace at your whim and fancy. Remington gave me the part # and a 1(800) number to call M-F 9a-5p EST to purchase spare plugs. Full retail, they are $46.55 each. So, I'll start off by recapping the factory ignition cases around two or three times and set them aside while working up loads. After I'm done working up loads, I'll take those used ignition cases and sacrifice a couple breech plugs by running a lot of these recapped ignition cases until I can establish an average for when they begin to fail at the seal and leak. Whatever that number of times recapped works out to be, say five, six, seven, or even more times, I'll just back off a couple times from that point and use that as a benchmark for case life. If at any time I begin to see the breech plug degrade from this point, I'll just take the few minutes to swap it out with a new one. Seems very easy peasy to me.

As an added measure of insurance, even though they call for the fire channel to self clean for its normal installed service life, I grabbed a few extended torch nozzle tip cleaner picks. Only cost a couple buck and have on hand the correct size, and the next couple sizes smaller. So at this point, the entire system should be about as simple, user friendly, and low maintenance as it comes, to operate trouble free over a long period of time.

I'll post updates when available. Will be developing loads next month.

later :)

Is there any way these brass cases can be annealed and resized back down using a sizing die? Where is the point if failure?

dantiff2 said:
Is there any way these brass cases can be annealed and resized back down using a sizing die? Where is the point if failure?

The brass actually never fails and can be used in a pistol or rifle with no problems. What fails, is when you close the bolt on the brass, the inside of the brass is seated against the BP nipple. This seating compresses the inside of the brass, which does not spring back. After a number of primes, the inside is collapsed enough that it allows gas to escape. This is when the nipple can be gas cut.

hello I'm new to the forum but I recently purchased the Remington 700 ultimate, I had poor accuracy with mine initially, I was shooting 300 gr hornady sst's and it was a 4" gun at 100 yds, I switched to 250's and changed the sabots to TC super glides and its a 1.5" gun at 100 and a 4" gun at 300yds. I was shooting some loads over the chrony tonight and my best accuracy was at about 2200fps. I am really happy with this gun, the breach does stay completely clean, no misfires or hangfires at all even with blackhorn, I've shot up to 140gr by volume of blackhorn and it shot pretty good. I'm not a real big ML guy but this is the only inline I've owned that I have liked, had a Knight disc bighorn, hated it, still have a 45 disc extreme that I don't care for, and I have 2 lyman great plain 1 in 60 twist sidelocks that I love, they both shoot better than my knights, and load faster and easier, and are easier to clean than my knight. But this 700 is probably going to replace my lyman as my favorite ML. It shoots good, loads easy and cleans easy. I also had fairly loose action screws on the gun when it was new, tightening them down helped a lot with my accuracy too, I will probably bed the recoil lug on the action after hunting season too, and the contact between the lug and bedding block seems as it could use some improvement.

bigiron007 said:
hello I'm new to the forum but I recently purchased the Remington 700 ultimate, I had poor accuracy with mine initially, I was shooting 300 gr hornady sst's and it was a 4" gun at 100 yds, I switched to 250's and changed the sabots to TC super glides and its a 1.5" gun at 100 and a 4" gun at 300yds. I was shooting some loads over the chrony tonight and my best accuracy was at about 2200fps. I am really happy with this gun, the breach does stay completely clean, no misfires or hangfires at all even with blackhorn, I've shot up to 140gr by volume of blackhorn and it shot pretty good. I'm not a real big ML guy but this is the only inline I've owned that I have liked, had a Knight disc bighorn, hated it, still have a 45 disc extreme that I don't care for, and I have 2 lyman great plain 1 in 60 twist sidelocks that I love, they both shoot better than my knights, and load faster and easier, and are easier to clean than my knight. But this 700 is probably going to replace my lyman as my favorite ML. It shoots good, loads easy and cleans easy. I also had fairly loose action screws on the gun when it was new, tightening them down helped a lot with my accuracy too, I will probably bed the recoil lug on the action after hunting season too, and the contact between the lug and bedding block seems as it could use some improvement.

Great! Finally a good report.

After the first of the year if you don't mind, I would like to pm you my phone number, as I have a new owner who is dropping one off for me to develop a load for. He works 6 and 7 days a week and would like help to get his rifle going and asked, as he knows I shoot a BP Xpress. I'd like to compare notes if possible.

A question about the new Remington appeared on another forum that I am a part of and this was one of the replies by:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthre ... post292214

Iceman5656

I have 2 of the Remington Ultimate Muzzloaders I have the Bell and Carson stock and the laminated wood stock. both shoot extremely accurate I use loose powder blackhorn 209 160 grains by volume! 300 grain parker ballistic extreme bullets and I shoit sub moa groups at 200 yards!!! I have shot both of them out to 500 yards and I don't have any problems it holds a perfect 4 inch groups at 500!!!! Took a while to get the load it liked. I paid 750 dollars for each remington 700 ultimate. I did not get great groups with 4 t7's the gun shoots so much better with black horn 209. I will be shooting them this spring with more loads to see what bullet will come close to the Parker bullets. I also am using the night force g7 on the bell and Carson model and I use the Johnston ultimate muzzloader scope on the other one witch is a leupold vx6 custom turret and they shoot alost identically!!!!

Pulled my gear together for load development starting next week. Fabricated a few items, and have all my components lined up.

Couple notes:

1. Performed an LTI on the rifle, and found a couple glaring details worth mentioning. The barreled action was assembled with the action screws loose, less than 20-in/lbs. Mine is the laminated stock, and though the inlet fit is fairly good, it is not a positive fit against the recoil mortise with the action screws out of torque. I would expect anyone worth their salt to check such things prior to shooting, but I can imagine some out there who may expect to pull guns straight out the box and go shooting. Mine would definitely suffer in accuracy if the action screws were neglected. I would highly recommend a good LTI, and do not neglect such details. Side note on the laminated stock, she is heavy, 46-ounces including the pad, studs, and rod retainer. Ample material to put the stock on a diet, can be made into a wonderful sporter with nice checkering, if you have the skill and tools. But, I am liking the stock pattern as it is shaped, like it alot. May try the McMillan version of this stock, would keep the same profile but knock off near a pound in weight.

2. Not seeing too many getting great results shooting T7 in this rifle using the upper Rem UM only loads. On the other hand, Blackhorn 209 is reaching those upper velocities with accuracy in spades in quite a number of rifles. I think most are running in the 130 - 150 volume range, but a couple, including Bob Parker, have pioneered using these 160 grain volume loads, with Bob's bullets, and are seeing some fairly spectacular accuracy from these production Remington rifles. I personally will be satisfied with loads closer to 130 grains volume, but I would not expect to see the same level of performance as a rule if using T7.

B.T.W., I'll start out at 45-in/lbs and see if this holds torque without binding the action.

later :)

I'll be getting a chance to play with one myself. One of the guys bought one and needed someone to set it up, as he works 6-7 days a week (a good problem to have) and asked. Of course I agreed.

The rifle and a ton of components will be here tomorrow afternoon, as he'll be dropping it off while in the area. His scope didn't arrive in time, so he'll mail the scope, mounts and rings when they arrive. He ordered the VX3, 4.5-14, single piece base and standard rings. I believe he said his final cost for the scope was about $30 using his Cabela's points :lol:

Knowing of another RU owner who as already experienced case gas leaking at the third re-prime, shooting BP (Swiss), we discussed that issue and agreed that his brass would only be primed once, after the initial supplied primed brass. He is bringing ample brass. First up, tear it down, clean it and check all the torque when putting it back together.

This will be fun.......... :yeah:

Got a chance to put the remington ultimate to work tonight

Attachments

• 1471400_10200125975467401_478228081441391581_n (2).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,609
Wow what a Pig! :shock: Congrads on the Big Buck! :applause: Where were you hunting?

Iowa late muzzle season, last day with a Remington 700 ultimate with a 250 gr sst 225 yds . Shot him from the middle of a picked corn field bellied down in the snow. 13 pts 157" and he lost about 4" from a broken split g3.

Back