Powerbelts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Stankovitz

Reaction score
I've got a lot of 275 45 caliber powerbelts and want to know if anyone shots them out of there inlines with blackhorn 209 and if the shoot good and what load there shooting them for the best accuracy at 100 yards and beyond.

I am sure you might be able to get them to fly. But in my honest opinion there are much better bullets out there for a .45. I would shoot full bore conicals before I would shoot powerbelts. Again just my honest opinion. Blackhorn needs a tight seal. There are aome that say you should not shoot conicals with BH for this reason. I can say I have successfully shot BH with fullbore conicals out of my 1:30 knight 45. Kinda off topic, but back to my original anwer there are just better bullets out there to shoot. Welocme to the forum!

I have 3 45s just wanted to use them in one of my older optimas. I've got like 60 of them. I shot or golds out of one knurled up and shot 200 grain shock waves out of my acurra. Wanted to use them up so was wondering if anyone had a load they used for them.

Dennis
Here is a post from another messageboard, describing a loose-fit Powerbelt bullet, in conjunction with Blackhorn, which in most-all cases, desires a tight-fitting bullet.

Re: Sabot vs Powerbelt
by specialpatrolgroup » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:37 pm

So just an update, before last season I purchased some powerbelts and went out to the range to figure out a load. I loaded 90gr of blackhorn in my new Accura V2, and a green .50 cal 245gr powerbelt, put in my primer, bring the gun up, pull the hammer back, pull the trigger, and pffffft, a little smoke comes out. after I let it sit for a while before investigating, I tip the gun upside down and a bunch of unburnt powder falls out, no sign of my power belt anywhere, I spent a good amount of time looking for it on the ground, but it disapeared. So I clean all the unburnt powder out of the gun, then reload, the next time I pull the trigger the same thing happens, except this time in the barrel is the green plastic skirt, but no bullet, and a bunch of unburnt powder. I spend 15-20 minutes looking around the ground for the bullet, but its no where to be found, I have no clue where my bullets are going, but something isnt right so I pack up head to the store to pick up some saboted XTP's. I never was able to make it out last season but as soon as some of this snow goes away Ill be back out there.

I had the exact same issue when loading a very loose sabot/bullet (Buffao SSB). Now I demand of myself some grunt work while loading the bullets down my bore using Blackhorn. Also, when I seat the bullet, I make sure the tail is embedded in the powder.
That 's when I have the most success and best accuracy using Blackhorn.

Another option with your Powerbelts is to buy some yellow cornmeal and load 40+ grains between the powder and bullet. That will keep the ignition gas from escaping up the sides of the bore wall and robbing you of fps/horsepower..

That piece dated January 31, 2011 was before the CVA "Blackhorn" 209 breech plug. Using the OEM CVA breech plug even with tight fitting bullets back then did not guarantee a good outcome. Some opened up their flash holes to 0.035" or a little more to get enough "fire in the hole". Some drilled out the 3mm flame channel to 5/32 ' and tapped it for a vent liner, which is the best method. But yes, a PowerBelt and a non-compatible breech plug would not be a good combination. However, the Western Powders Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug, and the CVA branded "BLACKHORN" breech plug should have no problem launching those PowerBelts.

Western Powders handed CVA the Blackhorn 209 breech plug design and sample plug. Wished them well in reproducing it. CVA is in bed with Hodgdon/IMR for their White Hots, so their OEM Breech Plug was designed completely with pellets in mind. I think at first there was some reluctance, but customer demand for a Blackhorn 209/Loose Powder Breech Plug eventually won the day.

Dennis,

What other Brands of .45's do you have, and types of breech plugs besides the older Optima? What primer? The breech plug design will dictate whether or not thee will work in your rifles. Your best bet is to get ahold of Ron Laughlin right here on this board, and see if he is currently modifying the older CVA breech plugs for installing a vent liner. This will insure you the best results possible shooting Blackhorn 209 in the older CVA's.

Good luck!

Ive shot the 45cal 300gr PB Plats in two different MLs. One was a Knight 45cal with a Lehigh plug. The other was a Accura V1 45cal with a plug modified by Ron. (Pre QRBP). Ignition was flawless and deadly accurate with 90-100gr of BH209.

These bullets loaded with 2 finger pressure on a t-handle ramrod/range rod. The 4 shots in the red were the group after scope adjustments. Each shot was by a different shooter with the Accura 45 V1. Distance was just over 90 yards IIRC according to a range finder.

45-300gPBPlatShootput.jpg

I felt the bullet was a bit fragile but accuracy was outstanding.

Latest posts

Back