Please Help me choose between these two rifles

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked out the Knight line up and don't really see anything that jumps out at me. They appear to be about as easy to clean as my Black Diamond, although I'm sure they have much better triggers. Nobody seems to like that Traditions striker fired which is unfortunate...I was really hoping it was a great rifle. Not sure where to look next. I hate TC now that they've been bought by S&W but maybe I take another look at and Encore? I was a good trigger and easy cleaning.

Shoot if you are going to break the bank on a rifle look at the new Copper ML. They are about the highest quality you can get in a ML

deer4_zps19fb4aca.jpg

attachment.php

The Lyman Mustang is a good choice and along the same lines as the two you were debating between . Much higher quality gun . Check it out , i think you might be surprised

1874sharpsshooter said:
The Lyman Mustang is a good choice and along the same lines as the two you were debating between . Much higher quality gun . Check it out , i think you might be surprised

Not if you want to shoot Blackhorn 209. The OEM breech plug has a way too sloppy fit in the primer pocket for anywhere close to reliable instant ignition. At least the one I shot back in 2009 was that way, and I would bet current stock was built before then?

The wood on it might look good in a picture, but it is a faux finish.

The NEW CVA's with the Blackhorn QR Breech Plug truly are a better gun.

I have to agree with Busta. The new CVA's are one sweet shooting gun with BH209. I had a Encore they are a PITA to clean in the breech area an at least mine wasn't consistent. I have no opinion on Knights, never owned one, didn't like their striker system from the start.

Had an LHR Redemption. It was heavy, and scope mounts too far forward for good eye relief. Sold it and bought a CVA Accura V2. Very happy with it. Can't say about a Traditions, as I would not buy one. Good luck with your decision.

How about the Thompson Pro FX? Any opinions on that rifle. I'm checking out CVA too now. Staying away from Traditions and LHR.

MJFlores said:
I checked out the Knight line up and don't really see anything that jumps out at me. They appear to be about as easy to clean as my Black Diamond, although I'm sure they have much better triggers. Nobody seems to like that Traditions striker fired which is unfortunate...I was really hoping it was a great rifle. Not sure where to look next. I hate TC now that they've been bought by S&W but maybe I take another look at and Encore? I was a good trigger and easy cleaning.

If trigger feel & cleaning are big factors for you then the CVA models that I listed earlier all Have exceptional triggers & the best QR breech plug design.

Triggers are light & crisp & because their breech plugs seal differently they DON'T freeze up, they DON'T require a special tool to get them out because they are froze up, & they DON'T need lubricant or teflon tape on the threads.

Greg

I thought you were against tc?
Cva apex you will be very pleased!!! :yeah:

The mounting problem with the lhr has to do not only with gun design but also with the stupid weaver base. A partial solution is to junk the weaver and get a DNZ game reaper one piece made specifically for the lhr. This moves the rear ring as far back as possible without interfering with the retaining collar. This gives you a little more room to move the scope back. It would be smart for lhr to contract with someone like Durasight to make the mount like on the cva. DNZ is rather pricey.

MJFlores said:
How about the Thompson Pro FX? Any opinions on that rifle. I'm checking out CVA too now. Staying away from Traditions and LHR.

Several of my friends have them, they seem to like them alot. I personally have not owned or shot one.

How about the Thompson Pro FX? Any opinions on that rifle. got one its a pain to clean without shooting it cannot take the barrel off.. the breech plug is stainless??? . mine is bad to rust. got a lot play in the frame and the barrel.. my encore don't have that much in it.. had it over 10 years... knight has the Wolverine on sale fore 399

ohiostate 12 said:
How about the Thompson Pro FX? Any opinions on that rifle. got one its a pain to clean without shooting it cannot take the barrel off.. the breech plug is stainless??? . mine is bad to rust. got a lot play in the frame and the barrel.. my encore don't have that much in it.. had it over 10 years... knight has the Wolverine on sale fore 399

I may have mentioned it above..... Many shooters use the T/C Pro Hunter FX. I know of a lot of shooters with them and don't remember a complaint from any of them.

Cleaning is part of muzzleloading, always has been, always will be. Cleaned, lubricated and stored properly and they should not rust, or should any other rifle.

Back