T/C Strike with Leupold Ultimate Slam SABR-Best Load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you guys using to weigh/measure the Blackhorn 209 powder? And what are you storing it in after weighed?

rangerod said:
300 grn Parker Ballistic Extreme. Shoots very well out of my Redemption. 110 grns Black Horn Federal 209A. A little pricey but if only to hunt with no big deal.
Also Barnes290 tez with supplied sabot great option may need to use mmp sabot hph-12 if to loose.

Blackhorn powder vials are great for storage.

I recommend weighing charges. 77 gr weight

I use T/C U-VIEW powder measure. Western powders charge tubes. I agree with bestill. Don't overlook the TEZ it is a great bullet. The Western and Black Horn tubes are the same thing. Muzzle-loader.com has them. For some reason on the accessories page it shows out of stock. If you go to the bh tube page it shows in stock. I have the 20 pack that comes in a nice carry case.

What do all you Nikon inline xr scope users think of the scope?

OK here's where I'm at on this. I ordered the Nikon P series mounts after talking with Nikon on the phone because they told me that it would mount to the weaver rail even though it says it's for a picatinny rail. Well it won't fit on the TC strike which has a weaver style rail. So unless tc is wrong about their rail them Nikon told me wrong.

I finally gave up on trying to find a good mount for the Leupold with the eye relief issue. Since I never opened my Leupold scope, I sent it back and got a Nikon inline XR from a place that allows returns of opened and unmounted scopes.

I've been checking out the Nikon, it seems the eye relief is better. I laid the scope on the ring bases at nine power and look through it. I still had to ever so slightly stretch my head forward to see a clear sight picture, but this was not near as drastic as on the leupold. This Nikon seems like it will be much more comfortable for me with the larger eye relief. I probably like the Leupold reticle better.

Anyways, I have the Nikon inside at 69° with low humidity. I have noticed when I am taking it outside where it is 80°-90 with a pretty high humidity. Both lenses are fogging over for several minutes before they clear to where I can see through the scope. Is this normal for all scopes? Is there something defective with my scope or is this to be expected with all scopes? Are any of you having any problems with fogging on the Nikon Inline xr?
I also ordered the Parker 300 BEs. Where is a good place to buy that blackhorn 209?

If anyone has any more tips on what I need to shop for let me know. I am thinking I need the following:
Federal 209A primers
Blackhorn tubes
Tc u view measuring device.
Some cleaning solvent and oil? What's recommended?
gun Sling?
What else do I need?
Already bought cleaning kits.
Thanks for any help!
I can't wait to try this thing out!

OK so after brushing up on condensation, I believe that what I'm seeing on the scope is just condensation, and that this has nothing to do with the fogging ability of a scope since its on the outside of the scope? When hunting the scope should not experience that rapid of temperature changes .

I like my Nikon Omega and XR scopes. Have one mounted on a heavy recoiling rifle with no problems, 130+ shots and no issues with holding zero. I love the eye relief, never been kissed with one. Some complain in low light conditions that the reticle is too fine and hard to see, I haven't had that issue. Run your numbers online at NikonSpotOn and it will give you a very close indication on what your circles represent in yards.

Sounds like your scope was cold enough to lower the temp of the air touching the the scope to its dew point and cause the water vapor to condense out. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's on the outside and not the inside.

I have the inline xr on a Triumph and no issues with fogging. BH 209 best deal is in 5 lb. Jugs from Wideners. $199.99 plus hazmat and shipping. Maybe someone can chime in with a better deal somewhere else. 10 oz. Bottles usually 35-40 $ somewhere like Cabelas. I like Butchs Bore Shine for home cleaning. I shoot the BE out of my Redemption with inch 1/2 at 100 yds. 110 grns of black horn.

Snug7 said:
What scope are u using on the redemption?
Currently have a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 40. It's all I had to put on it right now. It works ok but am sure I will upgrade with the inline xr down the road. I didn't want to take the one off the Triumph because the gun is shooting so well.

Do I need a scale to measure bh209 powder ?
How accurate is it to just use the tc u-view...what kind of groups will I get?
What would be a good reasonable scale to get?
I got a huge jug of bh209. What is the best way to go from that to smaller amounts to get to the weighed amounts in the tubes?
I bought the tc u-view and some other glass tc thing. I also have the bh tubes. Should I get a scale?

You can measure either way. Weight/volume. I measured volume for a long time with the tc-uview. When I started weighing I found 100 grns by volume in the tc-uview weighed 75 grns. It should have been 70. That's why I started weighing my charges. I'm no expert on scales but I use a Frankford. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer. I use the 10oz bottle of BH and a red pour spout and pour direct from that. As far as accuracy you won't know until you try. In my Redemption I use 110 grns BH pushing either 300 grn Parker Ballistic Extreme or Harvester 300 grn Scorpion PT Gold. Both with Harvester smooth short EZload sabot. Federal 209A primer.

The tc strike uses two types of primer adapters...one says for general purpose and loose powder, the other primer adapter says it is for loose granular powder. Any idea which one would work better with Blackhorn 209?

Anybody have any tips or recommendations on the cleaning process?

I just cleaned the barrel from the breach outward with about three wet patches of black horn 209 cleaner, then I ran two dry patches, then I ran two seasoned patches. When I was pushing through the patches I was using an up-and-down motion back-and-forth back-and-forth from the breach all the way down to the muzzle. This seemed to get the barrel good and clean and I guess the seasoned patches will protect it? When I was pushing the Jag all the way out The muzzle, I would unscrew the Jag and pull the rod back through before reloading the Jag.

The Strike has the breach threading external of the bore. When I took off the breach adapter I looked at the threading on both the breach adater(internal) and barrel (external) this area seemed unaffected , so I did not do any cleaning to it as it appeared to have a little grease on the threads and was basically clean. I took out the primer adapter, and threw it in one of those breech plug bottles, then shook it up and let it sit for a while. Then later took it out and dried it. I did not have anything to clean down inside of it so I just had to dry it and hope it dried out on the inside. I tried to towel it down the best I could. I did not put any grease on this I just put it back in to the rifle and then reattached the breach adapter over the top of it.

I did not use any brushes. Do I need to use a bore brush? This External threading does not appear that it will need much cleaning. Should I have a lube or put grease on the breach adapter or primer adapter?

Basically all I did was clean the barrel as described, take out and clean the primer adapter as described, then put the primer adapter back in dry. Then put the rifle back together. Then wipe down the outside of the metal on the rifle lightly with a T-shirt.

Just looking for advice on cleaning. This is my first time cleaning one.

Also after my brother and I put our exact same TC strike rifles side-by-side for comparison we both clearly preferred the Leupold ultimate slam 3-9 over the Nikon inline 3-9. We actually pulled the Nikon off and are putting it on a backup rifle. The Nikon has better eye relief but other than that we both preferred the Leupold. After shouldering both rifles the eye relief is not a big enough factor to choose the Nikon imo. This is not to say bad things about the Nikon or anyone who chose this scope. At this point I am keeping mine. It is a very popular Scope with lots of Eye relief, but I prefer the Leupold imo for the glass, clarity, reticle, field of view etc. I am just putting in this comment for reference if anyone is trying to decide a scope for the tc strike.

Unfortunately I have actually only got to shoot two shots out of my rifle so far. The way things worked out when we went to shoot, we didn't have time to accomplish a lot and some distractions happened. I think I'm close to zeroed at 100 yards amazingly, since my gun was shooting exactly the same hole as my brothers at 20 yards before we started sighting in (we both have same gun, rings, scope installed by us). He told me the adjustments that he had made to his scope. I made the same adjustments and on my second shot was within 3 inches of the target at 100 yards. I have since tried to make the 3 inch adjustment but have not got another shot yet.

We are also using the Frankfort scale. I just started setting the tare to 0 with the Empty Blackhorn 209 tubes on the scale . Then trying to fill the tubes and recheck the weight until I got it close to 80 grains. I noticed at times that the weight would fluctuate on the scale when the tube was sitting on the scale without moving. It makes me wonder how consistent of a reading I am getting. It seems like I was mainly filling tubes for my brother as he was shooting.

We were trying to use 80 grains of BH209 and 300 grain Parker BEs. I'm not used to heavy recoil as all my other guns have brakes and flash hiders. This load has a pretty good amount of recoil and I'm definitely making sure I have the butt pad firmly in the right place on my shoulder before firing. It gives a pretty good jolt, and requires making sure you have the gun firmly in your shoulder so you don't get hit by the scope. It was pretty fun to shoot, but I don't know if I would want to do it all day long. How much difference is there in the recoil between the 300 grain and 250 grain?

I'm just trying to give my experience, but also asking for advice or suggestions? How many grains should I use of BH209 with the 300 BE.?

Thanks

A few suggestions. Do use a bore brush. I like butches bore shine for home cleaning after a range session and I use the black horn cleaner at the range. Be a little careful with the primer adapter o-ring. Constant soaking not good for. You will want to occasionally change the o-ring. Danco #6- 7/16 OD, 5/16 ID, 1/16. It will never work to try and measure powder directly into the black horn tubes. You will need to use a pan. I found a plastic one that has a small funnel that fits conveniently into the bh charge tubes.

I was trying to use the metal pan that came with the Frankfurt scale, but it did not work well. Even though it has a point on the side of the pan, I could not get all of the powder to pour into the tube.
I have some sort of a large glass funnel container from TC that I started using to just straight fill the tubes. It has a button that lets you slowly release the powder. I was putting the Blackhorn in that and then using that to put it in the tube and weighing the powder in the tubes.

There are many opinions because different things work well for different people.
So here is what works for me.
The 50/40 200 grain Shock Wave or SST with 120 grains of Blackhorn, with a muzzle velocity of 2245 out of a 28 inch barrel and a B.C. of .269 it is both the flattest shooting and the most accurate on 250 yard silhouettes in both my 45 and my 50. I also use the 50/40 Lehigh 200 grain for deer. I have never had a shot opportunity over 188 yards but both have worked well for the shots I have had.

Back