Round 2..Range day...Scope for a Cooper ml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Scope choices for a "Hunting" ml

Sweet! Looking forward to reports. I still think it looks like a long action. Maybe im just spoiled bu muzzleloader proprietary style bolts. For decades I was a strictly Leupold type guy. But lately Ive gotten scopes by Vortex, Weaver, and Nightforce. So far they are all good... but in very different price ranges

RE scope with BDC type reticles. Some folks must like them they seem to sell quite well. Of course there are those who find them to busy and somewhat confusing. Its all a matter of choice. guy

Congrads. That is a beautiful rifle! Cooper always uses some great looking Walnut. Keep us up to date on how it shoots.

I put a Leupold VX2 with LR duplex on my Ultra Lite. It only has 2 dots for elevation so does not look too cluttered, it was on sale so I decided to try one. I have looked trough several scopes that had lots of dots or lines and just personally never cared for them. They just looked to busy for me as a Hunting scope, But I know others like them. I do like some of them for Varmint rifles but not for big game. I think I would like the CDS scopes better. Something I the 3 x 9 or 4 to 12 would be my choice for that rifle. There are some Zeiss Conquest 2x9s still available for a good price. I still think about picking up one of them, Never heard a bad them about them.

http://www.eurooptic.com/zeiss-conquest ... 09920.aspx

I have a VX III 1.75-6 on my Knight and wouldnt trade it for anything. Great low end for thick stuff/ up close and 6x is more than adequate for as far as i'll ever care to shoot.

Thank you for all the information. I think I am leaning toward the VX-3i 3.5-10x50mm CDS. The one thing I am not crazy about is the high mounting necessary to accommodate the 50mm. The majority of my rifle hunting has been with a 30/06 that I am on the second barrel with. I used a Leupold with a 40mm bell mounted dime width from the barrel. That rifle killed everything from elk to rabbits with pistol powder hand loads. When I threw it up it was part of me. The longest shot I have ever made was 406 yards with this rifle at 10X. I don't know if I can get used to the lack of cheek weld from a high mounted scope? With failing eyes the light gathering of the 50mm interests me? Maybe the LEUPOLD VX-3I 4.5-14X40MM CDS that would lower the scope and give higher magnification but I don't know about light the gathering difference?

This is kind of interesting... this does a side by side of a group of scopes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7sju-jaYn4

coaster500 said:
................ I don't know if I can get used to the lack of cheek weld from a high mounted scope? With failing eyes the light gathering of the 50mm interests me but maybe someone here has both and can let me know if there is a big difference?

I know about the failing eyesight, especially after 6 eye surgeries.
I have a Leupold VX6-44mm on a bolt action .450 Bushmaster and VX6x50mm on my BP Xpress. I detect no difference in light gathering between the two.

It may depend on your stock and how well you'll weld your cheek. With my 50mm and with the McMillan stock my cheek is still firmly welded.

FYI, I just bought a Leupold 4.5x14x40 CDS side focus with(and this important) the 30 mm tube. They also make it with an one inch tube. The price is about 100 more fore the 30 mm tube, but it has 112 MOA adjustment and is easier to pick up your target at higher magnification. I mounted this cope on a T/C Omega .45 with low Warne QD rings and I'm very pleased with it, and Leupold is made here in the USA and has a great warranty. I found the best price at Optics Planet (free shipping/no tax),but check Ebay also. Good luck, it's a great looking rifle.

ENCORE50a ..... Nice looking set up!!!

fishhawk2700 I have looked at pretty much all the Leopold offerings and decided I want the cds set up....

I think I still want a lower mounted scope than a standard 50mm would give me. I compared the stock on the Coop to some of my other rifles and shouldered it a few times. I think a 40/44mm will get me in the shooting position I need. One other option would be VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm CDS.... It might offer the best of both?? I wish the lower setting was less than 2 or 3 power but I have hunted with a 4 power fixed in the past without problems.

What do you think?

The scope is now discontinued but most of my scopes are..... I have yet to find a negative review??

This is from the Leopold website.........

Light Optimization Profile
The crescent removed from the lower radius of the objective forms the Light Optimization Profile™, which gives you the low-light advantages of a large objective lens, while hugging the rifle for a lower mount and more comfortable, secure cheekweld. The 50mm VX-3L® mounts as low as a 36mm riflescope, yet delivers 48.6 percent more Total Light Throughput™ (TLT). Likewise, the 56mm VX-3L mounts like a 40mm, and delivers 96 percent more TLT. You’ll also appreciate the uninterrupted, circular field of view, the improved balance, and the quick, accurate aiming that comes with a low-mount cheekweld. While the objective of the VX-3L and has a crescent, your sight picture remains perfectly circular, with crisp, edge-to-edge sharpness across the entire visual field.

How much scope is needed? Elk in Colorado are all killed with open sights in muzzleloader season.

Muley Hunter said:
How much scope is needed? Elk in Colorado are all killed with open sights in muzzleloader season.

Maybe he intends to use the muzzleloader during the rifle season, which is exactly what I'd do. Or for other hunting areas and game.

Not sure why that matters? The DOW says the majority of elk are killed at less than 150 yds for all seasons.

Muley Hunter said:
Not sure why that matters? The DOW says the majority of elk are killed at less than 150 yds for all seasons.

Maybe its because his tag is for NM, or that some people like quality variable scopes. Especially on such a quality muzzleloader as the Cooper. Again, he may be hunting antelope on the plains next, or whitetail in the Midwest over agricultural fields, or moose in Newfoundland. He may end up with a quality long range shot and the higher variable will come in handy.

I drew a New Mexico unit 34 Elk tag for this October and am hoping to use this rifle.

How much scope is needed? Elk in Colorado are all killed with open sights in muzzleloader season

Im not really sure what the DOW says about Colorado has to do with a elk hunt in New Mexico anyway. NM allows scopes and sabots. Colorado does not during the ML season.

coaster500:
Nice looking classic rifle.
The ramrod looks shorter than the barrel in the photo? From other photos of the Cooper, the ramrod looks like a Knight?

FYI:
Leupold tech supervisor Nic K told me a while back that the 50mm only has about 5% more light gathering than their 40mm.

I have no experience with the higher end Leupolds, but the AR platform has worked well on a few in-line ML. I like the target turrets and like the CDS, had some custom ones made to my specific load.

Attachments

• Leupold dial scope 1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 1,459

You are probably right I may never need the magnification for an elk hunt but I if I do? I own a Traditions Ultra Light with a Toby scope I bought just so I could get used to the processes involved with this sport. I have a nephew that will probably end up with it. I also have an Encore that is set up for California with a Ghost ring (no scope allowed in Ca). I don't have the eyes for other types of open sites and in truth a 100 yards for me is a far poke with that set up!!! I just feel after reading information on this site and in other places that if I ever decided to test the 200 grain limits of the Coop better optics would be useful. I think the rifle deserves the best optics I can afford?

For the last 15 years I have hunted almost exclusively with my recurves and longbow but age has made me set them aside for other pursuits and frankly I am looking forward to the process.

I pulled the trigger on the Leupold VX-3L CDS Rifle Scope - 4.5-14x50mm Matte Wind-Plex... at $589.99 at Natchez....it seemed like a lot of scope for the money. I have some low and medium Warne rings and will try to get it as close to the barrel as possible, then when time allows I will work on finding a load the Coop likes. I am really anxious but work right now has the process on hold for a bit....

52Bore the ram rod does look short but I am hoping a spin jag on the end will make it all right. I have one on order for the Parkers and the Barnes...

Again thank you all for your thoughts...

GM54-120 said:
I drew a New Mexico unit 34 Elk tag for this October and am hoping to use this rifle.

How much scope is needed? Elk in Colorado are all killed with open sights in muzzleloader season

Im not really sure what the DOW says about Colorado has to do with a elk hunt in New Mexico anyway. NM allows scopes and sabots. Colorado does not during the ML season.

Simple really. If we can kill them with open sights in ML season and the majority kill them under 150 yds with scopes. How much scope do you need in any state? Everybody thinks Colorado is nothing but open country shots. So, we would be taking the longest shots if it was necessary.

Most of us who use a ML in rifle season still use open sights. I'm not saying for him to use open sights. I'm just saying it's not hard to get close to elk.

Latest posts

Back