New Disc Extreme 52

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twild

Reaction score
Today I picked up a new to me, but very clean Extreme 52. Was wondering who makes conicals for this caliber and what a good starting point would be[ bullets and powder charge]. Real excited about this one and want to get shooting. Have a Colorado elk hunt next year and if I can't get the Omega shooting any better this might be making the trip.

twild said:
Today I picked up a new to me, but very clean Extreme 52. Was wondering who makes conicals for this caliber and what a good starting point would be[ bullets and powder charge]. Real excited about this one and want to get shooting. Have a Colorado elk hunt next year and if I can't get the Omega shooting any better this might be making the trip.

There is a fellow on Gun Broker that use to sell 52 concicals. I have not been there for awhile so I am not sure if he is still on there...

You might try Dan @ bullshop and see if he might have a mold but I do not think he does.

[email protected]

Dan is willing to make them I think a $200 order is required. Also the guy on GunBroker still sells them.

I looked on Gunbroker but could only find 50 cal. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, just typed in conicals in the search area. Also would consider making my own. But really have no idea about any of that, especially where to buy lead.

twild said:
I looked on Gunbroker but could only find 50 cal. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, just typed in conicals in the search area. Also would consider making my own. But really have no idea about any of that, especially where to buy lead.

Try this link

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562418778

pix901406757.jpg

I have a mountaineer and a disc extreme in 52, I have purchased the conicals from the guy on gunbroker and have purchased alot of other cast bullets to plink from him can't beat the price, I am new to full bore conical shooting but have used the ones from the guy with good results, using Alliant BlkMZ, 60-65 grains by volume, and have shot all three weights he carries, the problem I encountered was what type of wad to use, I have tried the 54 cal and 28g, I have read that there is a 32g wad available and that would be one to try, no real big difference in the 54cal or 28g wads with poi but not owning a 54 I got a few from a guy at the range he didn't have use for so I used them up, the weather changed in Az and got real hot, so shooting has slowed down for me I get out and shoot for a half hr or so and only concentrate on saboted bullets at the time, 110g by volume of Alliant BlkMZ with a knight grey sabot and a rainier .458 350grain FN and a w209 primer produces one nasty hole at 100yards, in my mountaineer and disc extreme both are topped with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40

twild said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

Those look really nice , but I wouldn't have time to do any shooting. I'd be to busy working a second job to pay for them.

$1.69 for a bullet . If thats to expensive for a bullet for an elk hunt i would probably reconsider whether or not i could even afford to hunt . The bullet is the cheapest part of any hunt yet that seems to be the one thing everybody wants as cheap as possible. I think i would cut costs someplace else . Eat a cheaper meal , sleep in a cheaper motel , find a cheaper gas station to fill up . Skip a coffee or beer or beverage and use the money for a premium bullet that you can depend on to anchor that elk . You will be glad you did.

1874sharpsshooter said:
twild said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

Those look really nice , but I wouldn't have time to do any shooting. I'd be to busy working a second job to pay for them.

$1.69 for a bullet . If thats to expensive for a bullet for an elk hunt i would probably reconsider whether or not i could even afford to hunt . The bullet is the cheapest part of any hunt yet that seems to be the one thing everybody wants as cheap as possible. I think i would cut costs someplace else . Eat a cheaper meal , sleep in a cheaper motel , find a cheaper gas station to fill up . Skip a coffee or beer or beverage and use the money for a premium bullet that you can depend on to anchor that elk . You will be glad you did.

Thanks for your concern. Long story on how the hunt came to be,but it is one I have to go on or I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror. Have no problem with cost of bullet for a elk hunt, BUT I'll be Dam8ed if I am going to pay that much for everyday shooting. New rifle so excited and will shoot it a lot so probably need to learn to make my own.

sabotloader said:
twild said:

Try this link

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562418778

pix901406757.jpg

I will check that out thanks, still don't know how you found it.

Hac said:
I have a mountaineer and a disc extreme in 52, I have purchased the conicals from the guy on gunbroker and have purchased alot of other cast bullets to plink from him can't beat the price, I am new to full bore conical shooting but have used the ones from the guy with good results, using Alliant BlkMZ, 60-65 grains by volume, and have shot all three weights he carries, the problem I encountered was what type of wad to use, I have tried the 54 cal and 28g, I have read that there is a 32g wad available and that would be one to try, no real big difference in the 54cal or 28g wads with poi but not owning a 54 I got a few from a guy at the range he didn't have use for so I used them up, the weather changed in Az and got real hot, so shooting has slowed down for me I get out and shoot for a half hr or so and only concentrate on saboted bullets at the time, 110g by volume of Alliant BlkMZ with a knight grey sabot and a rainier .458 350grain FN and a w209 primer produces one nasty hole at 100yards, in my mountaineer and disc extreme both are topped with a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40

Thanks for the info, looks like I've got some shopping to do.

I will check that out thanks, still don't know how you found it. type 52 cal on gunbroker it should bring it up .... it show's item #562418778 and 563830193 WORM

Mine has keyholed the 550 grainers from gunbroker so far will be continuing to try different things to get them to shoot, I also got a 52 510 mold a few weeks ago and my sizer will be here in the morning so hopefully I'll be shooting those on Sunday!

ohiostate 12 said:
I will check that out thanks, still don't know how you found it. type 52 cal on gunbroker it should bring it up .... it show's item #562418778 and 563830193 WORM

Thanks I tried 52 conicals and got nothing

Fmfdred56 said:
Mine has keyholed the 550 grainers from gunbroker so far will be continuing to try different things to get them to shoot, I also got a 52 510 mold a few weeks ago and my sizer will be here in the morning so hopefully I'll be shooting those on Sunday!

I'll be watching for a report.

I was really impressed with my 52 I picked up cheap last summer, it's a gem of a shooter for me.
If you can find it, check out a previous post titled '52 500'.

I've purchased and shot the .52 conicals from Gun Broker.

They ranged quite a bit in weight but i grouped them in like weights and they shot fine. For they cost, it's well worth a try.

Thanks guys I'll order some off of Gunbroker. I've ordered a melting pot so I can start pouring my own. Can anyone tell me what all I need?

twild said:
Thanks guys I'll order some off of Gunbroker. I've ordered a melting pot so I can start pouring my own. Can anyone tell me what all I need?

PM Ed Mehlig (user name: edmehlig)- he will help you out. He makes really nice conicals...

Latest posts

Back