New Accura MR rifle advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentstalker

Reaction score
So I just bought a new CVA Accura MR rifle in .50 caliber. Im looking for answers to a couple of questions:

#1- What BP is best for BH 209? The original BP from CVA that is modified, the CVA BH BP, or the Western Powders BP?

#2- Any experience with the Accura MR and any of the following bullets?

300 gr. Barnes Expander MZ with MMP hph-12 sabot
300 gr. .452 XTP's with MMP hph-24 sabot
300 gr. SST with supplied red 3 petal sabot
260 gr. Nosler Partition with MMP hph-12 sabot
300 gr. Scorpion PT with any particular sabot type

If so, what powder charge was successful for you.

I live in Utah with wide open spaces and both mule deer and an occasional elk on the menu!

We use the Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullets for our V2 & MR CVAs. I use 100 gr of T7 while my son uses 100 gr of BH209. I found that a small O-Ring in the primer hole/channel prevents any blowback which can foul the firing pin. O-Rings http://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=y73fh8

The O-Rings should be good for 20/30 shots & you get 100 for about $5. With the use of the O-Rings the 209 primers are clean after being used. You can do a search on the O-Rings use for the CVAs as there is some info on the forums. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... er=2646694

My son had his breech plug modified by Carlos at Bud's Gun Shop to enable a better ignition for the BH 209 powder. He drilled out the flash hole, using a drill press, on the breech plug and the info on the drill size should also be available on the forums. https://www.google.com/search?q=breech+ ... ZUDM7PM%3A

I preciously owned a CVA and have o rings. They work great!

Did your son have the original non BH breech plug modified then?

Anyone else have any pet loads for their Accura?

Carlos modified the original Accura MR breech plug to enable using BH209 powder by making the 'Fire Hole' slightly larger in diameter. It seems that BH209 is harder to set off and needs more of the primer hot gas to light. Some folks can shoot BH209 in their CVAs without any modification to the breech plug. I do NOT have a problem using the T7 powder and the rifle cleaning is also quick and easy.

You might be surprised but I think your gun could shoot a variety of bullet/sabots quite well. It seems like CVA's are like that. In my Optima I've shot good groups with Barnes 290 Tez,300 Scorpion PT Gold and 265 Hornady Ftx (44). Just recently purchased some 300 Thor's to try also.

That's good news that they are not typically finicky guns! Can't wait to get it out shooting soon!

Picked up a BH 209 Breech plug today. Should I be wrapping the threads with teflon tape prior to shooting?

silentstalker said:
Picked up a BH 209 Breech plug today. Should I be wrapping the threads with teflon tape prior to shooting?
Yes you should. One single wrap over all threads. You could also use the anti-seize grease but it's messier. Later when you clean the bp you will want to brush the old tape off. Tape leaves the threads clean. Make sure to check that no tape was left in the barrel threads.

silentstalker said:
So I just bought a new CVA Accura MR rifle in .50 caliber. Im looking for answers to a couple of questions:

#1- What BP is best for BH 209? The original BP from CVA that is modified, the CVA BH BP, or the Western Powders BP?

#2- Any experience with the Accura MR and any of the following bullets?

300 gr. Barnes Expander MZ with MMP hph-12 sabot
300 gr. .452 XTP's with MMP hph-24 sabot
300 gr. SST with supplied red 3 petal sabot
260 gr. Nosler Partition with MMP hph-12 sabot
300 gr. Scorpion PT with any particular sabot type

If so, what powder charge was successful for you.

I live in Utah with wide open spaces and both mule deer and an occasional elk on the menu!

Im going to start with 100 gr. BH and the 260. Gr. Nosler Partition followed by the 300 gr. Scorpion PT followed by the 300 gr. Barnes MZ and TEZ.

Im hoping it likes all of them!

All good choices. I shot a doe a couple years ago with the Tez. Bang flop at 90 yds. Last year a small 8 pointer with the PT Gold at 60 yds. Deer only went 30 yds. The Nosler also a good choice from what I've read.

I used the scorpion last year on a nice mule deer buck. Shot was 10 yards. The buck struggled to make it 40 yards. I would be happy with any of them if they shoot well!

silentstalker said:
I used the scorpion last year on a nice mule deer buck. Shot was 10 yards. The buck struggled to make it 40 yards. I would be happy with any of them if they shoot well!
You certainly have the right attitude. Whatever you choose accuracy reigns supreme.

silentstalker said:

On that plug tape is not needed. It seals on the nose of the plug. You do need to make sure you "marry" it to the barrel correctly with a installation tool the first time you install it. Seat it very firmly and then break it loose. After that you should be able to just install by hand.

If the action wont close it has not been seated correctly the first time.

Try 100 grains of IMR White Hots and a 338 grain Powerbelt Platinum... one load that will work well for about any critter out there and should shoot great in your Accura... :drinkers:

GM54-120 said:
silentstalker said:

On that plug tape is not needed. It seals on the nose of the plug. You do need to make sure you "marry" it to the barrel correctly with a installation tool the first time you install it. Seat it very firmly and then break it loose. After that you should be able to just install by hand.

If the action wont close it has not been seated correctly the first time.

Thanks for the heads up. I used the tool to tighten it in place but only went about an 1/8 of a turn, i was not sure at the time how tight to go. should I marry it quite a bit tighter? It came with very little in the way of directions.

Latest posts

Back