using 405 gr .459 bullets....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Ive been doing some testing with Missouri 405 gr hard cast .459 bullets that I normally use in my 45-70. Ive been having some really good success with 75 grs of BH209 in all three of my ML's (Optima, Wolf and Mountaineer).

Has anyone used them on deer? Im thinking they would be great with a wide flat nose and heavy bullet but I have no actual knowledge.

Ive shot man deer with WFN bullets in my 44 magnum.

Are you sizing them to fit your bore?
Hard cast and 0.459" are good for cartridge rifles. Hard cast heavy bullets - will just punch a 45 hole thru a deer, regardless of nose.

52Bore said:
Are you sizing them to fit your bore?
Hard cast and 0.459" are good for cartridge rifles. Hard cast heavy bullets - will just punch a 45 hole thru a deer, regardless of nose.

I didnt resize just used them as is and shot them in a mmp orange sabot....

You won't get much for expansion on them but they should be trucking along pretty good enough to put a hurt on anything they tag. I think I'd probably try them if accuracy is satisfactory. If you're really not sure, maybe see if Ron would let you send him some to try for his water jug test? Seems like that's a pretty good indicator of how a bullet will react to game.

SuperKirby said:
You won't get much for expansion on them but they should be trucking along pretty good enough to put a hurt on anything they tag. I think I'd probably try them if accuracy is satisfactory. If you're really not sure, maybe see if Ron would let you send him some to try for his water jug test? Seems like that's a pretty good indicator of how a bullet will react to game.

Yea I know with the expansion it would be a non factor because of their hardness but Im thinking they would react the same as my 44 mag WFN; no expansion but massive energy transfer. The last deer I shot with my 44 mag and a similar bullet was hit right behind the shoulder at 65 yards. When hit you could see the deer shudder, she took a few steps and fell over. On field dressing the heart was jello and lungs were shredded pretty good.

Tests will tell though

Back