vent liner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr1445

Reaction score
i have 3 cva's that use the old optima, wolf, kodiax hex head breech plugs. i would like to have them modified with a vent liner. anyone presently doing that work? thanks

I'd be interested in the same. I have two BP for the gun and could easily send one out.

I have a couple too. One for a 45 cal. Contender and one for a knight ultralight. Any interest? Thanks!

I have 8 for the mountaineer with the brazzed in vent liner. Ha , ha, just kidding. Looks like your going to be swamped.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Something about the braze process super hardens the vent, and the plug. Removing, and replacing the brazed vent liner really dulls tools. To me It isn't cost effective to replace the brazed vent liner. Bestill is providing a custom fit breech plug to replace the 'hardened' plugs. Bestill is the one to contact for a better plug for the Knight. The bestill plug will fix eroded flash holes, and blow back.

The CVA plugs are readily fixable.

The contender plug should be readily fixable; i don't really know what it looks like.

Please be informed the vent liner installation will not, will not, fix blow back.

Contact me via pm for particulars.

herschel conyers said:
I have 8 for the mountaineer with the brazzed in vent liner. Ha , ha, just kidding. Looks like your going to be swamped.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haha I'm sure Ron was loving that post when he first saw it... :mrgreen:

Years ago i had Ron make me a vented plug for a pre-QRBP CVA. It worked flawlessly with BH209. Buy the firing pin bushing shim kit from CVA for $7 and CAREFULLY shim the bushing to give you a .003 crush on a WIN209 primer. Since the Win209 is the longest you wont run into over crushing any other brand of primers.

The CVA plugs also will take the Euro primers (Cheddite, Nobel and Fiiochi) but they are shorter. They are also fatter and fit the primer pocket a tad better IMO. These are ideal IF you are super careful not to use a longer USA made primer without reshimming. It only takes a few minutes to shim that bushing if you ever want to switch primer brands.

I have to give Ron a plug (pun intended) on his vent liner fix for the CVA BP's. I have them installed in both my Optima V2 pistol and rifle. Blow back is very little an ignition with BH is instant! The Winchester W209 just fell out of the pocket also. I also prefer the cleanup with the vent liner plug vs the Blackhorn plug from CVA. Just my experiences...

Latest posts

Back