CAUTION!!! - This is an open forum. The views and/or practices expressed herein are NOT APPROVED by ModernMuzzleloader.com and may be inaccurate and/or unsafe. Therefore, all information and advice provided by the participants of this forum should be considered with extreme caution and verified prior to implementation. For correct muzzleloading procedures please refer to your Owner’s Manual or contact the respective manufacturer.

Using Inlines for Coyotes

Discuss non-smokeless Inline muzzleloading here! Inline rifles and shotgun talk is welcome here!

Moderators: sabotloader, cayuga, Senior Moderators

Old No7

Using Inlines for Coyotes

Postby Old No7 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am

Since I've from Maine, it's always been said that "A dead coyote -- is a good coyote".

So I'm thinking to extend my season with the inline T/C Omega -- I'll use it on a few coyote hunts this wintah.

The 250g XTP from a crushed rib sabot ought to "crush a few ribs" for sure!!!

Anyone else use their inlines for coyotes?

Oh, and just for grins... Check this out!!!

Coyote Helper.jpg
Coyote Helper.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000

MrTom
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Using Inlines for Coyotes

Postby MrTom » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 am

We have an abundance of yotes here in SE Minnesota and I've threatened to do them bodily harm for years. This thread may be the one that gets me going on the project. Thanks.

deadeyedick

Postby deadeyedick » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 am

I was deer hunting with my rifle last week and a coyote showed up on the seen. When he stopped, his butt was the only thing sticking out from behind a tree. I waited for him to take a couple of more steps to be in the clear but when he started walking he never stopped again so I never had a good shot at him. I did not want to shoot him in the butt. Either a clean kill or no shot so I chose no shot.

GoexBlackhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Postby GoexBlackhorn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 am

I would have shot at that coyote and a butt-shot wouldn't matter to me.
I've witnessed them harm other animals, causing suffering and pain to other small animals.... maybe lasting years.

They've bitten / mauled quite a few children in residential areas here. That's one breed of animal I do not respect. Another are pitbulls (yes, residential ones living on your city block) and if you ever saw injury registers at Metro Detroit hospital emergency rooms, that'll tell you why I feel that way. Those reports at area hospitals are for both children and adults.

I won't kill any neighbor's pitbull found in my backyard. But if I don't know the dog's ownership, then that particular pitbull better not come charging at me on my property in a threatening manner...... no sirree. He will be taking a long-long dirtnap if he does.

I walk my dog on two separate two mile walks every day. He's been attacked by neighboring dogs 26 times in the past six years. 22 of those dogs were pitbull varieties. I carry a 16 inch billy/bat club on our walks. I've used it 10-11 times and bloodied that club twice. I'm not paying $450 for vet-repairs to my dog's body anymore.

Once is enough and I learned the hard way to protect both me and my dog on those walks!

ENCORE50A
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Postby ENCORE50A » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:10 am

Any hunt I've been on and a coyote shows up, it immediately becomes a coyote hunt. Had one come right into the yard after our dog, but I seen it coming. The 17HMR took care of the problem quickly. It became a mount.
WITNESS MARKS ON ALL RAMRODS!!!

Ultimate Firearms .50 BP Xpress Hunter "Idacide"
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Ultimate Firearms .450 Bushmaster "Game Breaker"
Leupold VX6, 3-18x44 CDS, Firedot reticle

herschel conyers
Veteran
Veteran

Postby herschel conyers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am

Ive killed 3 coyotes over the years with inlines, 2 with xtp 1 with 250 tmz . Amazing what the tmz will do to an animal as small as a coyote.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk
HC

Okie Hog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Okie Hog » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

i kill coyotes with muzzleloaders. The coyotes here are very brazen: They hear a gunshot as a dinner bell. Several times coyotes have beaten me to fallen animals.

Try this: After field dressing an animal, set up on the gut pile.

Squeeze
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Squeeze » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Ive been wanting to get one with a muzzy. Ive shot a few with a bow, just incidental to deer hunting. Ive seen this before on other forums, and there seems to be two schools of thought. One is any coyote you can get, and another is one shot usually isnt enough. All you do is educate any others in the pack. Have a full clip, and get em all.
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others." - Pericles

Hornet22savage
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby Hornet22savage » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Shot one Saturday with 185 gr. Lehigh.
Hornet22savage

NYSRPA Member
54 cal. MK-95 Magnum Elite Winter Camo/Black Ice / Leupold VX-5HD
45 Knight DISC Elite / Vortex Viper HS
KRB7 Black Stainless / Bushnell 3200 Elite

twild
Veteran
Veteran

Postby twild » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm

I picked up a caller earlier this year, will have to give it a go after deer season. I don't normally shoot them while deer hunting unless middle of day. One of the guys I hunt on always manages to shoot one in the magic last 15 minutes of day light. I just shake my head it is his ground. We are hunting ag fields so there might be 10 to 15 does out there grazing just waiting for the stud to show. But he has no interest in hunting them any other time of the year. But at least it keeps me busy trapping.

Dougs136Schwartz
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dougs136Schwartz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm with Encore50 . If a coyote shows up when I'm deer hunting then I'm dog hunting . I'll shoot those coyotes where ever I can hit them . They kill anything they can catch I have no use for wild dogs !

WV Hunter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby WV Hunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 pm

I've never gotten one with a ML. I have with a rifle. I'm with you guys... one shows up he's going down if at all possible. We have a decent amount here, but rarely see them. Hear them alot. I actually haven't seen one while hunting in 3 yrs. Maybe this weekend with my X7 :yeah:
Mike

Philippians 4:13

deadeyedick

Postby deadeyedick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 am

twild wrote:I picked up a caller earlier this year, will have to give it a go after deer season. I don't normally shoot them while deer hunting unless middle of day. One of the guys I hunt on always manages to shoot one in the magic last 15 minutes of day light. I just shake my head it is his ground. We are hunting ag fields so there might be 10 to 15 does out there grazing just waiting for the stud to show. But he has no interest in hunting them any other time of the year. But at least it keeps me busy trapping.

I shot one while deer hunting last year early in the morning. Not five minutes later another showed up but saw me before I saw it and took off. Killed a deer a couple of hours later. Never moved. Everything seems to settle down in the woods rather quickly. If anything, it might get things moving when they are not.

deadeyedick

Postby deadeyedick » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:30 am

GoexBlackhorn wrote:I would have shot at that coyote and a butt-shot wouldn't matter to me.

I thought about it and I probably would have ended up killing it after breaking it down in the rear but I just did not have the heart to wound without killing quickly. While coyotes are rather distructive and I do shoot them, they are what God created them to be. Just doing what comes natural to them.

twild
Veteran
Veteran

Postby twild » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am

deadeyedick wrote:
twild wrote:I picked up a caller earlier this year, will have to give it a go after deer season. I don't normally shoot them while deer hunting unless middle of day. One of the guys I hunt on always manages to shoot one in the magic last 15 minutes of day light. I just shake my head it is his ground. We are hunting ag fields so there might be 10 to 15 does out there grazing just waiting for the stud to show. But he has no interest in hunting them any other time of the year. But at least it keeps me busy trapping.

I shot one while deer hunting last year early in the morning. Not five minutes later another showed up but saw me before I saw it and took off. Killed a deer a couple of hours later. Never moved. Everything seems to settle down in the woods rather quickly. If anything, it might get things moving when they are not.

I get what you are saying. I guess I'm just anal, I put in to much time and effort into getting into and out of the woods with the littlest amount of a chance for the deer to know I'm there. So I'm not ruining that to shoot a dog. Bowhunting is a different story I'll stick everyone I get the chance to.

Fmfdred56
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Fmfdred56 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 am

i usually take an assortment of rifles and a shotgun on each stand. never taken a front stuffer but would be fun!

Bearman 49

Postby Bearman 49 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 am

The guy i bought my wolf from said he use to set on his porch and blast the coyotes across the street in a field,i eye measured the distance and was having a little problem where he said he was shooting at least a couple hundred yards. I sighted my wolf in for 50yds.never tried any longer.when i said street i should of said dirt road,way out in the country.I do know its against the law to shoot across roads or streets,but where he lived i really don't think it mattered.
Don't know if this is true or not but heard from a close friend coyotes are packing up for hunting down here in KY.Might be wise to carry a pistol when hunting with a one shot.

LarryBud
Old Timer
Old Timer

Postby LarryBud » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:08 pm

I used to shoot Yotes while deer hunting.

Deer hunting has gotten much better since I stopped the practice.

Return to “Inline Muzzleloading”