This Old Gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
A month or two back I was following with great interest GM54-120's discussion of making some barrel sizing dies with barrel drops from Green Mountain Barrel. He pointed me to their website and I found this during my surf:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=324031

Well as soon as I saw the words "Special Project Muzzleloader Barrels" I knew I would end up buying a .45 cal. barrel to replace the .50 cal. in my Traditions Buckhunter Pro. I bought that gun as a rescue 10 or 11 yrs ago and found it in the condition that makes ML lovers cringe. After much tender care I got it shooting great and actually came to like that particular rifle a lot. Simple, plunger action, very reliable & accurate shooter that never failed to put meat in the freezer. The old gal had a terminal case of pitting however, in the powder column area and despite lapping and polishing I could never truly stay ahead of the corrosion. It was only going to be a matter of time before I felt that the pitting was too deep to shoot safely. Then I saw these barrels. $35 for a GM barrel originally headed for a Knight Disc Rifle. MAN! I couldn't pass that up. I bought it and said a little prayer for a 1:20 twist. Five days later it arrived and after a careful swabbing of the bore with a tight patch - TA DA! 1:20 twist (PTL!)

The cosmetic appearance was a little rough, a few minor dings & scratches and a little spotty corrosion which I just chalked up to it still being in the white. (un-blued regular steel barrel) It wasn't until I chucked it up in the lathe that I discovered what I think was the main discrepancy: the bore was non-concentric to the OD at the breech end, but not a lot. The good news for me was since I was going to take a little material off to match the OD of the original barrel I was able to more or less fix this by taking material off about half way down the barrel. The muzzle was pretty much dead on center. I did diminish the amount of taper by about 50% but since the old barrel wasn't tapered at all I feel like I came out ahead anyway.

Here's a few pics of the project:

Buckhunternewbarrel001.jpg

Buckhunternewbarrel002.jpg

Buckhunternewbarrel003.jpg

The hardest part of this project was the bluing. I used Birchwood Casey cold bluing solution. It turned out pretty well but it was tricky to apply evenly. I haven't had a chance or the weather to go out and shoot it yet but I am really looking forward to my next range trip!

Interesting project Jackey. How does the diameter of the green mountain barrel compare to that on your .451? It would be nice to be able to use the same conicals in both or are you going to use sabots in the project gun?

The bore in the GM barrel is exactly .450 but I haven't polished it at all. it may end up being really close to the .451. It also seems to be tightest at the crown or choked a bit. After getting a bullet past the crown it slips right on down like the White.

Can't wait to shoot it. I'd love any and all recommendations on saboted loads for it. I'm betting it shoots the stuff the White likes pretty dang well.

Verdy INTerestinggggg!!

I plan on doing something similar with one of mine. I managed to get a 1-20 also and i have a new 1.25 OD 45cal 1-30 barrel blank for a heavy barrel project.

Latest posts

Back