Lion!?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AH. I see what you are looking at. It is behind the cut or broke off limb that points up and to the right. The small area just behind that limb is a little different in each photo. Good eyes Ron.

Somebody keeps driving through locked gates in the vicinity. It is my suspicion it is the biologist tracking them lion with a radio receiver. Others are driving past signs saying 'no motorized vehicles'. It kinda ruins my day when i walk a trail that has four wheeler tracks on it, if it is signed 'no motorized vehicles'. However, i don't think the Fish & Game would drive a trail marked for walking only. Probably lion hunters are driving where they shouldn't.

It seems to me the Fish & Game knows where momma lion is, but i wonder if they know she has 2 cubs; they are quite small/new. It depends, i guess, when they collared her.

HunterB4 said:
This post is so cool!!!!!!

Very cool but I'd be sure to be armed and using the buddy system in those woods! That mama is a big cat and we know for sure there was a daddy there at least once.

HunterB4 said:
This post is so cool!!!!!!

Very cool but I'd be sure to be armed and using the buddy system in those woods! That mama is a big cat and we know for sure there was a daddy there at least once.

P1030091.JPG

P1030092.JPG

Them track were photographed yesterday afternoon. They are about 4 1/2 air mile from where the Ma lion stored the deer. It may be these are from a different lion, and could be they were made by Pa.

Looks like a Folding Knife to me, but I can see where it looks like a butt plate.

X2. Made my day.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

We have had a lion season here, every year for the past few, beginning December 26, the day after Christmas. To me it seems to be a great success. Dogs cannot be used in the National Forest. Electronic calls may be used. Good tracking snow is a big help. There are a some lion hunting devotee that are really into the hunt. No longer do i see lion tracks where i do a lot of shooting, and there are more deer there than when i found the buried lion kill. This year i only saw one lion track where i hunt deer. Before Fish & Game established the lion hunting season it was almost common to find lion in town. Lion still kill folks pets, but there aren't as many lion in town these days. Some, including me, advocate allowing non-residents to hunt lion, but the local lion hunters keep that from happening.

One morning, several years ago in the false dawn, i saw neighbor's cat in our tree. What i figured it was doing was planning to ambush the birds that frequent our yard. Previously, we had seen the cat climb our trees, and await a chance to ambush the birds. Well i aimed to put a halt to that, and brought out a pellet rifle. What i figured was, the cat would come flying out of the tree when shot, but at the shot the cat just flinched. Wow was i ever surprised. Wondering what the heck, i reloaded, and walked out there under the tree. That was when i saw there were two of them, and realized they weren't the neighbor's cat.

Cubs in our back yard. Clicking on the photo's brings an enlarged version.

Never did see mother lion. Waited until mid afternoon for ma, but she never showed. One of the kittens couldn't wait any longer, and came down out of the tree to pee; the other followed, and they went away. One thing surprised me was what poor climbers they were, when they about fell to the ground.

That was some great Pics Ron! I love seeing that stuff. Just so cool!

I went hunting upstate (NY) in the Catskills MTs one year with an older friend who had a place up there. I got there after Dark planning to hunt the next day. He told me he had shot a nice Doe but got Dark on him before he found it. He had fallen and injured his shoulder in the dusk light around some Tree Tops (Area had been Logged the previous year). I went in with him and tracked the doe just about 30 yards past where he stopped. It had jumped right through a tree top and was in the other side of it out of site. When I found it I called him over to check it out. There had been some snow that week and it was all disturbed around that side of the tree top. The Doe looked just like the one in your picture with the entire belly gone! Looking around I found Black Bear tracks all over. The Bear found it in the night and stuffed his belly full. He did not bury it though and did not touch the quarters or backstrap. So we cut the quarters off and the backstrap out and packed them out. He vowed to get that bear the next season, but passed before he had the chance.

This Thread brought back a Great hunting memory for me. Thanks for bringing it up.

A Hound Hunting friend climbed a tree beside this this Big Tom and poked him with a stick to get him to jump so they could run him with their Dogs again :D They are actually way up there, That was zoomed in on him

Kind of a cool pic

ronlaughlin said:
Searched for this thread to find the photo of the neck of a deer strangled by a lion.

P1030066.JPG

Found the thread so interesting; brought it back

Had it been skinned i would bet it’s neck was broken, and likely had claw marks on 1 side of its face. Cougars are ABSOLUTE stealth killing machines!! My dad hunted hounds about 30-35 years, over that time he seen a bunch of their kills and 1 thing they all shared in common was no struggle, when in the snow it appeared the deer had tipped over dead in its tracks. Cougars will literally wipe deer out if they are not kept in check, they kill at least 1 deer a week according to study. They literally wiped out the Mountain Goats where i use to live on the Wa coast, along with the Mountain Blacktail deer. The Blacktail deer that are left over there live in rural areas, farm fields, mostly around houses/developments etc. They are pretty much extinct in the high Mountains

Few more pictures, my Dad gave me 2 of his old picture albums from back in his Hound Days, they are full of Cougar pictures. And it was EXTREMELY RARE that he took pictures, My Dad has seen more cougars over the years than one could ever imagine

This one killed this Mountain Goat, the kill was found close to where the Cat was treed by the dogs, This young guy wanted to get a cougar so my dad took him along and let him get it

Latest posts

Back